What's new

You guys see the size of this hog ? (1 Viewer)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member

Sadly, that's all too true now. With the abundance of hunting shows and magazines and hunting expos, the focus is now on taking the top scoring animal in its particular class. If you do that, the magazines and television shows will come running.
I enjoy going whitetail hunting but I hunt by a different code: the survival of the fittest. For a mature whitetail to survive until it's five years old or older, it takes a superior ability to escape danger. For me to harvest that animal, I have to outsmart him/her in their environment. I take pride in doing that. With whitetails, if I were to harvest a world record, it would be because I put the work in and at the same time, was extremely lucky. In both cases, I'd feel rightfully proud of this accomplishment. To see that this hog was raised in a barn and let loose four days prior to being slaughtered is a disgrace and it certainly isn't hunting.

Bruce

suchabuydotcom

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard Plumer
Here's how critters like the giant hog - and larger - could come to be (I have a photo of a re-constructed giant rhino-type, standing - I think the video said - "only" 15 feet high at the shoulder and maybe 25 feet long (it looked larger, and a full grown man working at the museum was standing straight up under the low sag of its belly), and it obviously needed a giant vegetatable (herbivorous) Edenic diet, not being one built for quick scampering about to snatch up snails and the like (though it could have picked up a few with great snoutfuls of grass). Maybe I will get a copy of that video clip on the web site. But check this out:

Oooops! I think the link I was showing was filtered out.

You could just click on the "prehistoric" giant hog's photo at suchabuy to get to page 521.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Why does it always have to be "cool" to kill something really big? or the biggest of it's kind?

Like I said, you obviously don't get it when it comes to hunting.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Someone's really taken this seriously & gone over the top in analysing the various photos that have been made available of the pic:

http://66.226.75.96/pig/

REALLY in depth.

That bark on the tree is definitely far different in the second pic, despite the pig being in the same position relative to the tree... Why bother doing photoshop work to these? The pig's obviously big.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
> Why does it always have to be "cool" to kill something really big? or the biggest of it's kind?

It's not being "cool" that drives hunters to get the biggest of the big, but the adrenaline rush and the self-satisfaction they get from killing it.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter

Yeah, so? Doesn't mean I still can't cook it and still have it taste very good.

Also, there are different types of fish, if I go deep sea fishing and catch several Sea Bass, when I catch something else, I will want to eat something different too.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I guess I'm just lucky living here. The rivers within a few miles of my house (Boise, Snake, et al.) are apparently stuffed with fish. No need to deal with anything but fish caught the same day.

Solyent Green is......

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

As long as there is adult supervision - which in the monster pig case is clear from the news reports - there shouldn't be any problem. My uncle taught me to shoot a rifle and a shotgun at that age. Heck, the Boy Scouts have a marksmanship merit badge, and they are that age. I qualified for rifle marksmanship at that age as a Boy Scout at summer camp.

Don't they have Boy Scouts in Canada? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks