What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ All is True - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Kenneth Branagh's All is True (not to be confused with Welles' It's All True) concerns the post-retirement years of one William Shakespeare, an English poet and playwright.

It's one of those wonderful British productions from which wafts the scents of bespoke goods - Wilton carpets, Connolly hides, and the distinct aura of quality parchment and special inks.

Gorgeously photographed by Zac Nicholson, and in some ways making almost unique use of extreme long shots for dialogue passages.

Put Mr. Branagh, Judi Dench and Ian McKellen in a film together, and you'll end up with a tiny bit of ham, and a great deal of magnificently spoken dialogue.

Best not to go deeper, except to suggest that it's a winner, and a pleasure to view.

Think a bit of the best of Bergman, say Wild Strawberries, along with a portion of Mr. Bolt's A Man for All Seasons.

Treat yourselves, and get a copy.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I saw All Is True at a November 2018 screening and was very impressed with it. The film then played for a week in Santa Monica in December in order qualify for 2018 Oscar nominations (it didn't get any) and then disappeared. Pity as it's the kind of movie I would think the Academy would lap up. Hopefully now that it is available on blu ray, it will get a second chance.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I saw All Is True at a November 2018 screening and was very impressed with it. The film then played for a week in Santa Monica in December in order qualify for 2018 Oscar nominations (it didn't get any) and then disappeared. Pity as it's the kind of movie I would think the Academy would lap up. Hopefully now that it is available on blu ray, it will get a second chance.

Agreed - X 10!!! Fantastic dialogue-driven/character-driven dramedy with a charm, wit and sophistication, and a pictorial quality unseen since the old Merchant/Ivory days. Sincerely, miss those! Loved this. Can't wait for my Blu to arrive!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks