What's new

A Blu-ray player [Sony BDP-S550] that will do EVERYTHING! (Verified) (1 Viewer)

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I now very much doubt that the Sony 550 will be 'MSRPed' at $499.

With the Paansonic 50 at $699 and the Pioneers at $600 & $800 and the Sony decoding AND streaming all lossless tracks AND having 7.1 analog outs....

I just don't believe they will have it at that low price. I also don't believe the Sony 350 will go at $399 either.

Feature-wise the 350 is eqivilant to the Panny & Pioneers and will be $200-$300 less?

I just doubt Sony will be that generous, BUT I'll buy their product IF they are.

wolupu

Auditioning
Real Name
tom
Hello,

I'm new to Blu-Ray, and was doing some web research, and stumbled onto this site. Please forgive me if my questions should be posted in another thread.

I'm a little confused by the new audio stuff that has come out since I got my old gas-powered Toshiba
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

1. Just to verify...if this Sony unit internally decodes True-HD and DTS-HD, will I be able to use the analog outputs to go into my older non-hdmi receiver and still get all of the upgraded audio information?
2. If yes, my receiver only has discrete inputs for 5.1. Will the Sony have the capability to mix down 7.1 to 5.1?...not sure how that works.
3. If I choose to play audio cds through the analog 2-channel outputs (or even the coax or optical digital out), will I have to change the output settings every time I switch between CDs and DVDs?

Thanks so much for your help....you guys all sound way above my level of expertise, I hope I'm not wasting your time.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Does anyone here own a Sony BDP-S550? And how well does it bitstream Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA.

Currently I am saving up for a new receiver and my next purchase will be a new HDMI 1.3 player that can bitstream. That will mean my current Sony BDP-S300 will get boxed and kept as a back up incase I have problem with the new one. I am sure my roommate will love it when he finds out I am boxing the 300 and tell him he can not use it. :laugh:

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Dave, i think we have another month or so before the 550 comes out. The 350 just came out about 2 weeks ago. Its pretty sweet, but i am unable at this time to use any of the new audio options, as i am running the fiber optic from player to a 2 year old Pioneer receiver.
I was holding out for the 550 too, but my 300 has been acting a bit strange of late, freezing up on regular DVDs. It never did that until about 3 weeks ago.
Might still get a 550 at tax time next year...if i can hold out.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I guess the BDP-S350 does bitstream of Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA. I am not to sure about Dolby Digital Plus, but then again I do not think any Blu-ray titles use DD+. I personally I would rather that they do not use DD+ anyway as that would keep Dolby True HD from being used most likely. I have a number of DD+ HD-DVD's and am not sold on DD+, not that I was ever a big fan of DD anyway, ROFL.

I have some time before I replace my BDP-300, hell my 300 just locked up today playing I Robot.

Anyway one of the receivers I am looking at is a Denon AVR-3808ci and I am toying with the idea of matching it to a Denon DVD-2500. I am sure that a Panasonic BD30 or Sony BDP-550 would also do a good job as well. Time to concentrate on the receiver first and see what I do about the Blu-ray player later.

One thing I do know is there is no way in hell a Sony ES receiver is going to see my A/V rack. ;) :laugh:

New Sony Blu-ray: very possible
New Sony 1080p HDTV: very possible
New Sony ES Receiver: NO WAY !!!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Hello, I know I haven't posted in a few years, but I've been reading these HD forums and am in need of a few clarifications...

My current receiver (SONY STR-DG810) will internally decode a multitude of audio formats with the exception of the new True-HD and DTS-MA. I was considering getting the BDP-S350 because I assumed that these 2 new audio formats were just not possible for me...until I read this thread. After doing some research, I think I might need to wait for the 550 to come out, but need some help with my interpretations.

Here are 3 things that I need clarification on.

Clarification #1: Since the BDP-550 player will decode every audio format internally, my receiver (having HDMI inputs) will be able to play any of these audio formats over HDMI, correct?

Clarification #2: My receiver is only HDMI v1.2a which concerns me because it seems that you need v1.3 to play True-HD and DTS-ME, but from what I've read, it appears that my receiver doesn't need v1.3 because that is only needed when the receiver does the True-HD and DTS-MA decoding internally. In other words, if the player does not decode these formats internally, it will send them over HDMI via bitstream and the receiver (equipped with HDMI 1.3, as well as the proper decoders) will do the decoding. So basically I shouldn't need to worry about my receiver not being v1.3?

Clarification #3: If both of the above are true and I buy the BDP-550 (or any player that internally decodes the two high end audio formats) it should decode the True-HD or DTS-MA then send the signal over the HDMI cable to my receiver where the receiver will play it 'as-is' without any other conversion/down sampling/down conversion?

Am I correct in these assumptions or will I not be able to hear True-HD or DTS-MA no matter what player I purchase?

Thanks

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

With your HDMI 1.2 connection you should be able to enjoy up to 7.1 channels of lossless audio. Again as long as the player does the decoding. If you want the receiver to handle it then you will need HDMI 1.3 to bitstream the lossless audio to be decoded at the receiver. You could also decode it in the player and send it to the receiver through your analog inputs on the receiver as well. If you are happy with your receiver and are not looking at a new model for the newer features. Then just get a player with the internal decoding for both Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio, your receiver will do just fine.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
^^ Thanks, those were the answers I was hoping for. I was afraid that I shot myself in the foot by not purchasing a receiver that did high end audio decoding.

I guess I'll skip the 350 for now and focus on a player that does all of the decoding. Hopefully this 550 will be retailing for the $499 that most of the sites are saying it will.Before anyone else mentions this, I do realize that there will be some sort of conversion going on being that my receiver is 6.1, but I can live with that.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Even though it is going to be only $100 more than the BDP-350. I think I would rather have the 350. And since the receiver will have the processing I see no reason to have it in the player. For me it will mean lower data rates over the HDMI connection and the receiver will unpack and decode the information and apply any THX processing right there. IMHO less chance to error and what kind of processing would we get for $100?

Not saying that the 550 will not be a good deal for $499. But speaking for myself, I can ether take the low road with the Sony BDP-350 or take a higher road with the Denon DVD-2500.

I admit the PS3 is a attractive way to go, but I am not going to buy games for it. And I do not like the way discs load into the PS3, just like a car stereo. Other than that it does everything it is supposed to do, it decodes all the lossless audio, plays 1080p Blu-ray and you can play video games. :D

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Wouldn't the "bitstream" have a higher data rate which would be why HDMI 1.3 is required?

I would also want to ask about the "less chance to error" theory.
From what I understand, and I could be wrong, is that the quality of the chip in the player compared to the one in the processor currently would be exactly the same and the distance for the information to travel for decode would be considerably shorter to almost non existent in the player.

Hopefully someone who knows (an insider?) could chime in here.

Another problem for the receiver would be that it would not be compatible for advanced-audio-mode-features when the discs are authored for BD Java capability.

Paul

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would be interested in hearing from an insider as well. I feel more comfterable with a receiver doing this task. Instead of decoding it at the player and sending it out as a pcm stream. Doesn't a PCM stream take up more bandwidth than a zipped compressed Dolby True HD track or DTS-HD MA track?

I realize that this could cause problems with BD Java encoded discs but isn't that something that is used for extras? I personally do not care about the java based extras or the use of profile 2.0. So I would imagine that would not effect sending bitstreamed surround data to the receiver. This is the way I see it, if you decode in the player and you mix in anything aditional. It then gets sent via HDMI to a receiver or pre/pro where it may or may not apply other audio corrections to it. Why not have it done in one place instead of splitting the dueties between two peices of equipment? And for me since I have decided to buy a newer receiver that decodes. Why should I let the player decode it and not take advantage of the feature in the receiver. I just am not sold on the player decoding and that is not to say that the player is not capible of doing a good job at decoding. I think it could be a matter of implementation more than just the fact that the player is doing the decoding.

This is just the way I want my HT configuration but I still would love to hear from an insider on this subject.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I debated that for many days and I really don't think I want one. With the chance of loud fan noise, a possibility of failing to read discs, and the additional purchasing of adding an IR thingy (for my Harmony 880), it just seemed like a no go. The stand alone player seems like the more 'solid' approach.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I wonder what the deal is on the S550....I would have thought there'd be some more detailed specs, or listings, or something by now. I wonder if Sony's having more trouble with this than they expected.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Why do you think there should be any more or less information about this player than what was available on, say, the Panasonic BD50 before it came out?. I checked Blu-Ray.com and the amount of specs they list for each player isn't very different.

fanscape360

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin
FINALLY. And Transformers will be out on BD on September 2nd. It is the ultimate action movie to watch in high-def. Some of the features you will be able to download with BD-Live!

For more info go to transformersmovie.com!

Thanks,

Martin with TF

Transformers Blu-ray - the ultimate High Def experience - finally available for the first time on 9/2/08!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks