What's new

WSJ article on Tivo and ReplayTV (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
There was an article in the Wall Street Journal today about how people who have PVR love them, but the manufactors are having an extremely hard time marketing them. If you are interested in reading the article you can proabably find it over at wsj.com Thanks, Chris
------------------
Home Theater: http://www.ig-88.net

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
I was very surprised to read that only 200,000 units have been sold of Tivo and Replay combined. Heck, it seems like there's that many here at HTF alone
wink.gif
There's sure been enough ad blitzes here in the Bay Area to make it SEEM like a far more mainstream or ubiquitous product than the WSJ numbers suggest.
Must be frustrating to sell a product that users love, but potential customers almost have to already be users to realize they need it - otherwise, consumers won't take the purchase plunge. Maybe the units have to get cheaper to reduce the buyer hesitation - but that's a chicken/egg problem too - more volume will help drive the price down, which creates more volume, etc.

AnaDFrat

Agent
I've had my Tivo about 5 months and absolutely love it. I just know that there is more to it and I'm not using it correctly.
I still can't figure out how to dump to the vcr. Does the tivo have to play and the vcr record or is it automatic?
I've tried it several times and nothing happens.

Bob Jackson

Stunt Coordinator
If you have a Sony TiVo and a Sony VCR it is supposed to be semi-automatic.
Any other combonation and you have to hit the record button on the VCR when the TiVo tells you. There is not much extra functionality on the Phillips versus just playing the show on the TiVo and hitting record, but you do get a little countdown screen.
PS You must have some cabling hooking the VCR to the TiVo. I have the second set of RCA outputs on the TiVo feeding the Line In on my VCR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks