What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Once Upon a Time in the West -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Grubert

Grip
Real Name
von
Unfortunately Paramount released on Blu ray still the same slightly faulty version used for DVD, this very version which has displaced since the beginning of the digitalization of movies, with the arrive of the Laser disc in the 90s, the original theatrical cut worldwide (except for Italy thanks to the splitting of the rights between Italy and the rest of the world).

What's wrong?
1. There are 70 sec of additional shots missing in the opening scene.
2. It shouldn't contain the so called "Harmonica Rising" scene, which destroys some of the narrative brilliance of the big opening in which the characters are introduced, and which lasts for about 40 min.
3. The closing music is wrong, as originally the music track called Finale is played in its entirety until the film ends, but is here abridged and then replaced by the Cheyenne theme, which doesn't make much sense.

The Blu does now contains also the Scorsese restoration. This version was aimed to restore the European theatrical version, but strangely it doesn't. And is for taht a disappointment. just another spoiled chance.
1. There are now 18 sec restored to the opening scene, but why not the whole 70 sec?
2. The superfluous "Harmonica Rising" scene is now even longer, the extra seconds taken from a longer Italian version (which is not the theatrical version, but uhh, some kind of private print of Leone, which was restored in the 90s)
3. The score still contains the Cheyene theme at the end

But I have to admit that C'era una volta il west is also in this not that perfect Paramount version one of the great masterpieces of cinema.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Grubert, has a correct transfer been released, in your view? Perhaps a European blu-ray? If so, which one?

OnceUponATime-1969-Paramount-six_zpsd87c5038.jpg

Grubert

Grip
Real Name
von
Unfortunately not. In Italy the theatrical version was replaced by the longer 178 min version (which is interesting to watch, but I prefer the 165 min version). It seems that shorter verisions released there on DVD do not contain the theatrical cut.

If the film runs here in Germany in a theatre it is still the 35 mm theatrical cut, but on TV or on DVD/Blu all we get is either the Paramount version or this longer cut, which was prepared in the late 90s (using the theatrical dub) for TV, and is shown there every now and then.

At the moment it is to be feared that the theatrical cut will disappear.

I have never read anything by Leone compalining about that version. And there is an interview where he mentions a longer version in his private archives, but doesn't say anything about this being his favoured version, a superior version, or some kind of DC. The labelling of the 178 min version as a DC is a doubtful one. Many refer to it as some kind of rough cut, maybe the last step before the definitive fine cutting was prepared.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Thanks for your helpful reply.

I don't know what's being screened in repertory theaters anymore, but I also prefer the 165 minute theatrical version of ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (1968) as well as the 161 minute theatrical version of THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY (1966). They are tighter stories and better timed and paced. Too many inconsistencies arise in the longer "restorations." It is unreasonable of Paramount and Warner Brothers, respectively, to withhold the original versions from blu-ray. If they were to make both versions of each film available it would be reason enough for many consumers to buy them again.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Richard--W said:
Thanks for your helpful reply.

I don't know what's being screened in repertory theaters anymore, but I also prefer the 165 minute theatrical version of ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (1968) as well as the 161 minute theatrical version of THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY (1966). They are tighter stories and better timed and paced. Too many inconsistencies arise in the longer "restorations." It is unreasonable of Paramount and Warner Brothers, respectively, to withhold the original versions from blu-ray. If they were to make both versions of each film available it would be reason enough for many consumers to buy them again.
Warner wasn't involved in either of those two releases. Going forward, due to their recent distribution deal with Paramount, they might be involve with Once Upon a Time in the West, if and when it comes out again.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
There's a point where everybody has their own opinions of what belongs in a film or not because said film seems to have been edited slightly (or severely as it was in the first US release when Paramount cut out the entire tavern and cliff ruins scenes) differently in ever region it played in. Call it memory cheats or favoritism.

As it stands I prefer the 165 minute cut with all the alleged "changes" (some of which were in the film they released in 1969 to begin with) this guy takes umbrage over. Its the one I saw in a theater (ON ACTUAL 35MM SO THIS ISN'T SOME DVD ONLY BULL) and the fact that they had to shorten the finale with Farewell to Cheyenne (which actually WORKS btw) because exit music just wasn't done anymore is barely worth complaining over.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Man I agree! With my GB&U bluray I'm forced to watch a longer version I do not prefer. :( Much MUCH prefer the shorter version. It's just a better film that way. And the change in voice work takes me out of the film at moments. I do like the scenes, like the extended stuff in the desert (or is that dessert? lol)

I haven't yet watched the blu ray of OUaTitW... I have the DVD and was pretty happy with it. I also had the 2-tape VHS and was happy with it.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
There's a point where everybody has their own opinions of what belongs in a film
Actually youtube had the german theatrical (same as french theatrical) posted this was the definitive Leone sanctioned cut, but Paramount blocked it thought it might still be available in some countries to watch.

I grew up with that cut and it is the superior cut. Other cuts just don't make sense and are variations. This is the version that became a hit in the countries it was released in, and that Leone wanted. No Harmonica rising, which only make sense in the US cut (which is not even the cut on the Blu-ray).

A good Blu-ray would have been the original US cut + the original german / french (ie european) cut.

The current Blu-ray, sorry to say, it just a piece of crap revisionism. I get heated on that one cause I love this movie. I don't want the Lucas SE versions, I want the theatrical, be them US or Europe.

Grubert

Grip
Real Name
von
Actually according to that article in VideoWatchdog the original US version was the same 165 min version as released in Europe. The author said he saw it 4 or 5 times before suddenly a few weeks after the release a heavily cut version was screened, which at that point did noch include the Rising scene.
In the UK the 165 min version was rated by the BFI with a 167 min runtime (obviously including the exit music), but the released version was then a 145 min version. Slightly longer then the 144 min US version. The cuts were mostly the same, except for 1 scene in each,, which then makes the time difference.

When Paramount tried to restore the uncut version in the early 80s they made the 3 mistakes mentioned above. And they never bothered to change that. I hope they one day do, if only for the reason to sell another Special Edition to those who already own 10 editions of the film.

Grubert

Grip
Real Name
von
Lord Dalek said:
There's a point where everybody has their own opinions of what belongs in a film or not because said film seems to have been edited slightly (or severely as it was in the first US release when Paramount cut out the entire tavern and cliff ruins scenes) differently in ever region it played in. Call it memory cheats or favoritism.

As it stands I prefer the 165 minute cut with all the alleged "changes" (some of which were in the film they released in 1969 to begin with) this guy takes umbrage over. Its the one I saw in a theater (ON ACTUAL 35MM SO THIS ISN'T SOME DVD ONLY BULL) and the fact that they had to shorten the finale with Farewell to Cheyenne (which actually WORKS btw) because exit music just wasn't done anymore is barely worth complaining over.
The final music is not a big deal for me, but I know of others for whom it is. At least Morricone composed a piece which is called Finale, which, as a variation of the Jill/America theme, only appears in that form at the end of the movie. It is quite stupid to cut that off. And the reprise of the Cheyenne theme doesn't make any sense.
The missing 70 sec of the first scene are also not that problematic. But they make the film a bit better, but I'm sure most won't notice their inclusion.

What really bugs me is the Rising scene.That is just like having between the famous bone/spaceship match cut in 2001 now suddenly a new scene. 2001 would still be a masterpieces for those who love 2001, but it would destroy a brilliant idea.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Amazon UK has the 50th anniversary Blu-Ray for release on September 2nd. Does anybody have more info on this new release? It does have the same extras as the 2011 edition.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s a Paramount title which leads me to guess that it’s a repackage of the existing disc. They tend to do that.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I am reviewing my blu ray collection and watched this for the first time since it came out (obviously not a favourite!). It wasn't as good as i remembered and felt it dragged too much. The big reveal (superb) should have been the ending and the last 10 minutes could easily have been cut. I think a 2 hour edit would have sufficed. Blu ray image on a 65 " panel , poor. On reflection i don't really like Italian Westerns and am giving it away.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's funny how Josh liked your post because he doesn't like Italian Westerns either.:laugh: For the most part, I'm not a fan either of those films except I do like this film. I enjoyed seeing Fonda playing a baddie with Bronson as the anti-hero.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It's funny how Josh liked your post because he doesn't like Italian Westerns either.:laugh: For the most part, I'm not a fan either of those films except I do like this film. I enjoyed seeing Fonda playing a baddie with Bronson as the anti-hero.
I'm not a fan of Italian Westerns but I am a fan of Claudia Cardinale. She's the reason I saw this film when it first came and she's the reason I bought the DVD. I haven't upgraded because I don't think the film's much good.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
ooo yeah! wonderful closeups of that lovely lady.

I tried to watch Comin at Ya in 3D but my samsung tv did a poor job. I was loving the credits and fantastic spaghetti western music. it'll be fun when I get a better system.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I really wanted to like this movie and was disappointed to have had such a negative response to it. Oh well, that’s how it goes sometimes. I recognize that it’s very well done for what it is, just not for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks