What's new

A Blu-ray player [Sony BDP-S550] that will do EVERYTHING! (Verified) (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Getting back to the subject of Blu Ray playback, it seems that Sony isn't promising the ability to play DTS-MA at ALL on this player anymore, firmware upgrade or no. I really think the thread title needs to be changed.

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
SACD, DVD-A and HD-DVD? All irrelevant formats for a good percentage of us AV geeks, and the entire general public.

What about a feature that most of us would ACTUALLY use...

Does this player "that will do EVERYTHING!" play DivX?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Are you referring to SonyStyle, Robert, or some other site that used to refer to DTS-HD MA for the 550 but that now doesn't?

As of this typing, SonyStyle says:

So they changed the generic reference to "DTS-HD" to include the parenthetical references to MA and HR, but they removed the reference to a firmware upgrade.

But the introductory paragraph on the Features tab still refers to "DTS-HD." And, more sauce for the goose, Audio Features under the Specifications tab bullet points:

Dolby® Digital plus Decoding : Yes
Dolby® TrueHD Decoding : Yes
dts® Decoding : Yes
dts® Output : Yes

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Now it's no more "Dolby® TrueHD/DTS-HD decoder built-in", it's only "Dolby® TrueHD internal decoding". It's NOT verified that the player does everything.

Unless I get rock solid independent confirmation that it does decode DTS-MA, I've lost all interest in this player.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
It's best not to take these descriptions verbatim because they constantly get updated and tend to be inaccurate.

The current paragraph doesn't even read properly. Here is the quote from the website again:This is true. The 500 specifically states: Dolby® TrueHD Decoding : Yes (HDMI™ bitstream out)

No where on either the 350 or 550 specs is there a bullet for "Dolby® TrueHD Decoding"

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

To me this says that the 550 will decode Dolby True HD and will bitstream both Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA. It looks to me that the 550 will not decode DTS-HD MA. So for me as long as it bitstreams that leaves it in the running. But I am not sure it is going to be comperable to the Denon or Pioneer Blu-ray player. And the only other thing I need to make sure of is that the player is profile 1.1. I honestly have no need for a profile 2.0 player and it would not make or break the deal. If I ended up with a profile 2.0 machine that is great but if not, no big deal IMHO. I am not looking to access extras via the internet so 2.0 is a waist as far as me personally.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I'm still interested in why Sony allegedly has such crappy video processing in their Blu-ray players other than the PS3.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Sure does look that way.

Sony just made up my mind; I'll be getting the Panasonic BD-55, which really does do everything. So I give up a USB port; I gain lossless decoding and likely a better audio section.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Try looking at the new Pioneer BDP-51FD and Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD Bluray with Wolfson Audio DAC's. The BDP-51FD MSRP's for about $599 and the 05FD Elite MSRP's for about $799.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Do they have 7.1 analog outputs?

My old budget Pioneer receiver probably isn't worthy of the Wolfson. The Panny's audio section is supposed to be pretty good. It's available for pre-order at $400 at Amazon right now (though not easily advertised; shows another vendor first -- have to go to other vendors to get Amazon as the seller for $100 less. Weird).

I do like Pioneer, but I know you usually pay a bit of a premium for them. Don't really want to do that for my bedroom setup.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Grant,

Can you be more specific please. i.e. What vendor?

Everytime I search for the Panasonic DMP-BD55 on Amazon it only brings up the Panasonic DMP-BD50K and Panasonic DMP-BD30K.:confused:

Thanks for your help.

Paul

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The reason the $399 isn't advertised on the main page is because it's out of stock from Amazon and the $499 vendor has it in stock, so they get the mention.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
For those interested this link shows the back panel of the DMPBD55K. I couldn't get the info from the panny site since the 55 doesn't show up in any seaches there.
Panasonic DMP-BD55 (DMPBD55K) Blu-ray Player On Sale for $399 (Pre-Order): BigPictureBigSound

The article on that link indicates the 55 does 5.1 audio, which is good since that''s all I'll have for the near future.

How is the connection to the internet made. Is it just a plain old ethernet port to which I'll have to attach an adapter of some sort so it can get on my wireless network or does it come with built-in wifi?

BTW, I used the "used and new" link to buy it from Amazon.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Funny how that updated info at Sony Style turned this into a Panny thread hijack!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
That's what showing yourself to be inferior to the competition will do to you.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Just to be clear, the Big Picture Big Sound bit (thankfully) says the 55 "features 5.1 or 7.1 channel analog audio outputs" (bold mine).

I doubt the player features wifi, otherwise Pan would be promoting/bullet pointing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks