What's new

x-30 or x-20 What's the difference? (1 Viewer)

Can anyone explain this technical jargon on the Paradigm web site regarding the differences between the X-Series control units.
X-Series Control Unit Comparison
I just bought a Servo-15 and the dealer gave me an option to get the X-30 or X-20. He recommended the X-20 but I wanted to check it out first so that I can at make a semi-educated decision. I'll be using a Yamaha RXV-2200 reciever. I have a pretty good idea what it's for. I just don't know if one is better than the other or if just depends on the setup I have.
Thanks

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
I have the X-30. There are three main differences:

- the X-30 uses line-level inputs, that is you connect it to the pre-amp outputs - the sub output or left/right outputs, depending on how you use it. It has a high-pass output that is line level, meant to be fed back to your amplifier inputs.

- the X-20 takes speaker-level outputs and sends back a speaker-level high-pass input, and produces a line-level signal for the sub

- the frequency of the high-pass output is selectable on the X-30, at 50hz, 80hz or 100hz, by selecting one of three outputs on the back.

For simply controlling a subwoofer that is connected to the sub out it probably does not matter too much which one you use. You'd only need it if you want to use a crossover frequency that is different than the bass management in your processor, or use the phase control to minimize signal cancellation from two subs.

I'm using it to drive a sub off of the low-pass signal split out from my left and right line level outputs. The reason I'm doing this is so I can use the 'source direct' mode for music on my marantz SR8000, this mode has greatly superior sound but bypasses all bass mgmt and does not drive the sub out channel. Thus I drive the sub off the pure signal from the left and right speakers. Th

Also, my guess is that it is better to use the line level signals. The X-20 eventually produces a line-level signal to send to the sub, but it does it from speaker-level inputs. Theres got to be some loss of quality when you amplify the line level signal to get the speaker level signal, mess around with it in the X-20, then conver the resulting sub signal back to line level. But that's just an educated guess.

Larry

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone tell us what the bass management options are on the Yamaha RXV 2200 receiver, and the Servo 15. What are the crossover frequency in the 2200? What controls does the Servo 15 have? Is an external crossover really required?

Larry

Larry, thanks for the reply.

I'm learning as fast as I can but I'm still very new at this so please forgive me if I say or ask a silly question.

FYI, the Yamaha RXV-2200 has pre/outs for an external amplifier. I've been reading the Owner's Manual for the Yamaha RXV-2200 (from Yamaha's web site) and it says that the LFE signals are defined as 90 Hz and below. There is a setting called "1E LFE/BASS OUT (bass out mode)" with the option to select "SWFR" (if you use a subwoofer, LFE signals directed to it), "MAIN" (if you don't have a subwoofer, LFE signals directed to main speakers), and "BOTH" (if you use a subwoofer and want to mix main channel low-frequency signals with the LFE signals)

Is the 90 Hz mentioned above the same thing as the crossover frequency? Does having the option to slect the high-pass output frequencies mean that whatever frequency I select, the only signals directed to the sub are that frequency and lower, and all other frequencies are directed to the mains?

Do I need an external amplifier in order to benefit from the X-30's selectable frequencies? I wasn't planning on purchasing one until next year or so. It's in the plans but not the immediate plans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks