What's new

Yamaha Z1 vs. DSP-A1 (1 Viewer)

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't seen any threads on Yamaha's new flagship receiver - the Z1. I own a DSP-A1, an while I HAVE listened to the Z1 at the local dealer (unfortunately not properly set-up), they didn't have a used A1 to do an A/B comparison. They won't lend their demo unit, and the few units they have received were all pre-sold. (It seems Yamaha can't build them fast enough.)

Has anyone compared these two units with everything else being equal?

Thomas J. Coyle III

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jamie
The November issue of Home Theater magazine did a review of the Yamaha RX-Z1. During the review they kept comparing the Z1 to the Denon and Pioneer flagship models so you might want to check out the article. I presently own a RX-V3200 and like it very much. However, I think that I might consider buying the Outlaw 950 and their new 7100 amp the next time that I upgrade.
Regards,
TCIII

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
Thomas:

Thanks for your reply! I read the article on the RX-Z1, however, I'm looking for someone who has had the opportunity to directly compare both units (A1 and Z1)under similar conditions.

I'm somewhat hooked with Yamaha's front effects channels since I've had the 2070, 3090 and the A1, and I enjoy the sound enhancement on movies.

Your choice for upgrades is tops, as I have to say that the Outlaw combo is probably the best value in the market right now.
Outlaw amps sound almost identical to ATI amps, and I have heard ATI at the local dealer since they came out (years ago)and at friens systems and sound VERY good! The 950 is just getting rave reviews from owners, and what a price!

I know I'm out of luck here ay HTF, since 70% of the members have Denon, 20% own Pioneer, 4% B&K, 2% HK, 2% Anthem and Outlaw, 1.5% Sony, .4% other and .1% Yamaha.
(nice statistics, just made them up, and probably not far from reality...)

-Jaime

Ted Ross

Second Unit
I have the Z1 -I love it! I cant compare is to the DSPA1, though. I also love the front effects channels. I dont listen to any DVD without using one of the DSP modes(namely spectacle)When I went searching for a new receiver I had a $2500 budget. I was also looking at separates, but after thorough testing I decided that the Z1 would fit my bill for $2500. The only separate combos that sounded better than the Z1 were in the $5000 range.

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
Ted:

Thanks for your post. Those front effects on the Yamaha are addictive!

-Jaime

Simon C-R

Auditioning
Ive had a A1 and now own a Z1,so to put it simply,the Z1 is everything and more than the A1.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks