What's new

2 bookshelfs for Centre Channel ? (1 Viewer)

Bob Sheen

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone,
I have Sound Dynamics ( http://www.sound-dynamics.com ) speakers all around for my HT system. Sound Dynamics are apparently the same people that make Energy speakers.
My current configuration:
RTSC1 for front centre
RTS9 for front mains
RTS5 for rear surrounds
Pradigm Sub (10 inches)
I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V2200 receiver. I also wanted to upgrade my front centre channel speaker (currently an RTSC1) to the larger Sound Dynamics RTSC2.
I went to my dealer yesterday and found out that the Sound Dynamics line has been discoutinued. Now, it is practically impossible to find an RTSC2. I searched all over the net today and couldn't find any.
I do have a couple of options though and this is where i need advice. My dealer has a set of Sound Dynamics RTS3. Which is basically the same speaker as the RTS9 nine but in a bookshelf configuration.
It only has one 6.5" woofer and 1 tweeter versus two 6.5" woofers and 1 tweeter on the RTS 9 and would be a perfect timbre match.
I was considering running the 2 bookshelfs in parallel as the front centre speaker configuration. I could lay them butt end to butt end on top of my TV.
Here's my questions:
Was is the impact of doing that ? and what happens to the power supply going to the speakers. Does it reduce the output ?
And can i damage my new receiver by basically running the 2 speakers off of the one set of binding posts ?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Bob

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
You can overload your reciever by running two speakers off one amp. Your best bet is to buy the set of RTS3's and use one as the front center and the other as the rear center. You'd have perfect timber matching all the way around. Also, don't be discouraged by using 1 bookshelf as a center, many swear by it(just looks a little odd). Good luck!

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
I second Jason's excellent suggestion. Besides burdoning your receiver's center channel amp with a low impedance load, that arraingement invites problems with dispersion and creation of modes. Many experts think that the wide short MTM center that is so popular is a bad configuration, and that a 2 way bookshelf monitor is theoritically superior either on its side or upright.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks