What's new

A Completely New Build (1 Viewer)

hyldnir

Auditioning
Real Name
Jarrad
Hi Forum,

I am in the early stages of building my new home with my wife and she has allowed me to have a home cinema (WINNING).

I am completely new to the whole home theater scene but have been doing a tonne of research and found this forum and was hoping that some of the experts could point me in the right way.

Here is the general jist of what im looking to do:

My home theater room is going to be 3.73m x 5.03m with a 2.71m ceiling.

The room will mainly be used for the wife and I to watch movies and TV shows through various streaming platforms. I will (when I get my time alone) also be watching sport through a streaming service called Kayo.

I am looking to do the following:

• Projector mounted to the roof with fixed screen
  • 5.1.2 Surround Sound System - because this is being built specifically for this purpose im happy to put in ceiling or in wall speakers
    AV Receiver
  • Nvidia Shield
  • Sound proofing - the wife although approving the room doesn't want the noise to be super easy to hear throughout the place. Its all the part im most lost on - so if someone can lead me in the right direction.

Currently I do not have a spot for a cabinet but if I need one I'm going to plan for it real soon as the final house plans are starting to happen.

My budget for all the hardware is AU$4000 - AU$5000. Sound is more important to me than visual so I'd prefer to spend a little more on the sound system than the projector.

If you guys could point me in the right direction for good hardware and any advice itd be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jarrad

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would discourage in-wall speakers as opposed to other options, like regular speakers on shelves. In-ceiling is great for Atmos only, but nothing else.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
I agree with John. Ill add that in your speaker research you might want to include speakers that do well near wall placement since youll be shelf mounting and room width is tight, most speakers dont do well with their back against a wall but some do better than others. 3.73 meters isnt very wide, I recommend you include acoustic panels for your first reflection points at least for your front left and right. gik acoustics is a good place to start, good prices and a good learning library.

Lots of info on soundproofing, just google it and take your time to learn the proper way, just like the rest of the aspectsof your build.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ty is correct. Not all speakers are suitable for placement close to a wall. Actually, no speaker will sound its best next to a wall and even less in a wall, but you want a speaker with a sealed cabinet or front facing ports.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Hi Forum,

I am in the early stages of building my new home with my wife and she has allowed me to have a home cinema (WINNING).

I am completely new to the whole home theater scene but have been doing a tonne of research and found this forum and was hoping that some of the experts could point me in the right way.

Here is the general jist of what im looking to do:

My home theater room is going to be 3.73m x 5.03m with a 2.71m ceiling.

The room will mainly be used for the wife and I to watch movies and TV shows through various streaming platforms. I will (when I get my time alone) also be watching sport through a streaming service called Kayo.

I am looking to do the following:

• Projector mounted to the roof with fixed screen
  • 5.1.2 Surround Sound System - because this is being built specifically for this purpose im happy to put in ceiling or in wall speakers
    AV Receiver
  • Nvidia Shield
  • Sound proofing - the wife although approving the room doesn't want the noise to be super easy to hear throughout the place. Its all the part im most lost on - so if someone can lead me in the right direction.

Currently I do not have a spot for a cabinet but if I need one I'm going to plan for it real soon as the final house plans are starting to happen.

My budget for all the hardware is AU$4000 - AU$5000. Sound is more important to me than visual so I'd prefer to spend a little more on the sound system than the projector.

If you guys could point me in the right direction for good hardware and any advice itd be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jarrad

Since this is your first rodeo with home theater, I would HIGHLY recommend that you get a receiver that can process at least 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos/DTS: X and better yet 7.1.4 if your space can accommodate rear surround speakers. Another good-to-have feature is pre-amp outputs for all channel outputs. That way you can add outboard power amps down the road for superior performance.

Four or more overhead speakers are a necessity for better sound placement and object movement in the theater space. Two overhead speakers tend to concentrate the sound above you too much.

I don't recommend in-wall speakers unless you have a larger budget to play with. In-room speakers are bang for buck superior. Again, in-ceiling speakers are fine for the immersive overheads. A wide dispersion pattern is recommended here, such as coaxial type speakers like those from KEF.

Your speakers should ideally be timbre matched. The subwoofer does not have to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks