What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Downton Abbey - Season Two -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Hmmm. So I ordered Season 2 (US) and it's waiting for me at Walmart. Should I pick it up?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Ray H said:
Hmmm. So I ordered Season 2 (US) and it's waiting for me at Walmart. Should I pick it up?
Just my very humble opinion, but I think you should probably let that one go and spring for the true British version.
I notice the problems. I did actually see them the first time I played it, but I thought it was my player (a ps3 that usually gives me not problems at all).
It's watchable, imho, but it is distracting--and it's a good enough show that it deserves a good quality presentation.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
There is a slight motion blur in some panning shots but that is not unique to THIS set and doesn't take away from my enjoyment.
I'm sorry I don't find the disc even remotely unwatchable.
This is my experience as well. And as I mentioned earlier, I found this series totally unwatchable on my local PBS station (Channel 16 in Dayton, Ohio). Terrible jumping, jerking, skipping, etc, even in shots of someone walking across a room.
I see some minor motion blur on some shots on the Blu Ray, but having just finished watching all of Season 2, and even looking for the problems described here (I haven't done the frame-by-frame thing), I'm just not seeing it.

My set up:

Sony Blu Ray player, HDMI, 37" Panasonic PH9 Plasma Display

My Panasonic plasma is one of the commercial models that required purchasing and installing the HDMI input board separately. The board I bought doesn't support 1080p, and currently I have the Sony player set at 720p. Could that make a difference in whether I see these problems or not?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Will Krupp /t/318842/a-few-words-about-downton-abbey-season-two-in-blu-ray/60#post_3904002
I'm sure you don't actually mean that in the condescending way it sounds

It's supposed to be so awful that I don't even need to "look for it" do I?
I don't see a jitter or a drag and everything looks smooth and lovely to me. What can I say? I looked and watched and got caught up in the story all over again but saw no problems with the picture.
There is a slight motion blur in some panning shots but that is not unique to THIS set and doesn't take away from my enjoyment.
I'm quite certain that it wasn't meant in that manner.

As this is something very obvious, I'm led to believe (and I don't understand the technical anomalies behind it) that some hardware/software that may attempt to convert the 1080i format to 1080p, is somehow masking the problem, which is not a huge problem on season one, but is abhorrent on season 2.

And this if fine, for those in that situation.

There is a qualifier, however, which is that when you move to a newer, larger, different profile, system, the problem may be in one's face, and too late to return to the vendor.

My general advice is to avoid the PBS Blu-ray release at all cost. The alternative (ordering the UK original via Amazon UK) is far too easy.

BTW, the term "Original UK Version" has no meaning regarding quality. The problem is with the PBS Masterpiece "Original UK Version." It is the original UK set of discs, from Universal, that are problem free.

RAH

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Will Krupp /t/318842/a-few-words-about-downton-abbey-season-two-in-blu-ray/60#post_3904002
I'm sure you don't actually mean that in the condescending way it sounds

I don't see a jitter or a drag and everything looks smooth and lovely to me. What can I say? I looked and watched and got caught up in the story all over again but saw no problems with the picture.
Will, as I said in my review thread on this title, I didn't see the problem either on my equipment. Remember the controversy that Criterion's Blu-ray of Howards End created? Some found IT unwatchable and others thought it lovely. I'm of a mind that different combinations of equipment react differently to different media. There really is no other explanation.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/318842/a-few-words-about-downton-abbey-season-two-in-blu-ray/60#post_3904063
Will, as I said in my review thread on this title, I didn't see the problem either on my equipment. Remember the controversy that Criterion's Blu-ray of Howards End created? Some found IT unwatchable and others thought it lovely. I'm of a mind that different combinations of equipment react differently to different media. There really is no other explanation.
You know, it's funny you mention HOWARD'S END Matt because I was thinking the same thing (but I just chalked it up to both being British productions, set in the same time period and both of what my partner is fond of calling the "endless scenes of English countryside and people drinking tea" school of storytelling. He's a phillistine but that's off topic) as I remember not seeing the problems in that disc either.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/318842/a-few-words-about-downton-abbey-season-two-in-blu-ray/60#post_3904060

There is a qualifier, however, which is that when you move to a newer, larger, different profile, system, the problem may be in one's face, and too late to return to the vendor.
This is what bothers and scares me. I got this player specifically for its chipset and would love (ideally) to have it forever, but I know these things don't last for eternity (and it currently requires that I keep a disc in the tray and have it powered on at all times else it makes this terribly distracting perpetual clicking/clunking sound and I know that ain't good.) I hate to think I'll realize how good I had it when eventually forced to replace.

I would assume the player is making no attempt to deinterlace as the TV is reading a 60hz feed and not 24fps (which it would if the signal it received from the player was 1080p, correct?) so maybe that does have something to do with it but I'm not sure.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Will Krupp /t/318842/a-few-words-about-downton-abbey-season-two-in-blu-ray/60#post_3904129
You know, it's funny you mention HOWARD'S END Matt because I was thinking the same thing (but I just chalked it up to both being British productions, set in the same time period and both of what my partner is fond of calling the "endless scenes of English countryside and people drinking tea" school of storytelling. He's a phillistine but that's off topic) as I remember not seeing the problems in that disc either.
Howard's end was a different problem. That, as I recall, dealt with the scanner chip. Downton involves 1080i, frame rates, and repeated frames.

It is therefore safe to drink tea in the English countryside.

RAH

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Will Krupp said:
I'm sure you don't actually mean that in the condescending way it sounds ;)
I don't see a jitter or a drag and everything looks smooth and lovely to me. What can I say?  I looked and watched and got caught up in the story all over again but saw no problems with the picture.  
Those who know me and my history on these sorts of boards know that when I'm condescending there is nothing subtle about it :) So, you are quite correct that I don't actually mean it to be condescending, nor do I see anything in my simple sentence that sounds anything like condescension - it was just a question. Condescending would be, "Hey twit, do you even know what to look for, because apparently you don't." :) I've mended my ways (no mean feat) and don't do those kinds of posts anymore.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Can someone help me with this. My daughter loves the show and I want to get her either the dvd or blu ray. I heard the US versions are edited. So people say get the UK versions. But, the UK is reg.2. Does anyone have a link to where I can get a region free unedited copy?
Thanks!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'm not sure the UK is region B - I think it's region free - I'll check in a bit. The US version on DVD and Blu-ray, as far as I know, are complete -

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
haineshisway said:
/t/318842/a-few-words-about-downton-abbey-season-two-in-blu-ray/60#post_3904264
Can someone help me with this. My daughter loves the show and I want to get her either the dvd or blu ray. I heard the US versions are edited. So people say get the UK versions. But, the UK is reg.2. Does anyone have a link to where I can get a region free unedited copy?
Thanks!
The PBS airings of Series 1 were edited for broadcast, but the DVD and Blu-ray are complete. There are people on Amazon who are confused and keep fostering this confusion by claiming that there are cut versions on the discs. I have not seen any disc available in a cut version.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by todd s /t/318842/a-few-words-about-downton-abbey-season-two-in-blu-ray/60#post_3904264
Thanks!
If you have following this thread, you are aware that the PBS versions are problematic to some on some equipment. It is best to steer clear of them. I suggest ordering the UK version on Blu-ray from Amazon UK. There are domestic U.S. vendors selling the Universal UK version via Amazon, and charging far too high a price. For example, via domestic Amazon, you'll pay $60 for the UK series 1 and $90 for the set of both seasons. If you visit Amazon UK, you'll find the 2 season boxed set for 23 Pounds UK, which converts to about $36.

Also, be aware that only the Blu-ray discs are region-free. The UK standard definition DVD is PAL format.

These are beautifully photographed productions, and only the Blu-ray takes full advantage of the quality.

RAH

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I purchased the two at the bottom of the page. The blu-ray UK verison from Amazon USA. I did not have any problems with any of the two seasons. My Stepmom had given me season 1 UK DVD which she bought at B&N and there were not any problems on that Ist season dvd. I am just glad I have been lucky from what everyone here is talking about.
I could be wrong but I thought maybe I saw on season 2 3 minutes cut out of some episodes which I had not seen on PBS but I am sure I am wrong in that.
I love the show! I also found watching season 1 and then watching season 2 after the show ended on PBS made me appreciate the second season much more. I just wonder where they plan to go with season 3?

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Mark Collins /t/318842/a-few-words-about-downton-abbey-season-two-in-blu-ray/60#post_3904341
I just wonder where they plan to go with season 3?
Hopefully anywhere BUT toward the "maybe he is/maybe he isn't" disfigured relative story (thought I'm afraid it must rear it's head at some point as it was shuffled off too quickly)

OneKenneth

Auditioning
Real Name
Kenneth Smith
I watched season one through HuluPlus in 720p piped to my projector and was often distracted by a softer than normal picture that was quite jumpy. Obviously the material used for many distribution methods has issues. Very disappointing, I'm ready to watch season two now. Guess I'll skip the blu-ray version and maybe grab it off iTunes. It is natural to think such a production would be lush in its presentation; what a bummer!

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Oddly, there was about a minute that was in the PBS broadcast that is NOT on the blu-ray! (spoiler)
For those who saw the broadcast, there was a small snippet that happened after the singing of "If You Were the Only Girl in the World".
While they were standing in the hall, Matthew and Mary are talking and a soldier goes by in a wheelchair. Matthew looks "haunted" and Mary asks him why. He says that when he is at Downton it doesn't feel real, and that he is haunted because he knows he has to go back. Mary tells him to hold on, that it can't be much longer--and grabs him by the arm.
Now, this is NOT on the UK blu or dvd. Sad and pathetic as it is, I have to admit to having both of them.:D I had seen the UK dvd before the PBS broadcast , and then I watched the broadcast and lo and behold--there was this minute or two that I hadn't seen on the dvd. I guess no version has the whole thing, and I realize that I'll never see that little character moment again. I wish they'd stop cutting shows differently.:rolleyes:

pjones

Grip
Real Name
Peter
Robert Harris said:
As this is something very obvious, I'm led to believe (and I don't understand the technical anomalies behind it) that some hardware/software that may attempt to convert the 1080i format to 1080p, is somehow masking the problem, which is not a huge problem on season one, but is abhorrent on season 2.
And this if fine, for those in that situation.
My guess is that some sophisticated deinterlacers can detect the alleged 2:2:2:2:4 cadence in the 60i stream, at which point they can invert it to reconstruct the 25fps sequence internally (just like they can reconstruct a 24fps sequence from a 2:3 cadence), and then they output it in 60p with the better (for 25Hz->60Hz) 2:2:3:2:3 cadence.
-- Peter

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Since you brought up the subject of cadence, that is the first thing I noticed when I bought my first Blu-ray player. The feature material was always perfect, but supplemental material such as documentaries which contained a mix of video-based and film-based elements would have cadence problems. For instance the video clips would be smooth and the film clips jerky, or sometimes just the opposite. I finally figured out that the player was choosing one cadence and didn't have the ability to flip back and forth on the fly. Strange thing is, DVDs have no problem whatsoever, it is only Blu-rays that are affected.
pjones said:
My guess is that some sophisticated deinterlacers can detect the alleged 2:2:2:2:4 cadence in the 60i stream, at which point they can invert it to reconstruct the 25fps sequence internally (just like they can reconstruct a 24fps sequence from a 2:3 cadence), and then they output it in 60p with the better (for 25Hz->60Hz) 2:2:3:2:3 cadence.
-- Peter

I just received "Downton Abbey" Season 1 from Amazon in the U.S. and immediately saw motion blur on my newer Blu-ray player and 1080p24 Sony TV.
The discs played back without issue, however, on my older Blu-ray player and 1080i Sony TV.
I changed the video output setting on my Pioneer receiver from Auto to 1080i video and the discs played fine on the 1080p24 Sony.
It appears motion blur is introduced in the upconversion from 1080i to 1080p24.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks