What's new

2004 NCAA Football season (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
You're making my point for me.

I suppose that if they don't give it to who you think should win it, then they're just flat-out wrong? :laugh:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As to the LSU/USC question, I break it down like this.
On a nutral field, I'd take USC, but if you were to take Oklahoma out of the Sugar bowl and put USC in, I'd have to go with LSU since it would basically have a powerful home field advantage in place.
It's interesting that the co-national champs both played essentially "home" games in their respective bowls to earn their piece of the title.

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator
I personally look forward to my Kansas State Wildcats defending their Big 12 Championship. We've got a pretty good looking recruiting class, we'll see what they can do.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Hey Casey, I didn't realize you liked sports. :D

I find it insulting that ABC/NCAA/BCS figured they could give us a regular game like Boise St/TCU and figure it will bring in huge dollars just because they tell us its a huge game. The sad thing is it will probably work.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Jed, the real question is do they add another game, or use one of the already established bowl games. You're right though, it will probably work in terms of getting people to watch.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This move is just to get the smaller conferences off the BCS's backs. Will anyone really care if the Cotton Bowl now becomes a fifth BCS game (just one example)? The BCS needs to concentrate its efforts into fixing its screwed up system for determining its champion.

If they are going to really add another game, it needs to be a championship game after the bowls. They could have #1 play #4 and #2 play #3 in two of the BCS games, then have the winners play in the additional game. This would eliminate virtually all the controversy of the past few years. After all, it's not as big a deal arguing about selecting #4 vs. #5 as it is #2 vs. #3.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Scott hit the nail on the head. Yes, we needed another game last year, one in which USC would have beaten LSU, not one in which TCU and Boise State play for a fifth place finish neither deserves. :frowning:

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
If they are going to really add another game, it needs to be a championship game after the bowls. They could have #1 play #4 and #2 play #3 in two of the BCS games, then have the winners play in the additional game. This would eliminate virtually all the controversy of the past few years. After all, it's not as big a deal arguing about selecting #4 vs. #5 as it is #2 vs. #3.
Scott, there is one major flaw with your solution as far as the NCAA is concerned; It makes perfect sense.

I think to further complicate things we should go to a scoring system like in Ice Skating. So even if a team wins the game on the field, they could still lose if the judges award the extra points to the loser. Oh wait, that already happened with USC this year. Its like College Football is being run by the owners of MLB.:rolleyes

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Scott, there is one major flaw with your solution as far as the NCAA is concerned; It makes perfect sense.
Yeah, I agree with Jed, this makes far too much sense for the NCAA to consider it. I agree though, that that's where the fifth bowl needs to go.

I think a bigger joke is that the Big East is still going to get an at large bid, even though their best football schools are switching the the ACC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks