What's new

50% Off Criterion Flash Sale RIGHT NOW (2 Viewers)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Scott Merryfield said:
I just saw this thread, and the sale is over. At least I know that the one title I really wanted -- Don't Look Now -- probably would have been sold out anyway. I'll just have to wait for the next sale at B&N or Amazon.
Yeah, I think it was sold out last night. I doubt that makes you feel much better though. :D

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Scott Merryfield said:
I just saw this thread, and the sale is over. At least I know that the one title I really wanted -- Don't Look Now -- probably would have been sold out anyway. I'll just have to wait for the next sale at B&N or Amazon.

Here's a Barnes & Noble code good for 20% off online, which brought the price of Don't Look Now BD down to $24 (43% off total), which is less than you'd pay for it on Criterion sale with the $6 shipping, so I pulled the trigger along with a paperback and got free shipping (over $25). I don't collect Criterion for the sake of collecting Criterion, but only movies I know I'll want to see again, and this one's a keeper (and a creeper).

CODE: X8W8L3A 20% off BN online good until 5/1

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Ejanss said:
Maybe I like Preston Sturges but don't like Wes Anderson or Ingmar Bergman?

(Although my shelf is still waiting for The Magic Flute to get an upgrade, and despair that it's probably a TV source.)

There's something like 750 releases - you couldn't find 2 things in that pile you like beyond Sturges (and in fact there are several more Sturges in the collection as well!)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Moe Dickstein said:
There's something like 750 releases - you couldn't find 2 things in that pile you like beyond Sturges (and in fact there are several more Sturges in the collection as well!)

The only Criterion BD Sturges, so far, is Palm Beach Story. Sullivan's Travels is coming, but The Lady Eve and Unfaithfully Yours are SD. Meanwhile, where are The Great McGinty, Christmas in July, The Miracle of Morgan's Creek, and Hail, The Conquering Hero on Blu? They missed the boat not releasing a BD box set. But we'll take whatever we can get of these 5-star classics.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Ok if you only want Blu Rays - but the sale is for the DVD releases too.

Looking at my wall about 55-60% of the collection is on Blu.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Moe Dickstein said:

Well, I SUPPOSE I could have gotten Topsy Turvy and The Thin Blue Line, which have been waiting on my Amazon list for the price to come down, but the truth is, I just didn't think things through.

Like the old joke about "Where do you go in Europe if you don't drink?", what do you buy on Criterion if you don't like Bergman?

Or Anderson?

Or...okay, so maybe I could have gotten The Hidden Fortress, too. Just plain forgot about that one--Have to wait another year.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Hollywoodaholic said:
Here's a Barnes & Noble code good for 20% off online, which brought the price of Don't Look Now BD down to $24 (43% off total), which is less than you'd pay for it on Criterion sale with the $6 shipping, so I pulled the trigger along with a paperback and got free shipping (over $25). I don't collect Criterion for the sake of collecting Criterion, but only movies I know I'll want to see again, and this one's a keeper (and a creeper).

CODE: X8W8L3A 20% off BN online good until 5/1

Thanks, Wayne. Unfortunately, by the time tax and shipping are added, the price comes to $29, which is the same price I can get it for at Amazon (I'm a Prime member and still do not have to pay tax there). Anything else on my wish list that I would add to get free shipping is a LOT more than I can get it for at Amazon.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Moe Dickstein said:
Ok if you only want Blu Rays - but the sale is for the DVD releases too.

Looking at my wall about 55-60% of the collection is on Blu.
Through the most recent announcements, 400 of them are on blu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks