Yamaha DVD-S657T vs Pioneer 588A? Budegt ALL REGION dvd players with toys...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris PC, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Both ALL REGION dvd/audio SACD divx players. I am not sure but I suspect the Yamaha isn't region free as is, but must be hacked (although it is advertised as PAL/NTSC compatable). Also, somebody here mentioned that the Yamaha is a re-branded Philips DVP720SA. What does that mean in terms of quality etc? No burr brown DAC's?

What are people's opinion of these two players? I am looking for an ALL REGION dvd player and figure these models also have SACD and DVD audio so why not check them out.

thanx for any feedback,

[​IMG]

2. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    i have the 588. it's awesome with the... proper firmware.

re: all region. most DVD players sold through retail or proper channels will be to their region, in both of our cases, it'll be region1. i know the 588 didn't ship with region free because i have Nausicaa DVD from Japan and that didn't work.

re: burr brown, DAC, 99% of ya'll won't be able to tell the diff.

re: opinions. most people dunno about this player that can. on top of SACD (converted to PCM BTW), DVD Audio MLP, it can also play DIVX/XVID which is awesome!!! wma&mp3 are also a plus. the only thing it can't do is output 720p or 1080i cause there are divx files that are very high res=).

besides, for as little as $130 shipped to your house, it't not bad a deal @all!

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Yeah, its a good player. ALL REGION versions are also available too. I will keep this player in mind, but am looking more at a Yamaha 5 disc changer I found for a good price locally.

thanx for the feedback,

[​IMG]

4. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    @those prices, you can buy a 588 AND that yamaha, why compromise? get both! =).

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Yeah, maybe. I don't think I will need both. The Yamaha does everything. I will see how the Yamaha does.

6. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    i don't think it does divx =).