What's new

X-box and HDTV connections (1 Viewer)

HowardA

Auditioning
X-box and HDTV

I have a Pioneer Elite TV, BK AVR307 receiver, Sony HD100 satellite, Sony ES1000 DVD, VCR with S-video. All components run into my receiver, I believe that the HD100 and DVD use component cables, thus leaving no more component inputs in the receiver (but still at least one free set of component inputs on the TV). Satellite bix and DVD set up for DTS/DD5.1

How can I hook up an X-box in HDTV mode with 5.1 sound? I would like to try out the HD mode of the X=box and run the 5.1 sound through the receiver. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? What extras do I need?

Thanks

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Howard, I don't even own the X-Box yet (next week!) but I feel I can answer your question because I have done my research.

You first need to buy the hi-def pack that allows you to hook up the X-Box with component cables and an optical connection for sound. No S-Video. What you will have to do is hook the X-Box up to your TV directly with your one set of free component inputs and then hook the optical connection up to your B&K for 5.1 sound assuming you have a free toslink optical connection open on the 307.

You will have to manually change the input on your TV to play the games (because you are not video switching) but it should work out just fine.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Yup, Evan's got it right, that's exactly what I do. Component Video directly into the TV (actually into a splitter because the Xbox is sharing an input with my satellite receiver), and sound into the receiver. One thing I wanted to clarify (even though Even said it correctly), you do need to buy the Xbox hi-def pack and a standard optical cord. The hi-def pack comes with component video cables, but not the optical cord for sound (although it does have the jack for the cord, naturally).

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Daniel, I just bought it tonight. The actual RGB cords are at least 6 feet in length. I have my X-Box (just bought it tonight!!!) separated a good ways from my processor (X-Box in bottom left, processor in upper right), so I will go out on a limb and say the RGB's supplied with the hi-def pack are about 8 feet in length at least.

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
Thanks Evan. Is there any chance I could use those cable with a DVD player? I can't use them with my Xbox since I plan on running the Xbox through an external scaler via component->BNC connections.

Ike

Screenwriter
Is there any chance I could use those cable with a DVD player?
If your player has component inputs, yes. They are standard component cables, unlike most game cables which have an adapter that hooks into the system.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Sorry guys, could someone clarify this for me...?
If I want to hook an X-Box up via S-Video through my receiver and toslink cable for 5.1 audio, is this possible simply from purchasing the additional Hi-Def A/V pack? I realize I'd need to probably purchase an extra S-Video and toslink cable seperately.
If not, what purchases would I need to make in order to do this?
Thanks!

The hd pack does not have an s video connection. Fof S video and 5.1 you need the advanced av pack, not the hd pack.

Ike

Screenwriter
And like the HD pack, the Advanced AV pack comes with an S Video cable, but not an optical cable.

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I am certainly happy that people keep stressing that the optical cable is not included when you buy either the Advanced AV pack or the HD pack otherwise I would not have experienced Halo in Dolby Digital from the outset. I purchased my system at Future Shop in Canada and the clerk serving me insisted I would not need to buy a separate toslink cable for the X-Box along with the Advanced AV pack. Of course once I heard the price Future Shop wanted I went elsewhere for the optical cable. I ended up buying the optical cable at Radio Shack for $15 less. For people who have not experience gaming in DD, it is outstanding!
On another note, I noticed that my X-Box is quite loud (I think I am hearing the disk spinning/whining). Is this normal? Once I get into a game I do not notice it at all but if I concentrate on it, I can always hear the X-Box (I tend to turn the volume down when I am playing a video game at 1:30 in the morning, and both my wife and I have to work the next day. :D )
Chris

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Christopher, I agree my X-Box is on the louder side when I focus on it, but when I'm playing a game I hardly notice. It might be a bit loud and distracting if I were watching a DVD movie on it, but I'll gladly take the tradeoff of great gaming in DD 5.1 for the slightly louder sound it generates.

HowardA

Auditioning
Thank you all. Got it, hooked up to component video in of TV, optical sound in on B&K and it works! Apparently B&K has some bug where any time a game is changed, you lose the sound until you switch audio in and switch it back to X-box (B+K blames MS, MS blames MS). Weird.

One problem I have is that I cannot get any sound on my NFL game (forget the name and it is downstairs), may also be related to this bug (bummer). But Halo and Munchee (sp?) sound awesome.

They are selling like gangbusters according to the Circuit City salesman, a young kid who was very helpful. A friend and I each bought one and are already sharing games, this will cost MS some money as more and more people will soon know other X-boxers to share games with, sell used ones etc...

Two other issues for discussion:

1. I bought an inexpensive Monster optical cable ($30) when they tried to sell me an $80 Monster cable. Anyone thinks the sound will really be any different?

2. Why in the world did MS not use a USB port on the X-box for the controller? It would be great to be able to share this equipment with our computers and vice versa. Did they do this just to make some more cash via licensing fees and the consumer not being able to share their PC equipment?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
On point 2, Howard, you've got it exactly - it's all about the extra revenue from peripherals. Retailers need those extra dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks