You all talked me into adding an amp - THANKS!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Treinen, May 9, 2002.

1. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

Well, I went out and bought something else I didn't know I needed based on reading this forum. My wife is gonna kill me... I picked up a Newcastle AM-9080 after the many threads about adding an amp &/or separates on here over the last month. I was finally able to Wire everything last night and play around a little bit. The results - in a word - WOW! Thanks for the reccomendation - this is a huge improvement.
    I upgraded to a Denon 3802 in January. Very happy with the results - really a great receiver. I "thought" everything sounded great - until I start reading all the posts about adding an amp or separates. Years ago I stared out with separates for stereo - B&K ST202 and a sweet Superphon preamp. Enjoyed the sound. Now, though for 5.1 & 7.1 I figured a receiver was plenty. Ohhhhhh, was I wrong. I started snooping audiogon and ebay for amps and quickly decided I wanted to go multichannel - I was still skeptical though and didn't want to spend a ton. I narrowed it to the AM-9080 and a Rotel RB-985. Ended up finding a great deal on the 9080 ($440 shipped essentially new in box). What a beast! I also picked up 2 pair of DH Labs SilverSonic BL-1 Series II cables to run from CD to 3802 and from 3802 to amp for the mains. I used the Newcastle cables for the other connections. Prior to it's arrival I spent a lot of time listening to different music to get really familiar with the Denon's sound, and I really did like the way it sounds.
    Now, however, after adding the amp - it's as though before I was listening in black and white and now I'm listening in color. The realism and depth of the sound is just fantastic. It also seems like the bass and midrange have just bloomed - and the highs aren't as bright. I listened to Dave Matthews last night with my jaw just agape....I've heard people say before that they "heard things they never heard before" and thought it was a bunch of crap. Well, I REALLY did hear stuff I never heard before. The bass line was awesome, you could hear details like fingers on strings that I had never heard before and the flute, violin and cymbals - oh my!!... very real. Made me do this ----> [​IMG]
    So, I just wanted to thank the forum for lightening my wallet and convincing me to add the amp - I don't regret it even remotely - EVERYTHING sounds better, even TV now. WOW. By the way, I've got three channels of the amp doing the mains and center, the other two are for the multi-room outputs to the patio, the 3802 still powers the side and rear surrounds. Did I mention this thing sounds great?!!

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Congratulations on your purchase, Brian. Your comments sound almost identical to mine when I added an AM-9080 to my system last month.

3. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

My wife hates this hobby, but even she admitted how much more detailed the sound was when I added an Acurus A125X5 to my system.

4. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

I also love my Acurus A125x5. Greatest audio bargain I've ever had.

5. Dennis T

Dennis T Extra

Hey Brian,
    Glad your loving the amp. It is a beast....isn't it[​IMG]

6. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Brian,

7. Brian Treinen

Ron,

Say goodbye is exactly what I was listening to jaw open and staring in awe. That sounds SOOOO awesome. The violin in that song I had never really heard before - now it's just floating there - really unreal! That's one of - if not the - favorite DMB tunes.

8. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

Can I do this with my 2802?Or am I limited to only using an amp for my two back surrounds? Thanks!

9. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Anytime you want to piss off your wife, we're here to help.
    [​IMG]

10. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Brian,
    welcome to the club bro[​IMG]

11. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Grady, I'm not familiar w/ the Denon 2802, but I'm sure that it has preamp out for all channels.

12. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

13. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

I added a Carver AV-705X amp to my system night before last...biamping the Monitor 7's...WOW!! (Temporarily)
    I thought they sounded great before, what an improvement in sound presence. My wife couldn't believe the improvement.
    I can't wait to show it off to my friends. I am going to reorganize my rack today, so I went out last night and bought a Monster HTS5000 power conditioner to add to the system.
    I WISH I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT A SEPARATE AMP YEARS AGO, BEST BANG FOR MY BUCK SO FAR...$550 FOR USED CARVER AMP!![​IMG]

14. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Salvador,

I running Axiom M50 floorstanders from my Stratos. I was originally using a Panny RP-91 DVD player as my source, but when I discovered that it can't play gold CDs, I got pissed and picked a Musical Fidelity CD player from a guy off of Audiogon. Using the MF as the source upped the ante that much more. I mean, don't get me wrong, the Axiom/Stratos combo sounded sweet using the Panny, but the MF smokes it. With either source, the Stratos gave me the wide soundstage, depth, imaging and the low-end slam that I was looking for in a stereo amp. Not bad for odering sight unseen/unheard off of the Internet! I've had some good luck that way (I did the same with the Axioms).

15. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Welcome back to the world of Separates!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Two weeks ago I bought a new Anthem MCA-5 for $900 and connected it to my Yamaha RX-V995. I was also a skeptic, but now I'm a believer. After a recalibration of my speaker levels, I'm watching all my movies and listening to all my CDs again. [​IMG]

17. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Brian,
    You do realize, of course, that your journey has just begun, right?
    [​IMG]

18. Brian Treinen