What's new

Your opinions on a few Criterion laserdiscs versus their DVD counterparts (1 Viewer)

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I am considering a few Criterion laserdiscs, I just wanted to have your opinions on the image quality on the laser versus the DVD, and the extras.
The adventures of Baron Munchausen
The dvd is barebones I think, the laser has some extras. (commentary, documentaries, interviews)
Citizen Kane - I have the DVD and think it is amazing, so this would be purchased for extras only. How does the documentary compare to what is on the DVD. Is there anything new to be learned?
The fisher king - The laser has commentary, documentary, deleted scenes, costume tests, the DVD has only a trailer.
The last picture show - Commentary on LD vs documentary on DVD
I am already leaning towards the laserdiscs, and I'm not entirely sure why I am asking, but if you can help prevent any future disappointments, please do :)

Christopher_J_F

Stunt Coordinator
The adventures of Baron Munchausen
The dvd is barebones I think, the laser has some extras. (commentary, documentaries, interviews)
>>>More like a TON of extras! (Many text based):emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
The fisher king - The laser has commentary, documentary, deleted scenes, costume tests, the DVD has only a trailer.
>>>I LOVE this disc! Forget the lame dvd of it and go with this. If you felt this great but mostly forgotten film deserved better this is the one you want. Gilliam was very hands on with the content.
Plus for the "Cool" factor, LD cant be beat! (IMHO);)
(Sorry, but I dont have the CCLD's of the other two.)
-Good luck!

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Although the current Taxi Driver DVD has some fine extras, the Criterion LD had that awesome Martin Scorsese commentary along with some other goodies.
The aforementioned Fisher King and Baron Munchausen discs are also amazing, especially in comparison with their DVD counterparts.
Although I never owned it (and severely wanted to!), Criterion's Evita had an Alan Parker commentary, documentaries about the filming and about the real Evita Peron. The DVD is bare-bones, and non-anamorphic to boot.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the comments!

For the Terry Gilliam pcitures, I had more or less decided to get the lasers already.

Citizen Kane and The last picture show are the two I'm most on the fence about. I'm already thinking about skipping the laser of Citizen Kane, unless someone really likes the extras. I am definitively getting The last picture show, in one form or another. DVD or LD is the big question...

Matthew,
As the originator of the thread I wasn't really looking for a discussion of Criterion laser in general, just a few specific titles, but by all means, we could do that as well. Speaking of which, what was the address to that criterion laser site, it duplicated Criterions own site?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
All the ones you mentioned are great if you are buying them for the extras. However I wouldn't recommend buying them in place of the DVD. Baron Munchausen and Fisher King look far better on DVD as they were struck from High-Def transfers. Same with Last Picture Show and Taxi Driver. The Criterion LD's have the great extras but the DVDs are much better for watching the actual film.
Jeff

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
See Jeff, that's exactly what neither I or my poor, poor wallet needed to hear!
Seriously, thanks, I suspected as much. You obviously read my real question between the lines: Might I just as well skip the DVD :)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I heard from many people that Taxi Driver's cinematographer-supervised transfer on the Criterion LD is far superior.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
IMHO, the Criterion MUNCHAUSEN LD is superior, color and transfer-wise, to the DVD. (excepting sharpness) Even the Columbia LD is better.
I hope Columbia will seriously consider a remaster of this visually elegant film.
Possibly as a Superbitª SE...

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
I don't have the Last Picture Show DVD, but I do have
the laser disc.

A very nice commentary by director Bogdanovich and
screen tests of the local folks and location footage.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
LPS LD 125 min. +/-
LPS DVD 126 min +/-
I think the alt. ver. is the theater ver. (118 min.)
vs. the LD & DVD version.

What is important is the recent announcement
of Texasville on DVD.
Theater ver. of 123 min., but I have
a SE LD with a longer 150 min. version.
What version will they use?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks