2004 NCAA Football season

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by GlenRF, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Now this is much more interesting to discuss (the school's cheerleading squads)...

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I think they are a better team in a variety of ways, but if you want the main thing that I think would be the difference, it would be Matt Leinert at QB and Norm Chow as offensive coordinator and Pete Carroll as defensive coordinator. OK, that's three things. [​IMG]

In my mind at least, this may get settled next year. If LSU repeats as national champion, either beating USC, or with SC clearly out of it, then I'll give my props to LSU. But my money for next year is on SC.

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

5. george kaplan

6. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Hmm, I actually agree with his assessment of USC's defense in that article. Sure they give up more yards and points than LSU, but they also play in a shoot-em-up conference (witness Cal's 52 vs. VTech). 9 sacks vs. UM was most impressive given that the Wolverines had only allowed 15 all year!

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

8. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

9. Dan Mc

Dan Mc Stunt Coordinator

This from Skip Bayless of the San Jose Mercury News:

10. RonaldK

RonaldK Extra

Dan, for every article you post promoting LSU, I could post five saying that USC is the best team in the country.

USC and LSU are co-national champs in Div. 1 football. Let's be happy that we can claim to be number one instead of bashing each other.

11. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

12. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

13. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

"The BCS System is designed to select the two teams for the national championship game, and shall not be used to seed teams into the three other BCS games, or any other bowl games."

LSU and USC have one thing in common this season and that is Auburn not the national championship game. So, it's LSU by a point plus they played in the national championship game.

14. george kaplan

Well Bill, I'm sure your opinion is popular in Atlanta. Wrong, but popular. [​IMG]

15. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

George,

I don't know everybody in Atlanta so I can't substantiate that comment. I came to this opinion on my own, good or bad. It's called independent thinking, try it sometimes.

Because of the circumstances, I think USC is deserving of a share. I also think LSU is better but not by much. Both could probably beat the Falcons .....without Vick.

16. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

Where is the continued outrage over the BCS? See, this is why the "powers that be" in the BCS and college football feel no pressure to make significant changes. Football fans will grumble for a few days, then forget about it.

If the BCS really is that bad, people should voice their disapproval and outrage 365 days a year. Don't stop whining just because the season is over. Otherwise, college football will find itself in the exact same place next season. The time for change is now. Get off your butts...unless you think the BCS is not so bad after all.

17. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I think you will see some minor changes to the BCS, I think that they should put more of a priority on the human polls, like and this is only a suggestion, perhaps a rule that says if a team is ranked number 1 in either 1 of the polls at the end of the season, that they get a spot in the BCS title game. Of course, I've got to agree that Oklahoma didn't really deserve to make it having not won its conference championship. Until there is a playoff system in place there is always going to be a risk that we end up with co-national championship teams.

As to the LSU/USC question, I break it down like this.
    On a nutral field, I'd take USC, but if you were to take Oklahoma out of the Sugar bowl and put USC in, I'd have to go with LSU since it would basically have a powerful home field advantage in place. I think USC had better play from the QB's, but I really liked LSU's defense, what's his name, Marcus Spears? that guy was a stud in the sugar bowl.

18. george kaplan

Robert,

I remain outraged, but I don't see much point in posting here each day repeating

BCS sucks.

On the other hand, every time I post, I am making a comment about the impotence of the BCS in my signature. [​IMG]

19. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

20. george kaplan

Huh? I fully accept the reality that the BCS bites, and the Academy Awards are incapable of giving the Best Picture oscar to the best picture. Maybe this year they'll give it to Return of the King and shock me, but I ain't holding my breath.