What's new

Would anyone be interested in a Gaming review site geared toward people like us? (1 Viewer)

Bac Bradley

Stunt Coordinator
Romier - treading a little but feedback is key to a successful site. I haven't ramped up yet and began seeking reviewers (most of the emphasis to-date has been placed on the home theater area), but you can get an idea of the basic concept here:
http://www.themanroom.com/modules.php?name=Video_Games
Note: the design is just a temporary face. I want to get the site working to its potential before applying the colors and subtle graphics.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated - the review format is still wide open for comments/change.
- Dan

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Bac,
I like the site very much! It has a very good layout and navigation is quite simple (Which is something that is very important to me.).
As for HTgaming.com we are still close (I sound like a broken record:D). I've been compiling the reviews that I have done for the HTF recently and formatting them. (Believe it or not I'm actually getting pretty good with Frontpage and Dreamweaver, 2 programs I knew absolutely *nothing* about when I first started this endevour).
I'm also working on some nice flash effects and more graphical eye candy for the site. Navigation is the most important aspect of any site to me as mentioned above but I also think the site name and its major components should be noticeable and enjoyable to the eyes.
Hosting is something else that I have not decided on. There are allot of options out there but I'm also holding out on a friend in the area who could very well get me in contact with a fellow that can provide free hosting with a ton of bandwidth.(Of course that is not without its favors:))
So, yes its still coming along. I'm actually REALLY glad I'm doing something. The sheer amount of knowledge I've gained on various web and graphics applications is worth it alone.
Oh and just cause I'm still working on it don't stop sending in the reviews. I'm formatting those as well.

Bac Bradley

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, you should share a screenshot with the board - I promise I won't rip off the design :) That's been the hardest part for me actually, determining a fine line between a cool looking site that is functional and a cool looking site that is slow with too many graphics (coughIGNcough). I figure I'll nail down the layout then ice the cake.
Word to the wise on flash...keep it to a minimum. In my experience, I've found that waiting for flash animations to download when trying to retrieve information can turn people off more than it turns them on. Keep the 56k (40k and less connections in reality) guys in mind.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I hate to bust your balls again, but where the heck is it?
"It" is no longer HTgaming.com. Kelley B and I have formed a partnership to create a full on gaming site that we are currently working on called htp://www.lcvg.com. It will encompass all of the ideas that we set forth here in this thread (More HT oriented game reviews) along with some nice editorials that I have some folks writing for the site.
Kelley is working on getting contacts within several game companies so that we are able to offer up to date news and various other things. We have an almost full version of the front page up on a temp address for testing and tweaking and the review pages are almost done. Most of whats left is adding content and getting back end stuff done like the forums, ability to submit user reviews and all around PHP scripting that will allow us to add content easier.
When the front page is feature complete witth full content Ill post the temp address so you can get a gander. Part of the delay was the fact that Kelley and I started working on this thing together and a lot of the idea behind it changed and were reworked to be more than just a review site. Don't worry Morgan, your not "bustin my balls":). Feel free to ask for an update anytim. Be happy to give one as both Kelley and I are both excited about the site.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, where the heck is it
smiley_rotflmao.gif

(For those that don't get it, Scott is hosting the site for us:))

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to mention, I (as a common person with no HT right now) would also be interested in a site like this. I have been researching some major HT purchases, and I would find a site like this very useful. Perhaps an independent score, kind of like sound and graphics...HT support score?
I think a hardware review archive would also be useful. Because? Another HT important topic: Wireless Controllers! I (and my gf) have a Gamecube, PS2, SNES, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast. Most of my controller cords are about 1-2 ft too short for my living room. And I don't have a very big living room!
I know I have seen a few different threads on wireless controllers, as quite a few people have big-screen TVs (I'm working on it, I have to pay for an engagment ring first :)). I found it very hard to find more than a couple of wireless controller reviews.
Note on format: I personally like EGM's format, I like seeing 3 professional reviews each give their take on a game. I don't like just 1 review, as I feel different tastes can make for a different review.
Thanks for listening, if you have bothered to read my too-long post. :)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
HT support score?
Dave read my reviews on the forum to see he format for the reviews on the site.
Review 1
Review 2
Review 3
There will be up to 3 "official" reviews on the site and we are working currently on a full on user reviews section (that will be monitored!! So as to prevent someone throwing a 2.0 and say "it sucks").
PS: Reviews will NOT have scores on the site. Kelley and I discussed this thoroughly and we made the decision for various reasons. (which I'll go into if asked, besides that I'm pleasding the 5th:)).

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Hey Romier,

I had written some reviews for you a while ago. I just thought I'd chime in to say that I'm still willing to do so, as well as write any other 'editorial' material you would like. Just tah let you know...(said in an Eazy-E voice)

Your pal,

Jason

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Aha! I had read a couple of your reviews, but I hadn't remembered that you wrote them... :) I notice you did have some scores in your Two Towers review (like Longevity) that are useful.
I am still steadfastly convinced some wireless controller reviews would be good, though :)! The only wireless I feel safe buying right now is a Wavebird. I have a logitech 2.4ghz PC pad, it works very well, except for the D-pad. I can't imagine using that D-pad for PS1 or fighting games, and I am glad that I got it for $8. I would have regretted the $50 or so for the PS2 version.

AaronArmstrong

Stunt Coordinator
Romier,

2 things:

I would like to see a basic scoring system. Even as simple

as thumbs up or down. Or 'Buy it or rent it or avoid it.'

Also, even though I love your reviews, sometimes I would

like to see a review from non hard core gamers. Let me explain, I consider myself a hard core casual gamer. I follow everything about games. Read reviews for games for systems I don't even own, read all the previews, reserve the big titles. Buy multiple games on release dates. Read thoughts on all games here on HTF. However that being said I actually don't play games that long or often. I can't tell you the last time I finished a game. I'm looking for the quick fixes. I usually get about half way through a game and move on to the next big thing or something different.

A lot times I read reviews and I can tell that the reviewer put a lot more effort into this game than I ever will. I don't want to know how after 20 hours the complicated system really starts to shine or something along those lines.

And keeping with the home theater aspect, I look for games that will give me an experience, however briefly, that makes me feel like my whole HT setup is worth it. Does it show off the system, sound etc...

If anyone feels similar and has a better command of the english language than me, help me explain what I'm looking for in a review.

If noone feels similar than sorry for wasting yer time :p)

Aaron

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Also, even though I love your reviews, sometimes I would
There is going to be multitude of official stuff that wont be as "hardcore" Aaron so I wouldn't worry on that front.

One of the things that are planned on the "official" review section and the user reviews is that the reviewer will be required to fill out a profile.

Every "official" reviewer (Official reviews will be an "award", selected by us as being outstanding and deserving of official status) will have a Profile. ill have a more robust profile than someone that does a user review but this profile will include, HT setup information, favorite genres, game dislikes, and some blurbs about what kind of gamer the person is so that you as the reader can get a good idea of what kind of game a reviewer likes so as to get a better understanding of why they reviewed the game as they did. So along with the user stuff you have a chance of getting "official" status as well. Overall we'd like the site to be proactive in letting the readers participate. At the same time, I will be supplying reviews (Along with Andre F, Scott E and several others here who will be contributors in a more official capacity, such as Jason K who would like to wrtie for the site for instance).

Jon W H

Stunt Coordinator
Romier,
I've been looking forward to seeing this website come up for a long time. I've read many of your reviews and give you props for being a serious gamer who puts thought into what he gets out of the game, rather than treating the artform as a mere object. I enjoy seeing you share your experience from it and tell it like it is.
I understand your reluctance to implement a scoring system (which has... *ahem* caused a little controversy in the past. Byegones, I hope.) However, I was wondering if you would be open to the idea of giving games awards, ala EGM's "Platinum/Gold/Silver/Bronze/Mercury/Whatever game". (Leave the month or any date out of it, because obviously not all months have games deserving to be the "top" game of said month.) Just a thought. Or two.
I am hoping you are able to make the commitment that this will obviously require to satisfy us. (We're voracious! ;)) In a good way, of course. Best of luck to you and Kelley. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread