What's new

Wow! HK AVR8000 receiver applies Logic 7 to 5.1 sources?! (1 Viewer)

Al_Reb

Agent
Heh, I didn't even try it till Greg said it could. I was going by what was written in the manual. I had it for a week and never thought of trying Logic 7 with DD or DTS. Many thanks to Greg, for finding this out.:emoji_thumbsup:
Arthur, if you really want one, and can't find one. Just let me know, my H/K dealer has 2 left, the last time I talked to him.

StevenK

Second Unit
Any idea if the avr520 performs the same duty? I highly doubt it ... but wouldn't hurt to ask.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Just got off the phone with HK tech support. The owners manual is incorrect, the 8000 does apply Logic 7 to Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 soundtracks.
Greg was right. No hard feelings I hope.
This makes the HK8000 one of the most desirable receivers on the market.
Wish I had one.
Artie

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
They're about $1650 plus shipping, street price.

If that tech support guy really knows what he's talking about and the AVR8000 applies Logic 7 processing to DD and DTS 5.1, this thing is going to be an awesome value.

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
I actually wonder if it's a software implementation error on H/K's part. Even though the manual was contradicting itself - it did state that 'In some case you would be able to apply Logic 7 to DD 5.1 & DTS 5.1'.

H/K marketing should have jumped on the fact that the Logic 7 implementation of the new H/K receiver was more versatile than previous generation H/K reveivers (AVR7000).

It's definitely a step forward for H/K and another added bonus for their flagship receiver.

Not entirely sure about the other receiver in the lineup.. If I recall correctly the manuals pretty much read the same. Somebody should give it a whirl. -gh

Adil M

Supporting Actor
You won't fing the HK8000 for less then 1200 dollars anywhere. That's pretty much their cost.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Man this makes my decision tough. I am pretty much all set to get the Outlaw 950 and now i hear that the 8000 can apply Logic 7 to 5.1 sources. If anybody has done some serious listening to this unit with L7 please post your results. I would really like to know how L7 sounds on the 8000. The 8000 could be an even better value than it already was. I might be changing my mind...again.:)

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Greg,
Does applying L7 to 5.1 sources noticably improve the soundstage and sound quality? I am starting to become very interested in the 8000.:)
Thanks,
Dalton

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
The tech guy read me a statement that seemed to clearly say that the 8000 can do Logic 7 on 5.1. I asked him to email or fax it to me but he refused, saying that HK management wants to present this on HT forums like this in the next week.

Artie

Phil M

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 320, and I can say for a fact, that it does NOT apply Logic 7 to 5.1 digital sources, so I'm assuming that the 520 cannot either.

Does anyone know if the bass management is the same in the 8000? On the X20's, you can select small speakers, and then choose the crossover point to the sub which is either 80 or 100, BUT when you choose large speakers, FULL RANGE signals go to the mains, AND the sub, you can then reduce the info that goes to the sub by chosing a 40 or 60 crossover, but full range always goes to the mains..

I really wish that it would filter the bass from the mains as well, and then send the balance to the sub.

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Phil,

Quick note:

On the 8000 you can use any configuration of large/small/none throughout all 7 speakers (except in Logic 7 - which maintains a small or none setting for the center) with any setting of the x-overs being 40, 60, 80 & 100 Hz. The x-over also allows you to set any of the frequencies mentioned through the sub and your mains ie: THX80Hz+L/R or 60Hz+L/R. I might come back and clarify later if needed. -gh

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Just to let everyone know that Arthur S's "eating crow" thread has now been merged into this one.
Michael Reuben
HTF Administration

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Dalton,

The soundstage opens up notibly when applying L7 on any source material including 5.1. There's definitely more activity going on the in the rears.

Note:

As I only have a 5.0 speaker system (no sub - and mix the LFE into my active speakers) I find that L7 adds too much low frequency into my speakers - distoring the mids and highs. Probably just my settings and my need for decibels. This observation is mostly with DVDs.

When playing DTS 5.1 Audio CD's, ie: Sting 'Brand New Day' with L7 applied it sounds amazing and not confined to any one speakers.

Al_Reb could probably speak more accurately to the sonic performance of the 8000 as he has 7 speakers running and the extra amps to drive those additional speakers - and oh ya he probably has a sub too (I got get me one of those). -gh

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Thanks alot Greg. I am now considering this receiver as an alternative to the Outlaw 950. I will probably still go with the 950 but this HK has me intrigued.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
This is great news. The HK8000 is now one of the most desirable receivers available. Wish I had one.
Artie, you are the MAN!:D
I have been buying HK products since 1972 when I picked up a HK Citation 16 power amp (which I just sold a week ago) which still pumped out incredibly pure sonic bliss through a double pair of Dahlquist DQ-10s.
It is great to hear you are now in Harman Kardon Country. I mentioned brand loyalty a few posts back when the 8000 came up, and I have to say I do have a preference, but the preference is driven by the quality of the sound (very few amps sound like HK) and a reasonable feature set.
While it is true that HK had 2 'back to back' model years where they really "blew it" (AVR-65 and AVR-510) I had 4 of those bad units.
I almost left the fold, but they brought me back in by replacing the 510 with a 7000.
As a HT consultant, I "place" HK products with confidence now and know the customer will be happy.
And someone said the "cost" on the 8000 was $1200. Let me assure you it is not unless you are a "SUPER" High volume dealer.
If you can find an 8000 for $1650 plus shipping you are getting the receiver bargain of the year. Especially if you look at the styling, feature set, power, and yes the sound.
There are many GREAT brands out there that can "light up your speakers", but if you really want to do some serious listening with little "listening fatigue" you better put an ear on HK. (not to hard on the eyes either)
I jumped on Arthur a few posts ago, but now Artie, you're da MAN!
Let me know when you get your 8000, and if you can't find a good price, e-mail me I owe you one.
Spread the WORD and Hear the MUSIC.:b
John Casler

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
John

I owned an HK receiver many years ago. As I recall it was fine. That was during a period when I was constantly looking for something better and went through a lot of gear and a lot of money.

More recently, I rejoined the the HK team when I bought a Citation 7.1 amp. Citation was HK's premier line. These amps originally listed for $2,800. When Harman International decided to drop the Citation line, there were a lot of Citation amps on Ubid, advertised as new. The 7.1 is a 4,3,2 convertible that does 150 watts into each of 4 channels. The bridging is a great feature. These amps were designed to operate in bridge mode safely into 4 ohm loads. Very few bridgeables can handle 4 ohms. Right now I am using the 7.1 in 2 channel mode for my mains with 400+ watts into each channel.

I always wanted a big ass amp. And at about 75 pounds it is. I think I ended up paying $765 for it. Somewhere down the line I can see myself using it to drive 2 subs, perhaps SVS.

Thanks for welcoming me back into the fold.

Artie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks