What's new

Woohoo! Finally getting DishNetwork! (1 Viewer)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Last night I found a deal on the internet (from Skybox TV) where I can get a free Dual-LNB dish and 2 receivers, free installation, and first month free for just $29.95 shipping and handling and an 11 month plan (first 30 days is a trial period).
Anyway, we've just been waiting for a good deal to go ahead and buy. I've been wanting it for a couple years now but didn't have a house until now. I've also wanted Dish instead of DirectTV because the programming on Dish is more to my liking.
I'm hoping it will arrive soon so I can post my first impressions. I don't have 2 TVs, but I'll probably hook up one reciever to the VCR (do we still use those?
wink.gif
) and one to the TV so I can record one show while watching another.
It isn't exactly the receiver I wanted since it doesn't have a digital audio output. I might trade-in/sell/upgrade later when I have the extra money to get the receiver I want.
Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure this receiver has an S-video output. I know there is a visable difference between S-video and composite outputs with DVD, but what about DBS? I only have one S-video input on my TV and it's being used for DVD, but the Pioneer receiver I got has S-video switching. I made sure of that before I bought it. So should I even bother with the S-video on the Dish receiver?
Bill
------------------

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
Once you get to A/B the S-video you will choose it because it's clearly better. I just switched from dish to direct. I installed my dish in December of last year when no leaves were on the trees. This spring I lost the 119 signal and was unable to get it back at all. I called a pro installer since they have more experience but no luck. I bought an B55 Sony receiver and another dish antenna from the guy and was back in business. The picture is blotchy (all backgrounds, dark scenes, walls, water etc) with direct tv and the sony (very disappointed). I then ordered on line an RCA 480 receiver because the installer did not have AC3 units and the picture is much better. Closer to dish network but 90% better than the Sony receiver. Good luck you'll be very happy with dish network (I was, I'm not a sports fan so dish program was good). :) Claude

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Bill,
Congrats on your purchase. I'm sure you will love your satellite TV. I have Dish as well and have been happy as hell for about 8 months. I have all my s-video connections going into my pre-amp and have one s-video out on my pre-amp going to my tv. So I do not have to switch anything when going from dvd to satellite. My vcr does not have s-video so I have to change the input on my tv. One thing I do is have the composite output of my satellite receiver going to the composite input of my vcr. This way I'm able to record, although I have to have the satellite receiver on and set on the correct channel.
I've noticed better clarity with s-video as well. It was quite noticable on my 40" mitsubishi tube.
As far as audio, I use the toslink connection. If you use the ppv, you can get DD signals. I did a ppv on U571 and it was incredible.
------------------
------ Dave ------
------------------
Link Removed

Bill:
You will enjoy your DisNetwork system, I'm certain. We've been subscribers for only 2-1/2 years and enjoy it as much as the day we switched from cable after 32 years!! We've not looked back and constantly wonder why those who have a choice would continue with cable instead of switching to DishNetwork. As for receivers, we have three DishPlayers, which are wonderful!!! Those we've had about a year and can't say enough good things about them. Congratulations and welcome to the world of satellite television!! It's the best way to watch TV, in our opinion!!

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Bill,
I've been a satisfied Dish Network subscriber for about 10 months now. I use an S-Video connection (from receiver to TV) and it is MUCH better than composite.
If I were you I'd go for the extra few $$$ and get the receiver(s) with the Dolby Digital output. I didn't because I got Dish Network before I got into the Home Theater craze and now I'm sorry I didn't go for the Dolby Digital receiver. Another reason I say this is because when you are a new subscriber there are great deals to be had (like the one you are getting) but once you are a current subscriber and want to upgrade your receiver you have to pay full price for a new reciever (ex. $179 for a Dolby Digital model). Hope this helps.
JB

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Thanks for all the comments. I still haven't received anything yet (getting very anxious). I'll be calling the company today to find out about delivery and I'll ask them about any deals for upgrading the receiver. I'll be getting 2 receivers, but I only want DD on one of them.
This is the first time I've done business with Skybox TV and I've never heard of them before. I hope they are reputable. Their website is funny because everyday their deal expires at 11pm EST that night. So if you go on today it says it expires tonight, but tomorrow it will expire tomorrow night. See it at http://www.skyboxtv.com. They are on back log. They also don't know what special offer they can give me for upgrading one of the receivers. They've sent off an email to Dish asking them about it and will get back to me. They say they've been getting a lot of calls about this.
------------------

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Check out www.dishdepot.com and see if their deal is as good or better than the people you are dealing with.
Dish Depot offers combinations of a variety of receivers.
The 501 is a nice main receiver, because it has S-Video, Digital Audio Out and internal hard disk recording, too.
Installation at Dish Depot is an extra - you have to look in the accessories section.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I didn't find anything at Dish Depot that compares. I'll be getting the Dual-LNB Dish and 2 of the 3922 receivers free with free installation and the first month for free. I just pay $30 for shipping and handling (and sign up for 11 months).
The 501 receiver looks fun, but I don't want to pay the monthly subscription for the service. I want to pay what I'm paying now for cable. Eventually, when the budget allows, I'll be able to upgrade.
Bill
------------------

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
The DishPVR Plan is $60/month, whereas the same whole house plan on a regular receiver is $50/month (Digital 150 Home Plan). I won't even be getting the Digital 150 plan, I'm going to have to settle for the Digital 100 Home Plan for starters ($41/month).
Or am I wrong? Can you use the DishPVR 501 with the Digital 100 Home Plan and still be able to record programs and get the PVR service?
Bill
------------------

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
You are referring to LEASE plans.
I've only compared purchase plans, so I am not very familiar with the lease plans.
If you e-mail Dish Depot, perhaps they can come up with something comparable.

Mike Bushroe

Auditioning
Bill,
I got Dishnetwork myself about 2 months ago, and like it very much. Productivity around the house has dropped considerably :). In my deal, I bought one receiver, a 4922(?) and dish, and got the second receiver and installation free. I think my second receiver is the 3922. It has no s-video out, and only one set of composite/stereo outputs. Plus, it will not do the picture in a picture when using the electronic programing guide. The 4922 has an s-video, toslink digital DD out, two sets of composite video/stereo out, and has optional PIP on the EPG. The reason they are offering two free receivers might be that they are older models no one will buy any more. So I would recommend you look into upgrading at least one of them to get the better sound a picture. Otherwise, have fun, and don't expect to get much work done!
Mike

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Bill:I strongly suggest you check out the PVR 501 receiver. Of all my toys, the one unit my wife loves is my DishPlayer. The pause/rewind ability and the ability to search the listings is just fantastic.
When you eventually upgrade to one of these units, you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

Mike Bushroe

Auditioning
my mistake
blush.gif

I do not have the 3922 as my free reveiver, it looks to be a 2800. And even it has the S-video interface. My problem was that it has only one set of audio outputs, so I can't run seperate connections to my s-vhs vcr and the tv. Guess I will have to get some Y-connectors to get around taking the vcr out of timer mode to watch satelite.
Mike

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Thank you all very much for all your advice. I've cancelled the order with Skybox TV because I do NOT want a lease plan. I'd rather own the equipment. Besides, they seem to be a difficult company to work with. When I call them if I have any questions at all they take your information and "forward it on" promising they'll get back to you. Sorry, I prefer answers when I call. Skybox TV did not make it very clear on their web page that this was a lease plan. All they say is that it's a Digital Home Plan. To find out what the agreements are with a Digital Home Plan you'd have to look on Dish Networks site. I had no idea until Ken mentioned that there are even lease plans in existence.
So I'm going to check with a local shop to see what deals they are offering. If they don't have anything then I will be going to www.dishdepot.com and getting their DishPVR 501 deal and maybe a second receiver. (I assume that Dish Depot's free 501 receiver and dish are a purchase plan, right?) I'm just glad that Skybox TV was backlogged. If not for that it would probably already be installed and I'd be screwed for any future "new subscriber only" deals.
Dish Depot lists a 301 receiver. I can't find the specs on that on www.dishnetwork.com . Anywhere I can find those specs? Is the IR blaster just an IR port on the back of the receiver, or is it a wire that I can stick to my vcr's IR port? (I'm assuming the IR blaster is used by the receiver to send IR commands to the vcr, right?)
Thanks again,
Bill
------------------

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Is the IR blaster just an IR port on the back of the receiver, or is it a wire that I can stick to my vcr's IR port? (I'm assuming the IR blaster is used by the receiver to send IR commands to the vcr, right?)
The IR blaster is generally similar to the IR emitter on a remote. It's usually built into the front panel of the receiver - sometimes, on the front and top edges. Usually, it's strong enough so that the IR bounces off the far wall and returns to your entertainment center to control the VCR.
Complete info/specs on the 301 can be found at:
Link Removed

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Thanks Ben.
I used to browse UBID from time to time but never actually ordered anything. Let me know if your transaction goes well.
JB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks