What's new

Your top 10 "Fantasy" DVDs that will never come out (bootlegs don't count) (1 Viewer)

Nick Totoro

Stunt Coordinator

I have the one that was recorded in Brazil and came out a few years ago. Not as good as the older concert videos that I have on tape (IMHO), but it's something... ;)

The lists above look very thorough. Most of mine are music-related, but I have a few movies I wish to see, but (sadly) probably never will...

1) The unaltered original Star Wars trilogy. Clean up things like the transparencies, but leave the stories and scenes unaltered. I'm still surprised after Lucas added all that mess that they still have the bad stop-motion looking scene at the beginning of ANH when R2 puts out his center leg.

2) Van Halen, Live Without a Net.

3) An anamorphic release of True Lies with DTS (never say never here, though)

4) Blade Runner SE (say never)

5) Queensryche Live in Tokyo (from the early '80's).

Can't think of five more. I'm sure I'll agree with someone else's... :)

Nick

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
- Excalibur Special Edition
- Mulholland Drive Special Edition
- Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me with Deleted Scenes
- 25th Hour with the rumored cut Anna Paquin topless scene :D Hey I can dream cant I?
- A Clockwork Orange Dir Cut
- Ran and Kagemusha extended cuts
- Oliver Stone Films Remastered (Nixon,Doors,NBK)
- Star Wars Trilogy Theatrical versions

About the Godfather - I agree alot of the deleted scenes really would be great put back in. Almost all arent throw away at all. The Hyman Roth Scene in GF2 and Michael talking to his father in the hospitol ("The miracles u do for strangers") are excellent scenes.
I disagree about chronological order though.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Aside from the usual lost suspects:
1. The original cut of Greed
2. London After Midnight
3. Original cut of The Magnificent Ambersons
4. Theda Bara's Cleopatra
5. The two-movie Cleopatra
6. The original cut of 2001

I'm pretty sure I'll never see:
7. Song of the South
8. Four Flies on Grey Velvet
9. Danger: Diabolik
10. Siege of the Saxons--few remember or will admit to having seen this dismal adventure picture, but it made a huge impression on me as a kid. No one in their right minds would release it, since no one but me would buy it. :frowning:

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
1 Decent sounding copy of The Right Stuff

2 MTV footage from 1981-1983 era including interviews with then unknown artists like Duran Duran, etc. Include the spots from that era too.

3 Garfields 9 lives.

4 Early 70's KISS concert footage.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Id like to see Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (got it on laserdisc)I'll also vote for two of Joe Berandi's choices. Crossroads and I wanna Hold your Hand. The latter I have on Laserdisc. Its a great movie,also Robert Zemeckis's first movie and produced by Steven Speilberg

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

Whew!!! For a minute there I thought there was a version of the Britney Spears version with "previously unseen footage". :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Folks, this thread is supposed to cover DVDs you'd love to have but have zero percent chance of ever hitting the shelves. I suppose it was inevitable it'd degenerate into a simple wish list, but it defeats the whole purpose of thread.

There are LOTS of titles listed here that have no reason that they'll NEVER appear on DVD. Crossroads? I Wanna Hold Your Hand? Why in the world would these be titles that will NEVER hit the shelves?

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
I would love to have something like the recent Led Zeppelin DVD done for Genesis. The more Peter Gabriel footage the better.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I'll take a disc with JUST the deleted Kirsten Dunst nude scene from "Crazy Beautiful"
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

I just don't know the answer to this. If you have some insider info, I'll delete the appropriate titles. Sorry Colin.
:frowning:

richardWI

Second Unit
Oh yeah how about Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me with correct sound levels during the "welcome to Canada" sequence. The music is supposed to simultaneously kick down your doors and blow out your windows while the dialogue is BARELY audiable. On the DVD some genius cranked up the dialogue making the subtitles useless.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
1. Kubrick's "Fear and Desire" (from what I've heard, the early shorts, Day Of The Fight and The Flying Padre, and the documentary The Seafarers actually will be coming out something - supposedly commentary has already been recorded by film scholars).

2. "Lost Horizon" - with all of the missing footage found and restored, though I give much credit to Robert Gitt for finding as much of it as he has on the current DVD.

3. The "Star Wars" trilogy - original theatrical versions, no special edition changes, no remixed soundtracks, no updated visual effects.

4. "Song Of The South" uncut - just because I love classic Disney animation. This one would be especially good if it was released in a special edition with insightful commentary constructed from the Disney archives, as well as featuring scholarly commentary about the makings of the film and the controversies surrounding it now.

5. "The Magnificent Ambersons" - I'm sure it'll never be found complete, but I can hope, right?

6. "Renaldo & Clara" & the "Hard Rain" concert - Two bits of Bob Dylan history from the mid-70s Rolling Thunder Revue, presented with appropriate supplements and care on DVD.

7. "2010" - I've read in more than one place that the original cut was over 2 1/2 hours. If this is actually true, I want it. (I'd love to see the deleted stuff from "2001" but I am satisfied that the current release accurately reflect's Kubrick's wishes for how the film should be seen.)

8. "Blade Runner" - I can't believe this actually has to be on my 'don't think it will ever come out' list.

9. "Superman II" and "Superman IV" - I'd love to see a full Donner cut of II, or at least as best they can do, and I'd also like to see the 2+ hour cut of IV.

10. So many other good choices on this forum, so I'll just say that I want most of the things other people are asking for too.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Peter J. Solmo's classic 1971 musical animated feature, Jack & The Beanstalk.

I wonder which studio owns the rights?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Two more.

I'll second WKRP (musically uncompromised) which someone else mentioned.

Also, can't believe I forgot It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (fully restored by Robert Harris) before it's too late. :frowning:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

It's not a matter of insider info, of which I possess none for the films mentioned. It's a matter of wondering why anyone would think a DVD release of some of these films is virtually impossible. Woody Allen commentary? Extremely unlikely given his attitude toward DVD extras and his general lack of chattiness anyway. Non-SE Star Wars? Seems like a real long-shot given Lucas' attitude. Compleat Beatles? Given the rights issues, that one seems dead in the water for DVD.

But many others have no reason I can discern why they won't hit DVD eventually. With every year, studios' back catalogs of unreleased titles diminish, which makes unissued flicks more likely to appear.

I didn't mean to pick on the folks who mentioned Crossroads or I Wanna Hold Your Hand, and maybe there're some rights questions I don't know about. But I still feel like too many of the charts here feel like wishlists and less like discussions of programs with almost no shot to ever appear on DVD...

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
what are the other versions of a clockwork orange and 2001? i havent heard of any other versions of the movie, didnt kubrick have final cut of these? i cant think of any dvds that havent already been posted, but i would be very excited if the lost masters for wendy carlos' the shining were found. i have the vinyl release, my only vinyl disc in fact, i dont even have a turntable. gimme the bat!

oh yeah, if the only version of brazil we had was 'love conquers all', then i think gilliam's cut would be on this list.

CJ

Eric Eash

Second Unit
1.Star Wars OT in pure form

2.Scream anamorphic director's cut

3.anamorphic widescreen version of Full Metal Jacket,

4.anamorphic version of Criterion Robocop

5.Matrix trilogy superbit

6.Star Wars 1-6 Superbit or at least with dts

7.first and only season of The Highwaymen

8.Seinfeld (i know this one is coming, but i'm fantasizing about it right now if that counts)

9.disneys aladdin (for the wife)

10. finally a subscription type service in which i receive a dvd a month each definitively covering an exotic car in the most detail possible and mixed with the highest bitrate video and audio possible so i can hear an authentic ferrari v12 screaming to life in my living room.

eric

KyleK

Second Unit
My Neighbor Totoro: SE (OSL, OAR)
Blade Runner 3-disc SE
Star Wars original trilogy non-SE

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Hey Colin, We're sorry our choices didnt meet your expectations but some of us have had a DVD player since day one and thats like 6 years. Since those are two of my favorite movies and after 6 years of a particular format (DVD) one would have to begin wondering if we will ever see them. Most all of the others on my list were mentioned and how many people needed to put Song of the South and the Original Star Wars (non SE's)on repetitive lists? I wanted to support someones elses similar tastes and maybe just maybe studio might read this and put them out :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks