What's new

10" sub help any with a large speaker? (1 Viewer)

Mike^C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I've looking into a cheap sub and am seriously considering the Dayton DIY 10" for $350. Its gotten some good press. Now my mains right now are doing all the work set to "large". They're Paradigm Monitor 9v2's with a Freq response that stops at 45hz on axis and has a Low Freq Extension of 33hz. Now the Dayton says its useful up to about 30hz. My question is, is it even worth it to buy this sub right now? Besides freeing up some power in the receiver, what would this thing do for me?

BrianAe

Second Unit
You never stated if this is for home theater or music only. If it is for HT or multi-channel music, one thing to consider is whether or not your receiver will drop the LFE signal if you don't have a sub. Many will drop it but others can redirect the output to the mains.

The next thing to consider is how low you need to go. For most music, 33hz is plenty. For HT, 33hz is ok but many films go down to 25hz with a few going below 20 and its in the lower regions where you really generate the energy that the LFE effects are going for.

If you could make use of the extension based upon the material you listen to, then 3hz will make a difference. In addition, the ability to place the sub in the corner will probably give it an even lower extension after you take into account room gain. Also, in both cases, you have to evaluate how accurate you think the specs are. You should test your mains to see how low they really go.

finally, I should mention that I used to have an amazing 10" sub from Aperion Audio that was fairly flat down to 25hz and still had usable sound down to 20hz. It costs about 500 I think.

Mitch_J

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up a S-12 subwoofer from Aperion and they're having a sale on the cherry colored 12' sub for the price of the 10" sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks