What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

1933 King Kong in November (1 Viewer)

StevenFC

Second Unit
I can at least verify that Laser's Edge gets their titles days before the release date because I've been in their store when they've received some titles. However, I like shopping in their store, so I can't verify how quick they are to ship them out. I'm pretty sure they don't put them on their shelves early.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Again not true. All my Amazon preorders are placed with free shipping, yet they all ship Sunday/Monday and I have them in my hands Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Actually, it **is** true. Just because your experience is different doesn't mean my description isn't accurate. I ordered from Amazon for years with free shipping and my stuff was always shipped on or before release dates. But since August (and around the time Amazon started it's "Prime" shipping promotion) all my orders with free shipping have had delayed ship dates, and the actual shipping of the items has taken MUCH longer, like 10-12 days instead of 2 or 3 days spent in transit.

Just today I noticed that some items I ordered that were being released on the 15th had a ship date of Nov. 22. I didn't want to wait for Nov 22 + 10 or so days in transit, so I switched the shipping on the order to standard paid shipping, and guess what? The ship date is now Nov. 11 and the arrival date is no later than the 16th.

As someone who has used Amazon for a long time, and more for DVD purchases that anything else, it seems to me that Amazon is changing it's shipping policies. I hope I'm wrong about that, but the evidence of my experience over the last three months says otherwise.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I think you *are* wrong about that, no offense. Amazon's "estimated shipping date" has always been woefully inaccurate. Often I'll have the DVD in my hands, while the shipping date would say I still had a week to wait. For example, I preordered the DuckTales and Chip 'n Dale sets in September, and received them today. The order was placed with free shipping. I believe Amazon shipped it Sunday or Monday, and today's Wednesday.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Sam states what is true for me as well. Amazon wants you to use Amazon Prime or pay more for shipping. When i use FREE shipping i never get my order before release date...even when my order was made MONTHS earlier. Usually its a week after release day that i get my order. But heck, its free shipping, you get what you pay for. You want Kong fast, you gotta pay for it.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

That's the reason that I started the discussion to start with. If you have to pay for it, then why pre-order it? You might as well stop at the store and pick it up, which is why I asked about availability of this title at B&Ms.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Ray Morton, the author of the Kong book has published some details and reviews on his site:

http://www.raymorton.com/kingkong.html

the link to the review page on my site:

http://www.raymorton.com/reviews.html
]Ray Morton official site[/url]

From Publishers Weekly - November 7, 2005:

"Script magazine columnist Morton, who views King Kong as "an enduring cultural icon," was captivated at age eight by the giant gorilla, and his "Kong-mania went into overdrive" with the 1976 Dino De Laurentiis version. In an effort to survey all feature films in which Kong appears, Morton interviewed surviving cast and crew members, visited archives and trekked to film locations, documenting everything from ape suits, budget woes and optical effects to "Kongs That Never Were." The lengthy opening chapter recaps the making of the 1933 film in exhaustive detail, illustrated with dramatic conceptual art and test shots; an equal amount of space is given to the 1976 remake. Shorter chapters review "The Son of Kong," "King Kong vs. Godzilla," "King Kong Escapes" and "King Kong Lives." Peter Jackson's forthcoming version gets only 14 pages, but fans dazzled by this book's 100 color and b&w illustrations (storyboards, stills, production art, collectibles) and comprehensive coverage of past Kongs won't complain.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Just an FYI: my screener arrived today, so I'm sure all the other critics also have theirs. Look for reviews to appear soon!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Sorry - I don't do that kind of thing because I don't want to draw away attention from the HTF's own review. I posted that I'd gotten my DVD just to let people know that they're arriving, but I don't feel comfortable making other comments about it...

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
With all due respect to others, after seeing how some people got bent out of shape (needlessly in my opinion) over screen caps of Ben Hur, OZ, etc. I'm not going to make any judgements until I watch the film with my own eyes on my own display.

I'm confident Warners will deliver a wonderful DVD. At the same time, this is a 72 year old movie with serious element issues. The success or failure of Warners' efforts will be best judged after people see the films for themselves. I will certainly value the input and observations from Mr. Kane and others, but I caution against making judgements over screen caps.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

Truer words were never spoken Steve. And for that very reason, I'll be much more careful about any caps that I post to accompany any future reviews.

Sadly, I'm still Kongless.....

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Damn the bickering, show me some screen caps!!!

(yells up at ceiling ala' Shatner in WOK) KOOOOOOOONG!!!!!!!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member

In comparison to nitrate prints of other films of the era, which can be razor sharp and full of genuine detail; Kong itself looks better than I've ever seen it look but it doesn't have that level of detail, so I don't want to get people's hopes up. Considering the huge quantity of effects shots, which almost necessarily involve some degradation, I'm not sure it ever could look much better.

Son of Kong is gorgeous for the most part (although right at the finale the source print is in terribly abused shape--surely there must be a better source for this 1-2 minute stretch?). Mighty Joe Young looks fabulous all the way through, but that's a much more recent picture too.

StevenFC

Second Unit
Thanks to the Ladies and Gents at Warner for the effort that went into this DVD. I'm sure they could have done a lot less and just said "hey, it's old" and waited until HD to make an effort. But it appears that Warner, and most likely Mr. Feltenstein in particular, went for the gusto (as usual) and pulled off another near miracle.

I haven't seen it yet mind you, but it sounds like they gave it the usual Warner effort that is pretty much the de facto standard for DVD production. Here's hoping that "Kong" and "The Wizard of Oz" make enough of a profit to encourage the next project.

Now that they've finished with Kong, I wonder what they're working on next...??

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Z!
Kong always looked soft to me. Like a dream or fantasy. It looked like a vaseline closeup thoughout. Thought it was intentional, as well as a result of rear projection.
Could the lack of "sharpness" be the source?
How about wear & damage?
Thanks.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Not without some serious digital tinkering which I'm sure they want to avoid as much as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soonercineaste
Recent bookmarks