What's new

Would anyone be interested in a Gaming review site geared toward people like us? (1 Viewer)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking. In light of a thread in the hardware section to create an FAQ for newbies. Who would be interested in a site (that could maybe be a part of the forum such as Obi's reviews) that is geared towards Game/Home Theater enthusiasts.
One of the main complaints I see on the forum is the lack of information included in allot of the "major" review sites such as 16:9 compatibility, 5.1 sound review, 480 compatibility....so forth and so on.
I think it would be invaluable to us all as both hardcore gamers and home theater lovers. I honestly do not know much about building a website but I love to do game reviews and would be more than willing to do them on a regular basis for the forum members (especially since I buy so many of them:)).
Is anyone interested in getting something like this started up? Maybe we can get a good solid group of 2-3 members doing reviews that can provide good solid info on the game as well as its HT capabilities.
It doesn't have to be anything big or elaborate website wise but I do know a good bit of web designers who could help and if the membership helps it would be even better.
What do you think?

Ike

Screenwriter
Of course I'd check in, if it was updated to review the latest games. But if it focused on 5.1/Progressive, wouldn't almost be exclusively X-Box, with only a handful of Gamecube and PS2?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
But if it focused on 5.1/Progressive, wouldn't almost be exclusively X-Box, with only a handful of Gamecube and PS2?
Well it wouldn't necessarily be totally about that. If an X-box game were reviewed it would go into more detail concerning those things. The same would go for the Cube, or the PS2 such as the DTS sound on some of the newer games. Reading reviews at IGN or Gamespot really doesnt give much of an insight concerning these things.

The main thrust of the site would be to review games on all platforms but it would also focus much more on things we care about.

Also when multiple games are release on the different platforms we could go a little more in depth as to the differences between the different versions. Unlike some sites that just post the same review and throw in tid bits...

Just an idea..

Dan B

Screenwriter
Well we already have the 16x9 games list started by Michael, but perhaps we could just create another sticky topic covering the other features you mentioned.

-Dan B

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The main thrust of the site would be to review games on all platforms but it would also focus much more on things we care about.
So it would cater on the quality of games' use of HD, surround sound etc? What about quality of gameplay? Or would it purely be a 'technical' review?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
What about quality of gameplay?
It would most definitely cover the quality of the games as well. Think of this as a hybrid site. It would include covering things such the graphics, controls, music etc... of a game and it would also gear toward the technical side as well dealing with what you listed above.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Sign me up! Feel free to email me Romier. I'd be happy to contribute.

-Dave

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I would be interested. If info like the inclusion of a 16:9 or widescreen mode, 5.1 sound (real-time or cutscene), 480p (and up), and other technical features, in addition to a classic "is it good and why" review were in place, then I would be quite interested.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I'd be interested in all aspects of such a site. Not only would I like to do reviews but I do quite a bit of development for my job. This includes wed development among other things. Feel free to e-mail me with any details.

-Andre F

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I'd be interested to. Videogames and Home Theatres are becoming good bed fellows these days and more technical based reviews would take my interest, absolutely.

Dan (UK)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Ok,
Ive contacted Dave and Andre and it looks like they want to help. I'm checking in on getting some hosting and other things setup. If anyone else wants to contribute please email me at [email protected] or just post in this thread. If I see enough interest in the next couple of days here I will go into "serious" mode and start looking at making this site a reality.
I'll update as things move along.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'd be very interested in a site that's pitched to the gamer with a high-end A/V system, so long as it's not all about the hardware. Or even mostly about the hardware - just a good gaming site that takes the high-end stuff into consideration when reviewing the game.

hwshi

Stunt Coordinator
very interested! this forum is one of the few places to get information,and not having too wade through tons of fanboy b.s. so if it was to be kept in the same vain i'd be very interested.

ChrisV

Second Unit
I would also be very interested. That's the major omission from most online reviews. It would be nice to have somewhere where I could get the details on the more technical aspects of a game.

Dan B

Screenwriter
It looks like there's a lot of interest here. I'd be glad to contribute my personal opinions on whatever Xbox games I can get ahold of, since that's the only next-gen system I own currently. I'd also be glad to contribute my thoughts on the use of 5.1 audio since I am an audio freak and a gamer. Email me if you have any questions.

-Dan B

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I would be interested in contributing, but don't put me at the top of your list for people to ask. I'm already helping a friend of mine as a news editor at Link Removed (Final Fantasy fansite)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I'm there too!
I can certainly provide a retailer's perspective (assuming someone out there finds that mildly interesting).
Before you get to many plans made you should contact Kelley_B. He already has a website up and running Link Removed. Perhaps he could use the power of the HTF to support his page?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Well I was kind of looking into doing something a little different with this page Camp.:) Dont know if maybe Kelley is interested in a joint effort for both sites??
A retailers perspective would be great also. Send me an email on what kind of thing you would like to do. Maybe you can write a column or editorial from the retailers perspective?:) It would be an interesting read.
On that note maybe one of you developers on the forum would like to get involved and have an open forum in which to communicate your thoughts on the industry.
I already looked into registering a domain name for the website and have a web design friend hammering out some good things for me on that front. I'm gonna be emailing some you guys that I haven't contacted yet and get things ironed out.
Calvin and Dan if your interested in contributing please send me an email. Let me know what you would be interested in doing also.
So far it looks Like Andre and Dave are in and I'm gonna be sending you guys some more info in the next couple of days. It looks like people are interested so...Im in "serious" mode:)
As for the name I am close to registering:
www.htgaming.com
What do you all think?
I'd like the forum to be a big part of this site so please all opinions and ideas are welcome.
I'm also thinking of ideas for a review scale and several other things. I will share allot of these ideas once I get some more info from the people who will be doing stuff for the site.
PS If everything above sound like a fragmented sentences and thoughts..thats because they are:) I'm kind of just brainstorming and I tend to just shoot ideas out:frowning:

Ike

Screenwriter
I like www.htgaming.com as a domain name. Register it with Yahoo, it's catchy.
I think as far as scale goes, I'd use 1-10, but do it like IGN-not an average. Gamespot has 5 or so catergories, then averages them together. They have one column (Reviewer's Tilt) that really is the score the Reviewer would give it-it's often different than the actual score.
I'd also have guest reviews, but no web board (they usually just get clogged up with fanboys.)
Sounds great!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks