Speaker Help

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by galkno3, Apr 20, 2012.

1. galkno3

galkno3 Auditioning

Heya. Just a quick question before I head out, I'm setting up a home theatre system and currently am looking at speaker setups. I've been lookin' at the Wharfedale 10.1 diamond bookshelf speakers and would like to ask...can I use 4 of these as 2 rears and 2 fronts and then add a central channel for a 5.1 setup? These are the specs for the 10.1 diamond speaker (of which I was thinking of purchasing 4). As regards the centre speaker, I was looking at the diamond 10 CS. Specs here. Thanks!

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Sounds like a good setup. I've never owned or even heard Wharfedale speakers but the Diamond series seems to get good reviews. The English can design some good audio equipment. It would be best if you could actually hear them first yourself but since that's often not a possibility then hopefully you can buy them from a retailer/internet site with a good return policy.
    The bookshelves are a bit low on efficiency at 86 db but most bookshelves are around that. The center is 89 db. Their 6 ohm rating should work with just about any receiver. Get a good sub :) .

3. galkno3

galkno3 Auditioning

Any good article I can read on about speakers and understanding speaker specifications? (Not articles on whether to choose bookshelf or wall etc).

4. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    From Aperion Audio's "University". Check out some of their other articles as well. Good speakers too.
    http://www.aperionaudio.com/AperionU/how_speakers_work.aspx

5. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    That's a good write-up. But the best part was near the end, "Some specs also try to convey something about how they will sound. But to really determine how good a speaker sounds, you will need to put aside the specifications and just listen."