What's new

would you interested with sdds for home system? (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i know there isnt such a thing, but if they were going to do it...are you guys interested?

i personally am not.

dolby5.1 is more than enough. dts is also good, no need for another. but i heard that sdds had more channels...

SvenS

Second Unit
Very few people would have an interest or the room for a 8.1 audio standard.

RichardMA

Second Unit
SDDS is the best theatrical sound format. I saw
"Fifth Element" which had a full (8 channel)
SDDS playback and I have never heard anything to match
it. DD home/theatrical sound good, about equal, DTS
theatrical is a mediocre sound format and DTS home
is superior.
But in answer to your question, 8 REAL channels instead
of these backward-thinking matrixed add-ons? You BET
I'd like SDDS for home use! I've got their theatrical
set-up software and it's amazingly powerful, too bad
no software or home decoders to utilize it with!
-Rich

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
8 REAL channels instead of these backward-thinking matrixed add-ons?
The SDDS 8 has nothing to do with a comparison to the Rear Center Ex/ES 7th channel! And SDDS can be equiped with EX! The two additional channels of SDDS are behind the screen to fill in gaps on a big screen {4 Front L/R so to speak). But not all SDDS is 8 channel, most are 6 channels(5.1).
And no I do not feel we need SDDS in Home Theater, but if they offered it I would upgrade to get it just so I can say I have it!;)
Wes

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Yeah, we do not need SDDS at home. It was designed to make up for the shortcomings of DD/DTS in extremely large theaters. There would be no advantage in the home. If you want 8-12.1 then we need a new format to support it. One that supports clear, vertical panning, to provide real 3D sound. After waiting a year to buy a reciever to get EX/ES instead of enjoying what was on the market when I needed one, and then waiting another year to actually have a room where I could set it up, I can say that the formats we have now are fine until somone reaches a whole new level of surround encoding and decoding, not just slapping more channels into the current systems.

RichardMA

Second Unit
The thing is, there is only one new format and that's
DTS ES Discrete. The others only facilitate a "kind" of
extra channel(s) environment with poor seperation (relative to DD and DTS/ES/Discrete). Preferring that over real,
discrete extra channels is questionable.
Adding two channels to the front, wider and higher also
improves the "height" effect and the only company that has
attempted this has been Yamaha, but their channels
are only for minor effect and are not discrete. The ultimate system will be available when there are two channels in the rear, two on the sides, and five across the front. Right now, the closest you can come to this would be: Yamaha's RX-Z1 system playing DTS ES Discrete which features the hard rear-centre channel and the "matrixed" front high and wide two channels (8.1 channels; 6 discrete, 2 matrix, and the .1 sub channel) or (I don't know if this is even possible) THX Ultra 2 post processing of DTS ES Discrete's rear channel into 2 slightly different rear channels resulting in a kind of 7.1 channel environment.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
No way.

Sony's use of the same acoustic masking codec as Minidisc in their SDDS system makes it one of the worst sounding of the three formats.

My vote would be for either MLP 7.1 (24 bit/192 kHz) or DSD 7.1 with stereo back channels.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks