What's new
World Wide Stereo

08: Home Theater Project Beginning (1 Viewer)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If your studs are 16" on center, then the box needs to be 17.5" wide. I'd also go with dual layer MDF. For my dual 18" manifold, it is 17.5"x24"x24". My cut list for dual manifolds was:
8 pieces - 24" x 24" (sides where the drivers mount)
8 pieces - 24" x 14.5" (ends)
4 pieces - 21" x 14.5" (top)

For you, I'd go with:
4 pieces - 24" x 48" (sides where the drivers mount)
4 pieces - 24" x 14.5" (ends)
1 piece - 22.5" x 14.5" (window brace for the middle)
2 pieces - 45" x 14.5" (top)

You will drive each pair of 18's with one channel of the EP-2500. Each pair of drivers wired in series for a 4 ohm load.

I never asked. Do you have a separate room for your EP-2500? If not, you want to investigate making the fan quieter.

-Robert

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

God_Speed351

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck Burgess
The only seperate room would be the garage. I could put the amp out there where noise would not be a factor.

Which box would I go with in the beginning with only 2 18's Go ahead with the window brace or put in a solid piece of MDF?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Go with A. The larger the opening the better. Splitting it with a solid brace may not make any difference acoustically. At least with a window brace, the minor differences in output will be evened out a little more.

That 14.5" is the internal measurement. The outside measurement will be 17.5".

-Robert

God_Speed351

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck Burgess
It should work out fine putting the amp in the garage next to the IB, The only wire I would have to run through the wall would be the out from the receiver . Do they make a wall plate for a connection like that?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Do you mean something like this? PE has hundreds of different wall plates and adapters. I use an RCA to F adapter at my receiver. I run RG-6 with crimp on F-connectors throught the walls and attic. Another RCA to F adapter at the receiver. And an RCA to mono 1/4" phono plug connected the EP-2500.

If your garage gets extremely hot, then wouldn't install it there. If it is dusty, build a smaller box on top of your manifold to enclose the entire amp. Put some type of filter system into it so the air circulating inside the amp is clean. Open the case and turn the original fan around so it sucks are from the front of the amp rather than the rear.

If you install it inside, get a quiet fan. You will need to fashion your own plug for it but most use the 3.5" power plug from an old PC power supply. I'll even send you one if you need it.

-Robert

God_Speed351

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck Burgess

Yeah the garage gets pretty hot during the Summer months. So the box will sit on the back of the studs then and I'll just put in small braces to tie the Studs together to form a box between the studs that the IB will mount to.

God_Speed351

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck Burgess
I have a quick question. I have a HTiB now(5.1 non powered sub) Someone gave me a powered sub(unsure about brand, watts etc) Could I hook up the powered sub to the HTiB Receiver to use until I can get my new receiver and IB built?(Temporary, like less than a month)
The only numbers I can find are Model # AP-A120 and DA-1000.SUB

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sure. If you HTiB has an LFE output, then connect that to the line level input of the temp sub. If it only has speaker outs for the sub, then those would connect to the speaker level input of the temp sub.

-Robert

God_Speed351

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck Burgess
The HTiB has a Sub out but it connects using the spring type connectors. The HTiB Receiver powers the sub, so will it hurt anything to have a powered signal going to a powered sub? Can I make my own connector that goes from a spring type conntctor to a RCA?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The spring connectors are speaker level. Just like I mentioned in my previous post. Just connect that output to the sub's high level inputs. You only need to connect the Left input on the sub.

Yes, you could use a line output converter and send that signal to the low level inputs. But that would be a waste of money since that's what the high level inputs are already doing.

-Robert

God_Speed351

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck Burgess
Just making sure. Any Clue on the brand of sub that is, the guy said it was a Design Concepts Inc(DCI) Sub? Could not find anything on the net. Yeah I dont want to waste any money, all money is going towards the IB. But I figured this was free so I might as well test it out.;) Thanks.

Now I gotta start ordering my equipment.

2 Fi 18's($209 each)
EP-2500($249)

MDF(Home Depot $?.00)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Never heard of the brand nor do I recognize anything from the pictures. But any sub is better than no sub.

MDF at HD is about $23 a sheet here. It all depends on how far you are from the factory.

-Robert

God_Speed351

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck Burgess
I hooked up the sub last night and while is sounds "better" than what I had. It has a rattle at certain levels, and is kinda distorted sounding, so it will work for a few weeks but then it will be leaving.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satimis
Recent bookmarks