What's new

1941 movie (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
just bought a "lower priced" 1941 (Steven Spielberg) movie but the cover art seems to be different than the original issue???? Though both are supposed to be "extended" versions, what is the difference between the two?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
just bought a "lower priced" 1941 (Steven Spielberg) movie but the cover art seems to be different than the original issue???? Though both are supposed to be "extended" versions, what is the difference between the two?
Universal has recently changed the cover art on a number of titles (see also: The Frighteners and Dante's Peak). The discs are the same.

DJ

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
For anyone who has seen this, how is the transfer? Bill Hunt's review is brutal. :eek: However, at around $10 I'm thinking any buyer's remorse won't be due to the transfer. :D

Jamie Steeves

Auditioning
I'd have to agree with Bill Hunt, the transfer IS pretty terrible. BUT... I think it's a great flick, and for only $10, I, for one, am more than willing to forgive the nasty transfer (and who knows when a better edition will ever come out). I say go for it.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
This is a pretty lousy transfer, even by mid-90s laserdisc standards, but the disc is definitely worth the $10. The Bouzereau documentary is really interesting, the reviews are fun to read, the teaser trailer with John Belushi is a hoot, and there's an isolated score track. :emoji_thumbsup:

And I lucked out; I found the original cover art with the discounted price. :D *ducks*

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
This is GREAT news!!

Ive always put this disc off becuase I didnt think it was worth the $30-$37 price tag Ive seen on it.

Ill definitely be picking it up now - thanks for the info.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
A few weeks ago I was in Best Buy and saw the $10 version of 1941 and immediately snatched it up. Then I walked through the aisles and found the Dragon's Lair 20th Anniversary boxed set so I made the choice to put 1941 on hold for the time being. I always considered getting the $30 version but never did, so as long as nothing distracts me I'll definitely be getting the $10 copy some time soon.

Do both discs have the same exact contents or is this like the new slimmer version of the Close Encounters DVD?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
:frowning:

I bought the disc over a year ago for about 22 bucks.

But I like my cover art more. :)

(This is one of my all-time favorite comedies and one I think has earned a stunningly undeserved reputation.)

Derek Faber

Stunt Coordinator
The transfer sucks big time and I'm pretty easy going on things like this.

The film sucks too.

I wonder why I bought it? Damn those shiny covers.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I think it's a lousy film too but I have it only because of the fascinating set of extras and because since Spielberg's career spanning the period from "Duel" to "E.T" as the most interesting, I think it's a must have for that reason only.

MikeCD

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched 1941 and I think the transfere is pretty damn good. Not nearly as bad as I was expecting given Mr. Hunts reveiew. There was almost no print damage. There's a small amount of compression artifacts in heavy fog scenes. Almost the entire movie was shot using a soft filter, so don't blame that. And I do wear my glasses when watching my 46" Mits 46809, and it is calibrated, and I have over 130 other DVDs to compare it with using a Pioneer DVD525. Sure, it could use an anamorphic treatment, and the center channel needs to be increased by about 5 decibles, but otherwise this is very watchable. I'd give it a solid 4 of 5 or a "B".

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I was suprised too.The transfer isnt GREAT but its doesnt "suck".

Its better than the P&S dark,muddy VHS copies weve been watching for 20 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks