What's new

yamaha rx-v1200 vs denon avr-2802 (1 Viewer)

ScottyB

Auditioning
I am going to buy one or the other this weekend. I have some old but excellent Klipsh Kg4 mains with ss-1 surronds and sc1 center. I will probably add an SVS sub soon. I listen to music as much as watching movies. Does anybody have any advice on which to buy?:)

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Leaving any feature differences out of the equation (there really aren't many)...just dealing with sound...The older Yamaha's were bright, the newer ones less so. If you don't like this trait, it would behoove you to listen to the 1200 before buying to see for yourself if things have appreciably changed. The Denon sound is a known quantity with a known quality and the 2802 is, I believe, less expensive. If you like tons of DSP's and Digi-inputs along with a better remote, Yammie is the one. Both makers have many loyal buyers. For the money, I would take the Denon.

My $.02

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
i demod both receivers extensively, along with the yam. 2200 and denon 3802. all of them are fantastic receivers. i would but the 2802 last though. it sounded almost too warm to me. a lot of the highs were non-existent. could hardly hear the cymbals in music. (we love jazz) the 1200 sounded fantastic. it was not bright at all. (at least compared to older yamies. the denon 3802 sounded fantastic. much fuller than the 2802 and the yam 2200 sounded equally as good. i decided to go with the 2200. it sounded just a litle better and for ht it sounded a little more dynamic to me. all of these receivers are nop notch quality though and great receivers. try them with your speakers and let your ears be the judge. best of luck to you.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Denon and Klipsch are a perfect match. I have a 2802 with Klipsch Synergy. I've never had any trouble hearing cymbals or highs in any music. If you can, demo both receivers with Klipsch speakers and see which one sounds best to you. Take your own demo material with you.

Angelo_c

Auditioning
Any other opinions from owners or ppl who have demoed em...

(Yam 1200 and the Denon 2802)

As my decision are based upon these tewo great recievers.

Thanks

ScottyB

Auditioning
Hey guys, Thanks for your help and by the way I realized I should have searched this topic more since there are several threads already out there. To newbie's like myself do not be too specific in your search. I was actually using the entire model # (denon avr-2802) and getting nothing. Denon 2802 was much better..... But anyway, I went to my local dealer Sunday to make the big buy. I basically told my saleman that I have narrowed it down to the two receivers and I am going to get the one that sounds best. And for that matter he was nice enough to bring the Denon into the same room as the Yammy. By the way, my old receiver is a Yammy and have been extremely pleased with it and bragging about it for years. Well bottom line was that I thought the Denon was going to sound better or it was going to be close or that the Yammy was going to be too bright. I knew since I was a previous owner that ties would probably go to Yammy. Well, it wasn't that tough at all. After switching receivers only a couple of times the Yamaha was noticeably better sounding. It was clean and everything stood out without being too bright. It was fuller and produced the same dbs at lower volumes. I am extremely happy with it now and I am trying to figure it out. Well that is my .02 worth. I hope this helps anybody that has been stressing like me. Like everybody has said, sound is a matter of preference. You have to let your own ears be the judge.

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
So scotty you ended up with the 1200? if you dont mind.. what did you pay for it.. the best price i have found is $704 shipped direct to me from yamaha.

thanks!

jim

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
I have a Yamaha RX-V1200 too and love it. I'm curious, what loudspeakers were hooked up to the 1200 when you heard it?

-JNS

ScottyB

Auditioning
I got the 1200 for $800 at an authourized dealer.Since I also bought a pair of Klipsch ss1 and center sc1 they gave me a good cut on them. I payed $210 for the center and $165 each for the surrounds before tax. Jim I had no idea you could get it for that price straight from Yamaha. (Excellent work)The loud speakers I am using are Klipsch Kg4s. I have had them for 12 years and they still sound great. I can't wait to get a pro scan DVD and sit back and experience!;)

ScottyB

Auditioning
Jagan I had the closest match of Klipsch I have at home hooked up to them at the dealer to pick my receiver.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I also bought the V1200 over the weekend, and I love it. It turned my old Kenwood Home Theater In A Box speakers into something passable, until I decide to upgrade them as well.

Very happy with it.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If your choice has unexpected problems and you end up dealing with the companies directly, you will find Yamaha’s customer service to be better. Denon’s U.S. headquarters has the largest assemblage of apathetic idiots on the East Coast.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ScottyB

Auditioning
Anybody recommend a good sub for my setup?
Yamaha 1200
Klipsch KG4 sc1 ss1 surrrond
Thanks Scott;)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Link Removed $549 (Plus Shipping)
Special Introductory Prices for a Limited Time Only!
Shipping Expected Late March 2002.
o 320 watts RMS
o 25 Hz tuning point
o +/- 3 dB 25 Hz-120 Hz
o 31" tall, 16" in diameter
SVS PCi Features:
o SVS designed, full-featured 320 watt Bash (R) digital switching amp
o Flush-mount amp configuration
o Custom US built SVS long throw 12" driver
o Computer Assisted Design (CAD) cylindrical enclosure
o Compliant disk floor mounts and low center of gravity
o Precision tuned high-flow ports
o Exclusive SVS down-firing woofer/base-plate assembly
o Resonance free, protective top port grill
o New 16" ultra high-strength custom drawn, polymer wrapped, enclosure tubing
o CNC'd and cold laminated, 1.5" black birch end-caps
o Custom black fabric finish
Tom Vodhanel “Sub-human” Designer & Founder
Ron Stimpson Co-founder
Customer Service unsurpassed!
Both Tom and Ron participates @ HT Forum and HT SVS "SPot"! SV Subwoofers.
SVS pci info is here!!! HT Forum discussion.
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks