What's new

Xbox vs. PS2 games (1 Viewer)

DavidAM

Second Unit
I need help deciding if I should buy the Xbox or PS2. I mainly like racing games, a few sports games, maybe a RPG here and there, but mostly racing games. I know the Xbox is new so there's not alot of games currently available, but how does the future of xbox games look? Will they have a good variety like the PS2 has? I want the Xbox because it has more features, but I think I should get the PS2 because they already have a bunch of games that I want. Will the xbox eventually offer all the games the PS2 has? For all you PS2 owners, assuming you were in the market for either system, do you think you'd go with the xbox or the PS2 and why? And thanks for the help guys.

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Do the right thing and get both.
wink.gif

They both offer games that are must have editions.
Choose one over the other and you will always miss out on some great titles.
This goes with movies also.
One needs a DVD player and Laserdisc player to enjoy everything that is available in the feild of HomeTheater
Entertainment.
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
*Outdated pictures due to recent upgrades!

DavidAM

Second Unit
LOL....getting both is out of the question so I'm gonna have to pick between the two. Feed me some info and help me decide!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
David, if you're a fan of Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy, you're probably better off with a PS2. MGS is PS2 exclusive I believe, but I'm hearing conflicting reports about the FF franchise. Who knows? Additionally, the PS2 has been out for a year, and has a relatively well-rounded set of games...at least a few in every game genre.
If you're a fan of fighting games, like Dead or Alive or Street Fighter, either machine would be fine.
If you're a fan of Mario Brothers, or other "kiddie" games, then get a Nintendo Gamecube. Also, Nintendo tends to have the "wacky" games.
If you're a fan of the Sega Dreamcast, get an Xbox. Sega will be developing new games based on familiar franchises, including their Sports series. Also, other Dreamcast game developers are flocking to the Xbox (Metropolis Street Racer is reincarnated as Project Gotham Racing, with additional features). Jet Grind Radio's sequel will be Jet Set Radio Future.
If you're a fan of PC games, get an Xbox...you'll likely see Unreal Championship, Malice the Kat, Project Ego, and other games made by PC developers. And of course there is Halo.
I personnally like the PC-type games myself, plus I like the Dreamcast games, so I chose the Xbox. Your tastes are probably different. You might be better off playing each system from the gaming kiosks at your local gaming/electronics store.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Since you mentioned racing games and some RPGs, sounds like the PS2 is your best bet...Metal Gear Solid 2 (RPG-like I guess) and Gran Turismo 3 are considered the best in the PS2 lineup of games. And they are available now.
The Xbox doesn't have an RPG game out yet. Project Gotham Racing is an excellent racer, but quite different from the other racers in the market. PGR is also quite difficult and that can be a real turnoff if you look the Daytona-style racers.

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I read a story on Gamespot that Metal Gear Solid was coming to XBox. I will try to find the link.
I chose the xbox, because I have faith that microsoft will ensure great games get developed for it....by whatever means necessary :)
Halo is pretty good...madden 2002 is great but not exclusive... Gotham Racing is awesome, but no GT3...
decisions decisions.

James Nguyen

Second Unit
metal gear solid is coming to xbox as "Metal Gear Solid X".
Konami has yet to announce definitively (last I checked, this may have changed in the past few weeks) whether it's
a) a remake of MGS 1 w/ improved graphics
b) a remake of MGS 2 w/ improved graphics
c) an extended version of MGS 2 w/ improved graphics, incorporating some of the plot form 1
d) a completely new MGS game
all have been rumored before, no one seems to have real answers....but at the very least, you know that some form of incarnation of solid snake is coming to the xbox :) and that is a very good thing.

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
Well, considering that Sony just bought a significant portion of Square, I wouldn't bet on Square being multi-platform any time in the future. Capcom has announced that the Resident Evil series will be exclusive to Game Cube going forward, including remakes of the original games. Between those two franchises, Japan is basically locked down between those two systems. Add to that the fact that Virtua Fighter 4 is coming to PS2, and you can already see which system will win in Japan. Winning Japan has usually meant winning the console war, since most of the original content for consoles comes from Japan. I just bought an XBox to go along with my PS2, and I'll be picking up a Game Cube shortly. If I could only have one system, and I was using games as the benchmark, it would be a PS2. It's likely to see far more support worldwide then either the XBox or the Game Cube. This could all change in a year, though, the industry is like that. But, the PS2 is still less of a gamble than the XBox at this point. Of course, nothing comes close to Halo in 5.1, not even MGS2.

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
Well, Square can really take any game they want multi-platform and Sony won't care... except Final Fantasy. Any FF game will be strictly PS2 if Sony has anything to say about it. That series sells millions of copies day one in Japan and is the single greatest ace in the hole Sony has. The Saturn and PSX were neck and neck in Japan until Square announced that FF would be available exclusively for the PSX. PS2 sales have largely been driven in Japan by the promise of new FF games (and DVD playback). To lose control of that exclusive would be all but unthinkable. So far as I know, Square has been planning their online versions of Final Fantasy to take advantage of Sony's gaming network and no one else's.

Frederick

Second Unit
Man, deciding on ONE system right now is going to be tuff. I have the PS2 and the Gamecube. If I had to chose between the PS2 and the X-Box, I'd go with the PS2. Now, I know that someone will think I'm being partial towards the PS2 because I own one (I am getting an X-Box, by the way, just not right now), but that isn't the case at all. If we're going strictly on quantity, then the PS2 wins hands-down. Having a year head-start helps big-time. Not to mention backwards-compatibility, but personally I can't remember ever actually playing a PS1 game on my PS2 ...

There's a list of games that are coming out for the `Box somewhere. Look it up. See if anything moves you. Do the same for the PS2. For what it's worth, I just read the newest edition of Next Generation, and they weighed the pro's and con's of all three systems. They chose the PS2. Of course, it's just one man's (or however may participated)opinion, but in reality, what you're going to get here is just about the same ... a bunch of "One Man's Opinion". Except some of us need to justify our purchases, so we tend to defend one and bash the other. Look up a game list. Check out a few review sites/mags scores on games that interest you. Whatever you do, whichever you chose, you're going to have a blast! Good luck ...

Freddy C.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Square has already said that the series is PS2 exclusive, but they are planning to release FFXI on PC, PS2, and possibly X-Box and GameCube. Other than that, PS2 exclusive.

If I had to choose between PS2 and XB, I would go with PS2. It has the most games right now and there are a lot of good ones. Graphics are good things, but once you get past them, the game has to actually be good, and the PS2 has already delivered that way several times.

James Nguyen

Second Unit
Put it this way, do you want Bill Gates to have more of your money????
This is the kind of logic in choosing a video game platform that just astounds me. I realize the antagonism toward Microsoft runs strong in some. I also realize that regardless of anything I say, or more importantly, regardless of anything they do, that just simply isn't going to change. However, to choose what console you opt to buy based on whether or not Bill Gates was involved seems a tad overboard in my opinion.
Some may feel me to be without principles I'm sure, but oh well. Damn principles, I'm rather enjoying my XBox and Halo/Amped/DOA3 at the moment. :D Regardless of how you may feel about MS or the Xbox, I find it difficult to at least not acknowledge that the xbox, regardless of its future market success or failure, has forever changed the face of console gaming.
The introduction of realtime 5.1, use of the harddrive for performance caching (and custom soundtracks, downloadable extras,etc.), and built in support for broadband are all things I'd like to see in all future systems. They're just great things to have.
That said, take a good long look at what games you like to play most, and find the system that offers you the most in that department. In the end, specs mean jack, it all boils down to the game. If you've gotta choose, you've gotta choose. Ideally, try to pick up several....there's gonna be gems on all the systems.

David Proud

Stunt Coordinator
Get the Xbox.

There will be tons of games for the xbox, nobody has mentioned a very valid point. The xbox rocks the ps2 in hardware, has a built in ethernet port for broadband gaming, and a hard disk for on the fly saving as you reach checkpoints and new levels in games. Last but not least the most important reason to get an xbox is Directx. A developer would much rather develope a game for the xbox v/s the ps2 b/c the ps2 is a pain to program for. With directx in place pc games will port over to xbox and vice versa.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
David,
If you have a HDTV, then its the XBOX, no question. The higher resolutions really add to the games, IMO. If you don't, then its a much harder question. 2 months ago, the PS2 library was pretty poor, but there has been some great games lately, such as Grand Theft Auto 3.
Either console is a winner, IMO!
-Dave

DavidAM

Second Unit
Well guys, I still haven't made up my mind, but I'm leaning towards the Xbox. I won't be buying 10 games a month so they have enough now to hold me off till they really start pumping out some good titles 6 months or a year from now. I was just trying to get a feel for what they will eventually be coming out with and it seems like I will enjoy the xbox more a year from now. The games are what counts really. You can have a killer machine but if the games suck, then the machine will suck. That's why I am worried about what games will eventually be available. Putting that off to the side and comparing console vs. console, the xbox just stomps the PS2 with the harddrive, 5.1DD, HDTV, ethernet, etc. All that for $300. I have a surround sound system and will soon have an HDTV widescreen so I'm looking at all those things as deciding factors too. The xbox just has more bang for the buck and if the games are good a year from now, then I will be a really happy camper!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Dave I agree with James - the XBox has set a new standard in gaming. Of all the features listed gaming in realtime 5.1 is the main one. When games start supporting the higher resolutions in 16:9 then it becomes a whole new ball game!

DavidAM

Second Unit
It just seems like the xbox is ready for the future whereas the PS2 is more about today. Does that sound about right?

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
That's a fair assessment, David. But always remember, the future is always uncertain and fraught with danger. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks