What's new

Wow! HK AVR8000 receiver applies Logic 7 to 5.1 sources?! (1 Viewer)

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
John here's a little background on the remote and some other things I asked of H/K. I even made a shameless plug for an out-of-date, out-of-production remote.
FYI - I'll try posting the CCF (for Marantz 5200) today on remotecentral.com.
the HE1000A is a remote repeater. it features a table top repeater, with power supply, 1/8" stereo cable and the flasher. It allows you to control any Harman/Kardon product with a remote input or remote sensor.
The Harman website only lets you register if you are in the U.S. All you need for any warranty work is your bill of sale.
I have not heard of any complaints about the AVR8000 remote. I would suggest the following. remove the batteries and connect a jumper between the + and the - of 2 terminals. leave the remote like this for a few minutes. After that, I would insert the batteries and reprogram the remote to the factory default. To do this, press and hold the AVR and Mute buttons. then hit 0 0 1. If this does not help, please let me know. The reason the EzSet is not working well is probably due to the issues with the remote.
best wishes,
Assistant Product Manager
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
-----Original Message-----
A message from:
Greg Hamilton
First the question: What is an 'HE1000A" Remote Infra-Red Sensor and what does it do. As I have an AVR 8000 receiver, this item is listed under the parts and accessories category on your www.harmankardon.com website.
Now the problems:
1) When trying to register my new AVR8000 online www.harmankardon.com I cannot complete the form as it continually indicates to me that my Postal Code is incorrect.. I'm a Canadian resident (my Postal Code is XXXXXX).
2) The remote that comes with the AVR 8000 is horrible. The EasySet function works poorly and the IR transmitter on the remote is alot worst than the AVR7000 remote. I never had problems with my AVR7000 remote.
I've changed the batteries (even measured with multimeter).
I noticed that the EasySet SPL calibrator added like +10db to my right rear speaker. Even to the ear is was way off. Using an analog SPL meter I was able to calibrate things accurately (-5 db). All channels were out of wack. The EasySet function was out by a whole lot. I also gave the feature multiple chances to shine.. each time different incorrect results.
The IR transmitter on the remote is very weak. Multiple attempts are made to do simple commands ie: increase the volume. I'm only 10 feet away.
I know that this is a fairly new product but are there any known issues on the remote? The remote functions but it very frustrating to complete some simple tasks. And why didn't H/K throw in the 'H/K Take One' remote with it's flagship receiver. Most other companies are doing likewise. The remote is key to operating the receiver.
Other than that I have to compliment H/K on a job well done on the AVR 8000. Beautiful balance between implementing todays technology and good ole fashion audiophile quality.

John Bennett

Auditioning
John here's a little background on the remote and some other things I asked of H/K. I even made a shameless plug for an out-of-date, out-of-production remote.
FYI - I'll try posting the CCF (for Marantz 5200) today on remotecentral.com.
Excellent - thanks!
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with these problems... I went through almost exactly the same process you did, discovering that the AVR 8000's IR emitter seems to be very weak, and that the EZSet function is almost useless as a result.
Let me know if those "reset" instructions from H/K actually make any noticeable improvement on your remote. I'll be sure to give H/K my own problem report, too. I wonder how much anecdotal evidence it takes before they acknowlege a problem like this? :rolleyes
--John

JeffMuller

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,

Actually, I'd like to get hold of your CCF, becuase I'm curious to see if the discrete surround modes work on the 7000! (at least, the ones that it actually supports).

Jeff

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
For those looking for a 2 channel amp to get their HK AVR8000 to 7.1, get this used Citation 5.1 4 channel amp. It will BLOW away any of HK's current 4 channel amps. This is a basically a Madrigal/Proceed amp. With the extra two amp channels, you can biamp your mains, drive you center and a sub, or drive two subs, etc.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=60315

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks