What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Carrie -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Since I've come to view Blu-ray not as the "enemy of DVD", but rather "just the next technological improvement to DVD", there really is no further need for SD at all, IMO. The studios should start pushing BD and lowering the prices, maybe even only keeping bonus features on BD... make SD the less attractive choice. Perhaps even stop releasing key new titles (like THE DARK KNIGHT) on SD at all. Once the consumers understand that that they can still enjoy their present SD collections on a new BD player that's affordable (yes, they need to come down in price too), then we'll get somewhere. It just seems silly to me to continue to use the horse and carriage while BD is like the automobile.

Of course, the avergae J6P's will not like being "forced" into buying a BD player, but it's happening with TV going all-digital next year, and it happened when vinyl records were changed over to CDs rather quickly...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
There's no way that what you propose will happen now. It makes no sense from a business standpoint. Why would any studio forgo the revenues from the still MUCH larger DVD market in order to force much smaller BR sales? Lowering software and hardware prices to grow the market makes sense. Abandoning a still huge DVD market at this point doesn't.

Real Name
John

Currently, 50AUD=35USD sounds about accurate (Since about late August, the Australian dollar has gone right down in value against the USD for some reason (ditto, GBP vs USD))

Earlier in the year, the conversion was something like 1AUD = 0.93USD

One weird little detail I've noticed, is the relative lack of consistancy between countries. I've seen some Fox titles right down close to $30AU, while I've seen movies like The Fifth Element and Bram Stoker's Dracula (routinely selling on Amazon for $15US) selling here for $43AU.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert

Not to drift too far off topic but I should point out that 'Rocky Horror' has never been presented panned and scanned. Like a huge percentage of 'flat' titles it was shot open-matte and the top and bottom of the frame were matted off in projection to get the intended 1:85 ratio on screen.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I have been quite pleased by the recent drop in Fox BD prices in Canada. I picked up a few old Fox catalog titles today for $13.50, about US$11. More recent "big" titles are $20 (US$16). I have no complaints about that. I was at 2 video-selling stores (BB and WM) earlier tonight and there were far more people looking at BD racks than DVD racks while I was there. Also many new title BDs were sold out. That's here, I guess not the same everywhere, but an encouraging sign.

[Our $ has also fallen wrt the US$, but I expect that is temporary while the "free tax money" is being doled out. Until things get back to normal, or less abnormal at least.]

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
pure highest end audio and video and forget the extras, that is simply my view
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

there is plenty room on a BD50 for all this stuff, and that is fine, but if it means higher prices for more special features then I don't want it, in fact I would love to see studios offer slightly cheaper film only and then special ed versions for those that want them

just my take ;)

-Gary

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor

Scary Movie is the greatest abomination on a BD disc IMHO, DNR'd to hell, then slapped hard with EE, it looks like a really bad upconvert, in fact worse than the SD DVD upconverted via a scaler and a SDI DVD player

your point is dead on correct

-Gary

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Deep Discount DVD's 25% off sale finally allowed me to get Carrie at a price I was willing to pay. I was impressed by the PQ. I started out using the mono audio. It really seemed flat and lifeless. I switched to the DTS audio and it seemed better.

If the BD had extras, I likely would not have seen them yet. I really get a kick out of the film but I'm afraid my intrest wanes when the credits are done rolling. I really don't want to know what was in the bloody kettle or much of anything else about the production.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Carrie can be had for $10 right now on Amazon's buy more and save sale if you are willing to buy nine other movies with it. I still didn't get it because I figure I'd watch it maybe once before a new edition with extras (and a more sensible codec) is out.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Originally Posted by Felix Martinez

Just saw Carrie and was really impressed. I've seen this on every other home video format - broadcast, VHS, Criterion laserdisc, DVD. Unfortunately, I never saw the film in theaters.

What I saw on Blu-ray was glorious. Finally, finally, I can see the detail through the fog filters and split diopter photography. I was so pleased to see the grain intact.

Correct me if I'm wrong, or if this was mentioned by RAH or earlier in this thread, but I don't believe the opening credits were window-boxed as has been before on home video.

Once again, looked *wonderful* on my 92 inch screen.

Alas, this title is simply not priced to own for me at this time, especially with the MIA exras. However, if this shows up on a 2-for-1 or some other sale, I'm in, because A/V-wise, this is a winner.
A year after my post and this title is now under $10 at Amazon and Best Buy. Time to pick it up so that it has a life next to the SE DVD in my library. Better than spending $20-30 if and when an SE Blu-ray comes around...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks