What's new

Wreckless for Xbox...why did it get such high scores??? (1 Viewer)

Kami

Screenwriter
9.0 at IGN? 9.1 from OXM? What the hell were they thinking?
I saw this at the store for a price I couldn't refuse so I figured... "two 9+ scores...it's probably worth it." What a waste of time and money! I was bored and frustrated after 10 minutes. Some of the graphics look great but I can't begin to imagine what those reviewers were on when they played it. :) It's bar none the worst game I've played on my Xbox.
Did any of you guys like this? Am I missing something?? Should I give it another chance?
Think I am returning it tomorrow...then picking up The Two Towers :)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I think they were blinded from the eye candy. It stopped being fun after you had to jump onto the huge dumptruck with TNT in the back. I say return it. I dare say you might have more fun playing the Italian Job for PSX/2 for $9.95.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Pretty graphics, that's it.

Some people like the later levels (which play differently), but I just cannot get on with it. I've borrowed it a few times, just to try & get on with it, but it never works.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
It didn't really get high reviews, except for a couple of exceptions

The Xbox needed another killer app at the time so IGN and OXM decided to "make" one.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Maybe not a 9 but I thought it was a very solid game. Hard to core in the beginning but overall too short. Now if they had the features that the PS2 version is getting it would probably be my favorite game. Free roaming, more levels.

Kami

Screenwriter
Well I did play several missions and it seemed to me that ALL the game consists of is chasing guys while avoiding traffic, then ramming them with your car until they're dead. The whole dumptruck thing wasn't something I'd call "different" either.
This was my first relatively "blind" purchase. I usually thoroughly research every purchase I make. All I recalled was the scores, and I took a chance on it. I guess I'll never be doing that again :)

Jeffrey D Smith

Stunt Coordinator
The Xbox needed another killer app at the time so IGN and OXM decided to "make" one.
As I recall at the time those reviews were made both of the above "publications" had a TON of wreckless advertising in them.

If you ask me, the game got good reviews because they paid for them. Says alot...

Trevor Harveaux

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I really, really liked this game. I know... I'm biased...
But I had a blast playing it. Once you unlock the heavier cars and the tank, it becomes very addicting IMO. After an hour drive in rush hour traffic I like to unwind by driving the wrong way (making a traffic jam) through a crowded city blowing away cars with the tank. :angry:
It's more of a platformer with a car than anything... But the physics could have been better, the cars seemed way to light and way too easy to tip. I cant wait for Wreakless 2 (if one gets made). I'll have to ask about that. :D

Trevor Harveaux

Stunt Coordinator
And why would that be?
Two small reasons:

1. I'm a graphics whore.

2. I work for Activision*

*I had nothing to do with this game, nor do I know ANYONE who really had anything to do with this title. So it's sales really don't help me at all. But I still like it. =)

Dan B

Screenwriter
I agree that it's overrated by IGN & OXM, but I think it's also over-criticised at the same time. If you're the kind of person that likes driving games involving "smashing stuff", then you'll like this game. ;) It does have a big "wow factor", which probably counted for more than it should have in some regards...the same could be said of other games that have recieved similar scores as well. It's not an "A game" though, I certainly agree with that! But hey, I hate the Tony Hawk type of games, so to each his own, right!?
You know, as I was typing this I was thinking about another game involving smashing stuff....Blast Corp, & I was imagining what a sequel might be like with Wreckless' graphics. :D
*goes to pray at his Rare shrine

Kami

Screenwriter
I agree that it's overrated by IGN & OXM, but I think it's also over-criticised at the same time. If you're the kind of person that likes driving games involving "smashing stuff", then you'll like this game. It does have a big "wow factor", which probably counted for more than it should have in some regards...the same could be said of other games that have recieved similar scores as well. It's not an "A game" though, I certainly agree with that! But hey, I hate the Tony Hawk type of games, so to each his own, right!?
Funny you should say that, because I DO love smash em up games. I got more playtime out of Destruction Derby and Destruction Derby 2 then I care to say! :D I still hated Wreckless. Boring, uninspired, monotonous, bleh. If you can't tell, i gave it another chance today....but only lasted about 20mins before i turned it off. she's going back boys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks