X-Box launch in Japan -sucess or failure: your predictions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Oneil, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

With the launch of the X-Box in Japan looming ever closer, What are everyones feelings about how well this American born and bred console will fare with the Japanese gamers?
    I just pulled some interesting information from www.xboxgamers.com regarding Amazon.com Japan's latest pre-order status:

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

3. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

A little Amazon/Microsoft hype never hurts, especially when it comes to launch time.

However, I think the actual sales figures will be more down to earth, with Japanese-based titles leading the pack (like DOA3, Onimusha, and Sega's tremendous lineup).

Sega's support is MS's ace in the hole.

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    I don't know anything about the Japanese video game market but I would be sceptical of any top 100 sales chart that includes an X Box power cord, doubly so in a country where the system has yet to be released. Why would anybody buy one of those?

5. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I think it will meet success there, just maybe not right away. A big problem for them must be the size of the console, all very well they're getting smaller joypads, but the machine itself is huge. Even I was shocked at its size (and I can't get one on its UK launch next month as I literally wont have the spcae to put one!)...

Sega's strong bind to the X-box is going to secure interest from the Japanese public I think.

Dan (UK)

6. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Given the demand on NCS for the thing, I'm not surprised that there are a lot of requests for the limited edition X-Box pack; numbers from an online site for a funky looking seethrough version only released in Japan in a fun of 50,000 aren't going to be a reliable guide of what the average Japanese consumer thinks of the machine.

In fact, if Amazon aren't doing something funny here then their portion of those 50,000 are basically enough to fulfil all their launch pre-orders. All of a sudden the numbers don't look very good...

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think the X-Box launch might be better than the GameCube launch simply because of more games, some of which are made by Sega. Long term, I could see MS falling behind because its a very American console in terms of games. There will be a lot of Sega and more Japanese games, but that doesn't mean they will be widely accepted. Metal Gear Solid 2 was a Japanese game that was pretty much "made" for the American market.

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Dreamcast broke all kinds of records too

Ask me a year from now, when I think PS2 will continue to crush the competition. Nintendo is pretty much dead in its homeland, but while Yamanuchi is still alive they will never give up there. So there is room for a solid #2. I look at their launch lineup, and I don't see any Japan-centric games. I don't see an RPG in their lineup, nor one in the near future. That's going to hurt MS. It's going to be up to Sega's killer softwre to keep them afloat, they'd better hope it's enough

9. DonWinzen

DonWinzen Stunt Coordinator

Actually pre-sales trends do predict success or failure accurately. Several posters' remarks demonstrate personal bias towards one console or another including those for the XBOX. The list illustrates the fact that the Japanese are reacting more favorably toward the XBOX than did Americans.

I personally cannot predict how it will do in the long run but if you look at how successful the MS machine has been in recruiting 3rd party support from traditionally Sony backed developers, you can expect good things to happen and a heavy XBOX impact in the land of the rising sun.

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

11. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I fully expect the X-Box, like most consoles, to sell out on launch day. Thats standard procedure. All I'm pointing to with my comment is that Amazon.co.jp is the last place I'd look for evidence of local popularity. They could probably sell every single Limited Edition X-Box to Americans (or Europeans for that matter) even if the Japanese didn't want it. That thing looks almost as cool as the Dev Kit does, and I've lost count of the number of threads from people wanting to import controllers.

Fundamentally, talk of success or failure of either the Box or the Cube can't be done until much later this year.

p.s. Is Biohazard really expected to be that popular then? I've never expected large preorders for software, certainly not for a remake of a title most who want it already have.

12. Kip

Kip Stunt Coordinator

13. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

A little off topic, but has anyone seen a pic of the Limeted edition translucent box? Wouldn't mind seing what it looked like...

14. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Chris, I think I saw a pic over at gamespot.com or coremagazine.com. If you can't find it, I'll try to find where it was later.

-Dan

15. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

16. Romier S

Romier S Producer

17. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

Wow ... that's a really nice looking system. I'd like to get my hands on one of those. Hell, even the keychains look cool [​IMG] ...
    Freddy C.

18. DonWinzen

BrianB, thank you for your sarcasm. And yes, the Dreamcast would have been considered one of the more successful consoles if Sega could have continued support. The amount of games available for it was impressive and the support was very good.

When the console started to die was when Sega could not continue to carry it because of the financial burden. Sony has done an excellent job ensuring the royalties were there for the games on both PS1 and PS2. MS knew it had to garner third party support for the longevity of the XBOX even though they lose money up-front each time a console goes into someones home.

So yes, the Dreamcasts' pre-sales was an indicator of success but it needs further company support to keep it going. The same thing can be said for Microsoft in Japan. If they aren't very careful, the XBOX will be a miserable failure and many Japanese XBOX owners will be disappointed.

19. BrianB

BrianB Producer

20. DonWinzen

Brian, the sad thing about the Dreamcast was that it didn't appeal to the masses the way the PS2 has. The comment I made that the indicators are there is accurate however marketing plays a huge role in the continued success. If the XBOX did not have the presales numbers that they are getting in Japan, there would not be a lot of hope for the console in that country.

That is not to say that it could start slow and gather an audience but it is unlikely. Japan is known to be against non-Japanese consumer electronics. The same can be said of American consumers (gamers). Too many fanboys that cannot appreciate other consoles for their abilities. The Dreamcast itself could have succeeded but there are numerous reasons it didn't.

I hope the PS2 continues to do well as well as the XBOX. I would hate to think that I wasted my money on either but oh well. The GameCube, I don't know. I may purchase it for my kids and I am interested in the Resident Evil series so it may find a home in my house. If it wasn't for the strenghth of Nintendo, I would seriously doubt the Gamecube would make it but it is way too early too tell.

Talk to you later.