What's new

A Blu-ray player [Sony BDP-S550] that will do EVERYTHING! (Verified) (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I did some touching up of calibration etc. the other day and was surprised to find out this player apparently does not pass blacker-than-black; the BTB bars in the pluge pattern are completely invisible. That seems weird, for a midrange BD player to be unable to do this rather basic function. I've owned over a dozen DVD players and this is the first player I've run across that couldn't do it. What's up? Is there a setting I'm missing?

cleverland

Agent
Real Name
Richard
I have also had this problem on Transformers and at least one other disc. It has happened about 5 times in the last two weeks. Funny how we have been trained with Bluray that when we run into something like this we pause and tell ourselves "Oh well I hope they get a new firmware version out soon to improve the stability of these newer movies". I don't even bother to try to find the problem anymore as its almost always a firmware issue which can only be fixed with a new version release.

cleverland

Agent
Real Name
Richard
Whoops my last note was regarding the movies blanking out somewhere in the middle and restarting. Sorry!

Loffen

Auditioning
Real Name
Espen
Hei

I am working with HDMI related items (like switches ) and lately there has been some problems with the new Sony BD models and I just want to know if it is the stuff I am working with or if this is a common issue.

So have any of you guys experienced any picture problems when you send the HDMI signal through a HDMI switch ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks