What's new
World Wide Stereo

Yamaha RX V800 (1 Viewer)

Aaron_*P

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking into getting a Yamaha RX V800 receiver for $405, for my home theater. I would be using it to drive definitive tech pro cinema 80 speakers. This seems like a good match and opinions would be greatly appreciated. This audio system will complement and Infocus ScreenPlay 7200 projector (and no I do not have the money for this projector, just met someone at a party who's an infocus dealer and is giving us a few thousand off;) )Its in a medium sized room. O and merry christmas and happy chanukah to all!

728x90

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Aaron,

One problem with buying HT gear for price alone is the later buyer’s remorse and upgrade itch, like “why didn’t I get…”

I got the RXV-800 about 3 yrs ago when I walked into Good Guys and found it “open box” for $600.

Mechanically/electrically, it’s a fine receiver with most of Yamaha’s bells n whistles (DSP programs; more optical inputs than one wud ever use) and more than enough output power at 100wpc x 5. Like I say, it’s no slouch and runs coolish (I make sure it has 4-6 inches of airspace above it in my cabinet shelf as a general rule.)

Trouble is, 3 yrs ago HT gear was making several major shifts, and the 800 just misses these points:

·5-channel vs. today’s more common six or 6.1 DVD and speaker format
·Expanded 50MHz component video bandwidth in newer rcvr models to handle HDTV signals thru the rcvr to the TV monitor/projector
·800 stops at “old” Dolby ProLogic, while all new rcvrs include the better ProLogic II (to expand rear spkr performance when playing 2-chl material including TV audio) and some now have PLIIx for 7-chl setups.

Now, I don’t have room for 6.1 and I’m not yet using component video, so I don’t actually miss not having these expanded features. Still, the 800 isnt future proof!

As an aside, today I am bypassing the Yamaha's internal amplifiers since I succumbed to getting a 180wpc x 5 external power amplifier.

Today, I wud buy the Yamaha RXV-1400 for the updated capabilities and mainly for the new microphone-based automatic speaker calibration. I’m quite handy with a set-up tones disk and sound-pressure meter, but these things can take hours sometimes.

bill

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
You can find last year's model rx-v1300 for a little more than the 800 and come out way ahead. Shop around a little.

Aaron_*P

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks so much for the help and detailed response. If I only have 5.1 Speakers is there any reason to get 6.1 or 7.1 channel sound though? I am not planning any future upgrades anytime soon as I go off to college in four years, and this system will be fine for my parents for many years to come. Any opinions on the Yamaha HTR-5460, that's another receiver I've been looking at?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks