What's new

XBox and using a computer monitor (1 Viewer)

Neal_C

Second Unit
Well, my neighbor has a 21" CRT monitor that he wasn't using, so we thought it would be nice if when we played at his house, I could hook up to the monitor instead of his standby 13" TV (yes, we could use a bigger tv, but not without transporting one from my house or taking a tv from his wife :) )

He was going to buy the VGA adaptor, but I told him to hold off and we would see if I could get what I have to work. I have the HD pack. So I pulled it off my tv and got out my component to VGA breakout cable that I used when I was thinking about getting an X1 projector (I ran component out of my dvd player to vga in on the X1).

So we plugged the HD pack into the Xbox, plugged the component cable end into the HD pack and plugged the VGA end into the monitor. We turned everything on and we got a picture, but it is completely saturated in green (it basically looks like you are using night vision on Rainbox Six all the time, even the menus). I tried switching the cables around, but if the green component cable isn't plugged into the green plug on the HD pack, the monitor won't sync and you get no picture. I can unplug red and blue, but green has to stay in green.

Anyone have thoughts? Shouldn't this work? Is there something we are missing?

Thanks,

Neal

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i hear that the only way for you to accomplish that is for you to put a modchip in the xbox. i may be wrong, but of course, according to the rules, i have to stop here. but remember, i could be wrong :)

CJ

Neal_C

Second Unit
That is interesting. No prob on modchip talk, I have done my own research in that area :)

I thought there was a vga adaptor either made by a 3rd party of MS, but I guess I will have to check on that.

Anyone else?

Thanks,

Neal

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
funny, i just installed my modchip last week. now that i think of it, i remember seeing a link for some kind of adapter, but i'm not sure if you could use it with a stock xbox or not. i'll try to find the link, but i didnt pay much attention to it at the time.

CJ

Shawn_Z

Auditioning
hmmm. cannot posts links yet.

Try this one. www(dot)x2vga(dot)com

hope that is not against the rules. :frowning:

Neal_C

Second Unit
The X2VGA does look pretty good, but they sure are proud of them. I had just found an article over at teamxbox about the VD-Z3.

Thanks guys. Not sure if we will decide to spend the ~50 bucks or not, but atleast now I know there are options out there.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I would go for the VD-Z3. Someone on this forum has both it and the X2VGA and he said the Z3 it has better image quality. It's also more versatile and cheaper!

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
I'm using the Key Digital Systems XBlaster which gives me great results. Cost me about 99$ when I bought it about a yr or so ago. I can also use my GC with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks