What's new

1966 Batman DVD Coming! See Post 649 (1 Viewer)

High C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andante
I wouldn't read too much into it all. We haven't seen the back of each season, or other pics inside the digipaks, or even the back of the box.
Fair enough. I hope you're right.

sandijorgens1

Auditioning
Real Name
sandi
High C said:
Or at the very least, one-on-one interviews with Burt and Julie about their memories of how they were cast, what it was like, favorite eps, etc.Honestly, I'm kind of underwhelmed by the extras so far. I hope there are some vintage photos as extras on the discs themselves. I would assume the 'deleted footage' was tossed back in 1966-68 because nobody anticipated a market for it. That's understandable. But obviously the Fox vault of promo photos exists even now. I would hope that they dip into that.
NO, it is not understandable, it is PATHETIC people were too ignorant to forward think about hoem viewing (heck eveb back then, tapes were circulated between tv stations for shows,) SO ANY exec back then who had 1 active brain cell could have surmised, heck maybe people at home 1 day may watch this, so lets keep it

sandijorgens1

Auditioning
Real Name
sandi
JohnMor said:
I wouldn't read too much into it all. We haven't seen the back of each season, or other pics inside the digipaks, or even the back of the box.
WB CLAIMED ALL would be revealed at ComicCon so either they lied to us, or they do not care what consumers really want

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
From another forum: a list of (partial?) extras (my guess is there will be some vintage extras in there)
That better be a partial list because that is the most underwhelming group of items I've ever seen in my life, especially the Bat memorabilia one. Sorry, but I could care less about obsessed fans and their hobbies, I want to see more about the *production* of the series.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
sandijorgens1 said:
WB CLAIMED ALL would be revealed at ComicCon so either they lied to us, or they do not care what consumers really want
After this weekend, it looks like people will be cancling their orders left and right. WB would be wise to go into hiding after this weekend as well.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Jack P said:
That better be a partial list because that is the most underwhelming group of items I've ever seen in my life, especially the Bat memorabilia one. Sorry, but I could care less about obsessed fans and their hobbies, I want to see more about the *production* of the series.
These types of features is what they did with the Hana-Barbera Golden/Classic collections, none of those features went into the backstory, that and they were all under about 15mins.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Back in the mid-1980's I was doing some work for Adam West.

William Dozier, Charles Fitzsimons and Mr. West all recalled gag reels being shown at the wrap parties for (at least) the first two seasons. The bloopers were shown on interlocked 35mm picture and magnetic tracks. Sadly, nobody knows what happened to the footage.

I can tell you that I am providing some unique material to the set, including something very rare that has not been seen since early January, 1966.

I can say no more! :)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well, I would note that underwhelming stuff is specifically called "All new" bonus content, so maybe there is hope for the stuff we would rather see that would fall under the category of not necessarily being "new" content.

High C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andante
+ 1 zillion

High C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andante
NO, it is not understandable, it is PATHETIC people were too ignorant to forward think about hoem viewing (heck eveb back then, tapes were circulated between tv stations for shows,) SO ANY exec back then who had 1 active brain cell could have surmised, heck maybe people at home 1 day may watch this, so lets keep it
I didn't say I agreed with it or liked it, just that it was understandable because producers and the like didn't think that way back then. Home video wasn't even a gleam in anyone's eye in 1966-68, with Betamax still years in the distance. Syndication was the be-all and end-all in terms of 'how can we make money when the run is over.' Sad, but that's the truth.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I try to hold my opinion until all of the facts are in, so I do think it is too early to come to a conclusion. However, it does annoy me that WHV has not released something that really explains what's going on with these sets as I was expecting to hear something more definite after the panel.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Wow. You'd think that no one wanted the series released after all. Just extras, many that were already available. The most requested TV show for home video ever, people crying for it for DECADES, and now they don't want to buy it because they don't like the extras. Remind me again about why studios don't listen to us anymore?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I must have missed something but I don't think I saw anyone in this thread state they were cancelling their order because of the fact the bonus content really sounds bad at this point. I know I'm not and I will look forward to the set just the same for what it represents with the episodes, but I think given the hype and hoopla surrounding the announcement, the last thing I was expecting was to hear that the bonus content on the less than $10 Blu-Ray of the 66 Batman movie was better than what they're serving up on this.

sandijorgens1

Auditioning
Real Name
sandi
JohnMor said:
Wow. You'd think that no one wanted the series released after all. Just extras, many that were already available. The most requested TV show for home video ever, people crying for it for DECADES, and now they don't want to buy it because they don't like the extras. Remind me again about why studios don't listen to us anymore?
I am not buying because WB is pulling a "MILL CREEK" and cramming too many dang episodes per disc, which will mean compression artifacts & low bitrates with not as much detail

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
JohnMor said:
Totally agree with you JohnMor........As you pointed out, most of the bonus extras mentioned on this forum have already been available. I am just happy to get this set just for the episodes themselves. For once, I will be able to view the episodes without have the F/X logo on the bottom of my screen and the fuzzy video from my vhs tapes recorded from the cable station!! I am not canceling my order....I'm looking forward to watching these episodes again in the Blu-Ray format. Let's just all appreciate the fact that this show is FINALLY being released!!!! We need to stop acting like babies over bonus content.....and appreciate that we have the episodes themselves!!!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So let me get this straight...

I wake up this morning to find out that you have to buy an expensive
box of junk to get these episodes.

This is why the set should have fallen in Fox's hands.

I will wait for the eventual release of just the discs. It may take another
year, but at least that will represent what should have been released.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
We need to stop acting like babies over bonus content.....and appreciate that we have the episodes themselves!!!
Let me try to explain this again. This has *nothing* to do with being ungrateful for the release of the episodes in top-line quality, nor does it have anything to do with deciding to cancel orders because of anger over the bonus content. It's simply giving an honest reaction to something that was part of a mega-hyped event that I thinks it's safe to say for a lot of reasonable minded people raised some expectations on bonus content that now turned out to not justify the hoopla of the announcement presentation. I think if you look past the repetitive posts from one person, you'll find that we're approaching this situation in a reasonable fashion.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
My own thought is that they're attempting to justify the premium prices - certainly on the LE BluRay set - by including what Ron Epstein colourfuly descibes as the "box of junk". Basically some, well, not tat because they look quite nice, but really incidentals like the toy Batmobile (which I think everyone had already guessed would be there)

What's really disappointing is that it looks as though Warne rhave cheaped on the one thing they shouldn't have: the number of discs. There's over 60 hours of material on there - 120 episodes plus the extras - and they're cramming in on 13 BluRays? and I would assume the DVD release will be just as stuffed full (though they better not try putting five hours on DVD's - oh lord, let it not be those damned double-sided discs!)

Warner keep doing this. Look at their Marine Boy sets - 78 episodes over nine discs!

I dont; see the point of going back to something like the original elements and remastering it all in glorious HD and then cheapskating on the numbe rof discs and ending up overcompressing it all. This series was made on film, it is rich and colourful and should look wonderful, it is almost made to get people to buy into BluRay!

The set appears more as a display item. It's design is consistent with the limited edition released of Batman the Animated Series and Batman Beyond, judging bythe picture.

I am going to be buying the standard DVD set. Hopefuly it will just be a bog-standard set in Amaray style boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks