What's new

Would anyone know why these movies haven't been released on Blu-ray in Region A ? (1 Viewer)

stevenHa

Second Unit
Is there any specific information on why the 1940 Thief of Bagdad hasn't been released on blu ray ? Is it pending ? Also, for some other films highlighting W. Percy Day's artwork, what is holding up release of the 1950 The Black Rose and what looks like his best film the 1948 Bonnie Prince Charlie ?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Because CRITERION Doesn't want to upgrade it's DVDs. I've been waiting for 49TH PARALLEL, GREAT EXPECTATIONS, HAMLET. HENRY V and HENRY VIII among others for a long time.

It sucks, but... just have to wait and hope they do in fact upgrade one day.

...Or, pick some of these up from somewhere /someone else:

49th Parallel: I own this and it's quite good. There are multiple copies of it currently selling on eBay in the $15-25 range.

HENRY V (1945): Same thing...only eBay copies are even cheaper for this one. I have this also, and it's beautiful.

GREAT EXPECTATIONS (David Lean): Several copies on eBay selling for almost nothing. The PQ is very acceptable. Good place-holder until a Criterion comes out.

HAMLET (1948). I don't own this, and so cannot attest to its quality.

If you meant THE PRIVATE LIFE OF HENRY VIII (1933), it is a PD title and has not yet been released on Blu-ray. Film Detective might get around to it, but the quality would be pretty iffy.

So, pick up the first four, buy yourself an inexpensive all-region player, and you're off!
Hope this helps.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Because CRITERION Doesn't want to upgrade it's DVDs. I've been waiting for 49TH PARALLEL, GREAT EXPECTATIONS, HAMLET. HENRY V and HENRY VIII among others for a long time.

Yes I’d also be all over a BluRay of Great Expectations- one of my favorite films.

The film I’d like Criterion to release on BluRay, with the previous commentaries intact, is
This Is Spinal Tap.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
There might have been a Blu-ray release of The Thief of Bagdad in the UK by Network in 2015 but it looks like it is out of print.

1588256951613.png

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I think The Thief of Bagdad was mentioned in the Criterion interview with Lee Kline a few months ago. They're wanting to wait for a better restoration/remaster. The DVD is very good, but it's from a 35mm Eastmancolor element instead of the 3-strip originals. I'd imagine the UK Blu-ray was from the same element, so might have not stood up like the gorgeous restorations for the P&P Technicolor films.

Though, Criterion has been speeding up their upgrades lately. Just this year, there will be eight reissues/upgrades of DVDs (including one box set) through July. 2019 had 15 total, including three box sets. And we're supposed to get Fellini and Varda boxes before the end of the year, which would bring up to 16 DVD-only films to Blu-ray (11 mainline, five Eclipse).

Not that it's the same as having an actual Blu-ray disc, but The Criterion Channel has a ton of the DVD-only titles available in true 1080p. The Thief of Bagdad, 49th Parallel, Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, Hamlet, Henry V, A Canterbury Tale, and I Know Where I'm Going! look quite nice for the most part.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Is there any specific information on why the 1940 Thief of Bagdad hasn't been released on blu ray ? Is it pending ? Also, for some other films highlighting W. Percy Day's artwork, what is holding up the release of the 1950 The Black Rose and what looks like his best film the 1948 Bonnie Prince Charlie ?

The Black Rose is a Fox film and since Disney took over Fox, I wouldn't expect any physical media release of Fox's catalog titles anytime soon.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'd think the thread title should be: Would anyone know why these movies haven't been released In America on blu ray ?

You gotta buy world-wide these days. Without Blu-rays from America, France , Germany & Australia, my collection would be a lot poorer. I'd be very surprised (& delighted) if the 3-strip originals for The Thief Of Bagdad still survive in good order.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It may very well be in the public domain, but that didn't stop Criterion from releasing a box set of Alexander Korda films with this movie in the set (I reviewed it a long time ago; it was on DVD, I believe, and I remember Henry VIII not looking great but OK for its age).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It may very well be in the public domain, but that didn't stop Criterion from releasing a box set of Alexander Korda films with this movie in the set (I reviewed it a long time ago; it was on DVD, I believe, and I remember Henry VIII not looking great but OK for its age).
Yeah, I bought the HD digital on iTunes during one of their Christmas sales. It's okay and looks better than the DVD, but it needs some work for a Blu-ray release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks