What's new

Would a dedicated CD player outgun my DVD? (1 Viewer)

Paul Gere

Second Unit
I've got (what I think is) a pretty good sounding DVD player that also soulds good to me on CD's [Marantz 7010]. That aside, would I get better CD performance from a dedicated CD player? (I know this can be subjective).

Any great sounding CD player recommendations (new or used) in the $400-750 range?

Associated equipment:
Anthem AVM-20 Pre/pro
Parasound HCA-2205 220w x 5 amp
Paradigm Studio Reference 100v.2 mains, Reference center and dipole surrounds.

Thanks,
-Paul

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Paul - This depends a lot on how you plan on using the player. Would you be running a digital out from it to your processor, bypassing the players internal DACs? If so then the answer to your question would probably be "no." You probably won't notice much of a difference between using your DVD player or your CD player as a transport.

On the other hand, if you're planning on using the player's internal DACs and running the analog outs to your processor, the answer would be "maybe." It would depend on whether or not the DACs in the player you buy are better than those in the Anthem. Unfortunately, the only real way to compare them is in your system.

I recently upgraded my CD player. I was using my older unit (a Sony CDP-XA1ES) as a transport only because the DACs in my Marantz AV9000 sounded much better to my ears. Based on several recommendations I ended up buying a Cambridge Audio D500 SE (~$400 shipped) to replace the Sony. All I can say is that it made a *stunning* difference in Redbook CD playback. The DACs in the Marantz sound thin and muddy compared to those in the D500, which is very rich and smooth without sacrificing detail. It's as big an improvement as the AV9000 was over the Sony.

Whether or not you'll have a simliar experience is hard to say. A lot depends on how good the DACs are in your AVM-20. I understand that it's a pretty sweet processor. About the only thing you can do is auditon a couple of CD players worth your consideration in your own system. From my own experience I can highly recommend the Cambridge Audio player. Good luck!

Paul Gere

Second Unit
Thanks, Doug!
Looking into the Cambridge Audio player now! Looks like a very well liked piece with strong bang-for-the-buck value!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Indeed it is. I think that Cambridge Audio put the money where it counts on the D500 SE. The display isn't the best in the world and the remote is very simplistic, but it is *really* a great sounding player, particularly for the price.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Paul,

You might consider the Ah! Tjoeb 4000 CDP. Given it's tube output section you might find a different and seductive sound vs. more standard types of CDPs in this price range. Lots of feedback on this unit on the various online forums (particularly Audio Asylum).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks