What's new

Denon 2802 vs Onkyo 696 vs Yamaha 1200 -- Help!?! (1 Viewer)

Jeff W

Auditioning
I am looking for an A/V receiver for a basement home theater setup. I want something in the under $700 range to pair up with a set of Atlantic Technology System 170 speakers. I also want component switching, 6.1 decoding, and Pro Logic II.

That said I have been looking at the Denon AVR-2802, the Onkyo TX-DS696, and the Yamaha RX-V1200. I currently have a Denon A/V receiver, a Yamaha A/V receiver and older model Pro Logic Receiver. One of the first component stereos I ever bought was Onkyo, and that receiver is still working today. I have been happy with all three brands.

Bottom line is I have read the reviews, looked at the products, and now I would like to get your recommendations on the best receiver for me. I have read the various forum threads on these receivers, but I would like a direct head-to-head comparison of the three.

Thanks!

Joe Bauman

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, I used a Denon 2800 for a month or so but thought it sounded really flat for music. I got rid of it. I then bought a Yamaha 995. This 995 was great for music and movies but after a couple of years I got rid of it because I wanted the new features, like DLP2, in the new Yamahas. I ended up purchasing a Yamaha 2200. This unit is great for movies but really lacked for music. I much prefered the 995 for music and wished I never got rid of it. I recently got rid of the 2200 and am attempting to move to separates. Years ago I had an Onkyo and loved it but that was before HT.

Jeff W

Auditioning
Thanks Joe. I should add that this receiver will be used only for home theater, not music. I will have an older receiver connected to in-ceiling speakers for music.

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
Damn Joe, you sounds like you're waiting for godot.

Get into separates ASAP. In this class, you'll never be happy with middle range receivers. They are full of compromises no matter how much the gullible and unknowledgeable want to think otherwise.

If you seriously don't care about music (which is odd as most films have a score AFAIK :) buy for features, warranty, user base, ease of use etc. Isn't that simple?

The above issues would count out the Denon.

T.

Glen_L

Stunt Coordinator
The Onkyo 696 does not have any 6.1 decoding which you listed as a requirement, so it's out as well, unless you want to spring for the 797, which costs significantly more.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
You cannot get into separates for that money, or anywhere close. Get the Denon if you want a 6.1 system, or else get the Onkyo if you don't care. The Onkyo has a better interface. Both receivers have pre-outs so you can buy an amp later if you want one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks