What's new

You all talked me into adding an amp - THANKS!! (1 Viewer)

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I went out and bought something else I didn't know I needed based on reading this forum. My wife is gonna kill me... I picked up a Newcastle AM-9080 after the many threads about adding an amp &/or separates on here over the last month. I was finally able to Wire everything last night and play around a little bit. The results - in a word - WOW! Thanks for the reccomendation - this is a huge improvement.
I upgraded to a Denon 3802 in January. Very happy with the results - really a great receiver. I "thought" everything sounded great - until I start reading all the posts about adding an amp or separates. Years ago I stared out with separates for stereo - B&K ST202 and a sweet Superphon preamp. Enjoyed the sound. Now, though for 5.1 & 7.1 I figured a receiver was plenty. Ohhhhhh, was I wrong. I started snooping audiogon and ebay for amps and quickly decided I wanted to go multichannel - I was still skeptical though and didn't want to spend a ton. I narrowed it to the AM-9080 and a Rotel RB-985. Ended up finding a great deal on the 9080 ($440 shipped essentially new in box). What a beast! I also picked up 2 pair of DH Labs SilverSonic BL-1 Series II cables to run from CD to 3802 and from 3802 to amp for the mains. I used the Newcastle cables for the other connections. Prior to it's arrival I spent a lot of time listening to different music to get really familiar with the Denon's sound, and I really did like the way it sounds.
Now, however, after adding the amp - it's as though before I was listening in black and white and now I'm listening in color. The realism and depth of the sound is just fantastic. It also seems like the bass and midrange have just bloomed - and the highs aren't as bright. I listened to Dave Matthews last night with my jaw just agape....I've heard people say before that they "heard things they never heard before" and thought it was a bunch of crap. Well, I REALLY did hear stuff I never heard before. The bass line was awesome, you could hear details like fingers on strings that I had never heard before and the flute, violin and cymbals - oh my!!... very real. Made me do this ----> :D
So, I just wanted to thank the forum for lightening my wallet and convincing me to add the amp - I don't regret it even remotely - EVERYTHING sounds better, even TV now. WOW. By the way, I've got three channels of the amp doing the mains and center, the other two are for the multi-room outputs to the patio, the 3802 still powers the side and rear surrounds. Did I mention this thing sounds great?!!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Congratulations on your purchase, Brian. Your comments sound almost identical to mine when I added an AM-9080 to my system last month.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
My wife hates this hobby, but even she admitted how much more detailed the sound was when I added an Acurus A125X5 to my system.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Brian,
I listened to Dave Matthews last night with my jaw just agape...
Oh, I more than understand. Let's put it this way...my neighbors really do not enjoy the opening drum part of "Say Goodbye" as much as I do!
I added a stereo Odyssey Stratos to my Denon 3802 not too long ago and it open my ears to a whole new world of audio. I can easily say that it was my best audio/HT purchase. Now, you need to pick up a nice CD player and you'll be set. There's plenty of goodies over at Audiogon to choose from as far as CDPs go.
Enjoy!!!

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

Say goodbye is exactly what I was listening to jaw open and staring in awe. That sounds SOOOO awesome. The violin in that song I had never really heard before - now it's just floating there - really unreal! That's one of - if not the - favorite DMB tunes.

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Can I do this with my 2802?Or am I limited to only using an amp for my two back surrounds? Thanks!

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Anytime you want to piss off your wife, we're here to help.
:)

Salvador

Second Unit
I added a stereo Odyssey Stratos to my Denon 3802 not too long ago and it open my ears to a whole new world of audio.
Ron, what speakers do you have? I also have a 3802 matched with Studio 20's. During our Toronto home theater meet we connected a Sunfire Cinema grand amp to my studio 20's and used the 3802 as a preamp. During the 20 mins of listening that occurred with the amp, i was surprisingly not impressed (neither were the other people in there). I noticed that it had a little more impact but it wasn't like an epiphanic experience of some sort. Perhaps we didn't do enough critical listening but i'm still intrigued with all this amp talk, especially with the Odyssey Statos. I might haggle one of the local dealers here to let me home audition one of their two-channel amps. I really want to see what these Studio 20's are capable of.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I added a Carver AV-705X amp to my system night before last...biamping the Monitor 7's...WOW!! (Temporarily)
I thought they sounded great before, what an improvement in sound presence. My wife couldn't believe the improvement.
I can't wait to show it off to my friends. I am going to reorganize my rack today, so I went out last night and bought a Monster HTS5000 power conditioner to add to the system.
I WISH I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT A SEPARATE AMP YEARS AGO, BEST BANG FOR MY BUCK SO FAR...$550 FOR USED CARVER AMP!!:)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Salvador,

I running Axiom M50 floorstanders from my Stratos. I was originally using a Panny RP-91 DVD player as my source, but when I discovered that it can't play gold CDs, I got pissed and picked a Musical Fidelity CD player from a guy off of Audiogon. Using the MF as the source upped the ante that much more. I mean, don't get me wrong, the Axiom/Stratos combo sounded sweet using the Panny, but the MF smokes it. With either source, the Stratos gave me the wide soundstage, depth, imaging and the low-end slam that I was looking for in a stereo amp. Not bad for odering sight unseen/unheard off of the Internet! I've had some good luck that way (I did the same with the Axioms).

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Two weeks ago I bought a new Anthem MCA-5 for $900 and connected it to my Yamaha RX-V995. I was also a skeptic, but now I'm a believer. After a recalibration of my speaker levels, I'm watching all my movies and listening to all my CDs again. :emoji_thumbsup:

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Brian,
You do realize, of course, that your journey has just begun, right?
:laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks