What's new

1933 King Kong in November (1 Viewer)

JackKay

Second Unit
Barrie Maxwell in his column at the Digital Bits, I quote: "and the long-anticipated King Kong (1933) special edition (two discs) in November. Supplements are unconfirmed at this time, but knowing Warners' track record, should be extensive." No coincidence there I'am sure, but I finally see a release date for a movie I think has been ready to ship for a long time. :)

Barrie Maxwell

Stunt Coordinator
The Digital Bits has never claimed that the information included in my lengthy summaries of upcoming classic releases is exclusive news. If you've read past columns, you will have seen that I addressed this issue extensively. I have acknowledged a lengthy list of sources from which the information is culled on a routine basis. I have, however, no intention of mentioning every source individually for each piece of release news in each column. Not only is that added work for me for what is after all simply a volunteer service to readers, but it also decreases the column's readability substantially. And after all, this is a summary of DVD release info, not a scientific paper. If such an approach rubs some people the wrong way, so be it.

Barrie

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Barrie, I'm pretty sure Gordon was kidding. We all appreciate the great work you do in your Bits column.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Whatever the source, there is no doubt that KK will see a release later in the year. The likely range of dates has always been in the Q3/Q4 arena so November seems plausible and October/November has shown up from a number of sources (look at DVDTalk for more 'rumors'). At any rate we will finally see this released. Hopefully, the long wait won't put a damper on the event. There will always be those that will complain about something in a high profile release that has been long anticipated. For me it will be a pleasure to have it in my collection, finally :) .

Joel

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I guess you can throw me into that catagory. If the film is ready to be released then release it. IMO don't wait until the remake appears. I believe this title can stand on its own hind legs.

I'll get my fire proof suit on now. ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Why? If that's the way you feel about it then that's your opinion. Others might not agree with it, but based on your past posts on this matter, I don't see anybody else changing your mind.

Crawdaddy

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
This title definitely CAN stand on its own big hairy primate hind legs for classic/fantasy film fans, and would doubtless sell very well if released next week.

However, I'm sure that WB marketing thinks (probably correctly) that there is a significant incremental number of J6P-ish customers who will take a much higher interest in the original version while the hype is at a fever pitch for the new one ("...from the man who brought you 'The Lord of the Rings' yada yada..."). And everyone here at HTF who would buy it next week will still buy it then.

It's all about $$$.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Any marketing person who is smart
enough to be working for a major
studio immediately sees the advantage
of releasing the 1933 version around
the same time as the theatrical remake.

This should be of no surprise to anyone.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Call me dense but I could never understand these timed releases. Why do the studios think a certain catalog title won't sell when released on its own, not to coincide with some big-budget remake or something. I just don't understand that logic at all. If people want to buy the 1933 King Kong, they will, because they want to, not because they've seen the new version.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I agree with this completely, but from my experience what also works in this scenario is a promotion. The disc could easily be released tomorrow, and then in 10 months from now, they could offer a promotion where you get $5 off the dvd, if you present your movie-ticket stub or something along those lines. That or they could wait for the remake DVD, and do a promo with that where you get $5 off when buying both. I've seen similar promotions work very well in the past. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that they have multiple options.

Of course, we're still presuming that WB is holding this title for that reason. I do believe that there was a delay in order to improve the disc, but then the opportunity arose to delay it further in order to coincide and increase sales.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

It's a sort of fad.

The fact that this November King Kong
will be the biggest draw in theaters is going
to substantially help the original sell more
copies than if sold on its own.

Think about it....

Young kid goes with Mom and Dad to the theater
to see the new 2005 King Kong movie. Next
day, while in the local supermarket or Walmart
that kid sees the 1933 version on the shelf.
"Oh Boy -- it's King Kong" exclaims the
kid, hopefully leading to a purchase and a new
generation turned onto a movie classic.

Scenerios like this happen all the time.
Studios look to time their DVD releases
either with a similar theatrical film or
even piggy-backing upon another studio's
huge DVD release.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

The problem with those ideas is that a different studio is releasing the remake. Warner has little incentive to promote ticket or DVD sales for the remake; they're in a position where they want to syphon interest off of the remake.

DJ

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Well wouldn't they know it's not the movie they just seen the other day in the theater? That that's not possible? Plus the cover will most definitely be in the same vintage style that WB has adopted with their classics, so just by looking at the cover you'll be instanly able to see that this isn't a 2005 movie.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

I think Ron's "Oh Boy -- it's King Kong" exclamation referred to the child's recognition of and interest in the character and story, not confusion with regard to which film it is.

DJ

Matt-R

Grip
I know it is poorly regarded but I'd like to see Paramount release a special edition of the 1976 remake to tie in as well.

According to the IMDB the TV version had 45 minutes added to it. The troubled production would also make for an interesting documentary.

Anyway I wanted the original like yesterday, but I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
I've never seen King Kong before (:b) and I've held off renting it for the past year or so waiting for this release so this is good news for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks