What's new

Yard Sale. Appropriate price for VHS? (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I have a bag full of VHS editions of popular films. I've replaced them all for DVD and intend to dispose of them at a yard sale this coming weekend. What is an appropriate price per film?

For example: Batman, Indiana Jones, Star Trek. Some are Widescreen, all are VHS.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
If it were my garage sale I'd price them at $0.50 . At $1.00 you might get rid of one or two but if they're dirt cheap you might get lucky and find somebody willing to take the whole bag.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Man, when I moved cross country a year ago I threw away a hundred or so VHS tapes, the thought of the (probably) thousand bucks I just tossed in the trash was depressing :frowning:

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with the $0.50 price tag. With new VHS titles going for $5.00 or less most places, people are looking for really cheap stuff at a garage sales. I found with my previous garage sales adventures that even though an item is a very good price, people are looking for out right steals when it comes to garage sales.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I agree with the 50cent price tag. Remember, the people who come to your garage sale want a fantastic bargain while you want to get rid of junk you don't want. So, price accordingly :)

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
The same thing happened to me years ago. I donated a lot of it to the Salvation Army and got the tax write off instead.

Todd K

Second Unit
Does anyplace around you (like a used video/cd store) take used VHS? Last year I traded in a bunch of used VHS (similar to titles you mention) and I could get raw cash or store credit (store credit value was slightly higher). They sold new titles there, too, so I was able to trade in worthless used VHS for new useful DVDs.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I agree about checking with a used shop that takes VHS tapes. I'm fortunate to have a place in town that usually gives me a buck or two for tapes. I imagine this will adjust accordingly over time. I've managed to pick up some great DVDs there too - like 5th Element and Gattaca Superbits!

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
Last year we put about 50 VHS tapes in my sisters garage sale and we put stickers on them for $2 and $3 and every tape sold excpet for The Commitments tape and most of them sold on Thursday and Friday.

I would try first to get that much for them, but maybe on Saturday and Sunday do a half price sale for what is not sold.

Paul

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Ahhh... poor, poor VHS. It fought valiantly against Beta, only to be left to rot in a rummage sale box. :weep:

My in-laws keep bringing me over their VHS tapes for me to watch. I haven't got the heart to tell them I don't want to watch their low-picture-quality videos. Besides, they're all crime dramas which isn't much my bag either. So, I have a huge stack of VHS tapes sitting next to my TV making me feel guilty.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I was able to sell off my last few VHS tapes on Half.com earlier this year for very decent prices. As long as they aren't ex-rentals and come in the original box you should be able to make at least a few bucks on each one.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
how about donating them instead? i'm guessing .50 a pop won't make or break ya? ;)

maybe some kid-friendly titles could go to a school, more adult titles to homeless shelters, salvation army, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks