What's new

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Now we need Moulin Rouge in 4K. PLEASE Disney and I'm well aware Disney doesn't care what I want.

Personally, I'd prefer Strictly Ballroom, but Moulin Rouge would not be unwelcome.
I've been a fan of Luhrmann since Strictly Ballroom and would love at the very least a new HD master of it. It was a very low budget film, so I'm not sure what 4K and an HDR polish might bring.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I didn't get much of an impression from the actor playing Elvis in the trailers so I never went nor is much mentioned here as to his performance. For me he looked nothing like Elvis not that you need to but this guy bone structure was very finely featured. Kurt Russell was amazing as Elvis early in Kurt's adult career and look da lot like him I thought. I'll give it a go on HBO but Luhrmann's ADD editing style is not for me so I'm sure I'll have the remote handy. Technically sounds like it's a marvel though like MRouge was.

Last edited:

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
As much as I wanted to like this film, I only really enjoyed the spectacular concert scenes. I just got exhausted by the frenetic editing for two and a half hours - akin to watching something made by Michael Bay.
oh, a lot more coherent than Michael Bay. Not just MB's overwhelming noise and visual chaos. There's some heart too. It's definitely a collage but not unlike Scorsese in let's say The Wolf of Wall Street. I loved it and it worked for me.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
oh, a lot more coherent than Michael Bay. Not just MB's overwhelming noise and visual chaos. There's some heart too. It's definitely a collage but not unlike Scorsese in let's say The Wolf of Wall Street. I loved it and it worked for me.
Michael Bay is no artist. Elvis is a work of art.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I noticed it’s on HBO Max in 4K/Dolby Vision and Atmos. I will watch it there to determine if I like it enough to purchase the 4K disc or digital.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Saw this at a Dolby Cinema with my Mom and Brother this past Summer. I really enjoyed it. Played loose with some of the facts, but not as much as Bohemian Rhapsody. It's Baz, the Ken Russell of our time, and I mean that as a compliment. Ken with huge budgets and all of the great technology at his disposal. Start the movie off loud and big and brash and fast, that way he grabs you and you are in, and about 40 minutes in, he slows down the pace and you don't know it. That's the difference with Ken and Baz. I really loved it, and I thought Austin was great, and was happy Hanks finally played an unlikeable character. But I really loved how it showed the influence that black culture played on Elvis and really tried to put to bed some of the myths.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Saw this at a Dolby Cinema with my Mom and Brother this past Summer. I really enjoyed it. Played loose with some of the facts, but not as much as Bohemian Rhapsody. It's Baz, the Ken Russell of our time, and I mean that as a compliment. Ken with huge budgets and all of the great technology at his disposal. Start the movie off loud and big and brash and fast, that way he grabs you and you are in, and about 40 minutes in, he slows down the pace and you don't know it. That's the difference with Ken and Baz. I really loved it, and I thought Austin was great, and was happy Hanks finally played an unlikeable character. But I really loved how it showed the influence that black culture played on Elvis and really tried to put to bed some of the myths.
it's 1000x better than Bohemian Rhapsody - which I enjoyed because I love the music and era. But it's a fairy tale. But as cinema, as performance, as avoidance of cliche Elvis is astounding. Baz turns into something larger than life and spectacle. He does justice to it.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
it's 1000x better than Bohemian Rhapsody - which I enjoyed because I love the music and era. But it's a fairy tale. But as cinema, as performance, as avoidance of cliche Elvis is astounding. Baz turns into something larger than life and spectacle. He does justice to it.
Exactly. Very larger than life and large scale filmmaking. As opposed to a standard bio-pic, it's an epic IMO. People have issues with Stone's The Doors, but he also was trying to create something big in scope that was not just a standard bio-pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks