World at War sets. What's the diff between R1 & R2?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kai Zas, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

The R1 release has 5 discs, de R2 has 10. So what's the difference in content?

2. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Don't know....maybe the R1 has 5 dual layer discs, and the R2 has 10 single layer ones.....

3. Mark_Davis

Mark_Davis Extra

That's "roughly" it...
    The R1 set is 5 dual layer doubles sided discs (in actual fact the extras disc is single layer dual side and one other is dual layer one side single layer the other [​IMG])
    The content is identical on the two sets (barring PAL-NTSC conversion)
    here is the specification/content comparison
    http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/compari...e.php?fid=1483
    BTW www.dvdcompare.org.uk is an excellent site for just this sort of question [​IMG]

4. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

Thanks for the tips!

So, is the pal to ntsc transfer a reason to take UK release?

5. Mark_Davis

Mark_Davis Extra

Don't know I'll let you know when I've watched the R1 (It's only just arrived)...
    The R1 release is quite a bit cheaper being around £50 ($76 ish) at some online retailers and prices start around £85 ($130 ish) R2...
    R4 maybe a decent compromise as it is PAL and retails slightly above R1 price (around £55 - $84 ish)...
    To be honest given the age of the series I don't think a PAL-NTSC conversion is going to ruin it too badly especially as the old footage is sometimes not in great shape anyway.
    EDIT - Of course the use of single sided discs makes the R2 release easier to handle and makes it less susceptible to damage... Personally I saved the £35 and plumped for R1 despite living in UK [​IMG]

6. John Gallagher

John Gallagher Auditioning

The archival footage in the R1 World at War set looks terrific for it age and origin! I am sure that it must have been transfered directly from a film source, not video tape, and been cleaned up a bit. The 'making of' documentary at the beginning of the first disk seems to be from a PAL source and the clips from series look bad, fadded/scratched/etc., but don't worry, the episodes themselves are better looking than I have ever seen most of the combat footage look before.

7. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

You've pushed me over. I'll order the R1 version right away. Thanks for the help!

8. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I just recently finished watching the entire 26 episodes of The World At War. (R1)
    I thought I knew a lot about WWII until I watched this amazing series. I didn't!
    A harrowing, heart wrenching, terrifying
    lesson into one of the bloodiest eras in recent memory.
    Highly recommended![​IMG]