What's new

Woo! Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" finally has an official release date! (1 Viewer)

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Yes, you read that right, Wilco fans. Three years after their last album, Summer Teeth, and an arduous ordeal which eventually led to Jeff Tweedy and the gang leaving Reprise Records, their "new" album, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot finally has a release date:
Tuesday, April 23.
(The same day that hundreds of dollars worth of Star Wars: Episode II merchandise is released--yowch!)
http://www.wilcoweb.com/news.html
(Tried to post a pic of the album cover here, but couldn't do it right--check it out at the link, though).
I've had a copy of YHF since last fall (thanks BB) ;), and it's an incredible record. (And yeah, I'm definitely picking up the official release, too)
Just wanted to share the good news!
-mwb-

KrisM

Second Unit
Well, its about time! I've been looking forward to this one for awhile. What is the deal with the film? Is it going to be a video only release?

KrisM

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I've been resisting the temptation to acquire this one surreptitiously, and am glad that I will soon be rewarded. How does it sound compared to their previous stuff? "Summerteeth" is my favorite because of the cool vintage keyboard sounds, but I like the first two albums and Tweedy's tracks on Uncle Tupelo's "Anodyne" a lot, too.

Regards,

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Good news! I also have had access to YHF for a while now ;) and will also pick up the official release on April 23.
Ken--YHF is somewhat of a departure from most of their previous stuff. It has been described as more "experimental" in nature. There are some different sounds on the album that maybe haven't been a part of the WILCO sound to date, but overall it is still grounded in the "classic" WILCO sound. Less poppy and retro sounding than "Summerteeth", with a more atmospheric texture to it at times. That being said, there are quite a few great "pop" songs..."Kamera", "War on War", "Jesus, etc", "Heavy Metal Drummer", "Pot Kettle Black".
Check out link below for more, including my initial review/reaction to YHF upon first few listens. I maybe overreacted a bit as to just how great an album it is then, but it is a very fine album from one of the best bands going today. After some time has passed I no longer believe it is better than "Summerteeth", but it will no doubt be in my TOP 10 list for 2002. So, yeah, it is very good!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...+hotel+foxtrot
Matt--What do you think of some of the other CD's you came across back in the fall?:)

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
KrisM--Check out http://wilcofilm.com for news on "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart", the WILCO documentary by filmmaker Sam Jones. Oh man does it sound good! Can't wait for this one. Shot in black and white. They are shooting for a theatrical release, but also a television release and DVD some time later.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I went to pick it up today, and the clerk at Best Buy said it was pushed back a week. I guess they needed to add a little more drama to this album's release story. :)
The other CD I was looking forward to today was the Paul Westerberg/Grandpaboy Stereo/Mono CD. They claimed they had not yet received their shipment on that one. Oh well, Circuit City was more than happy to honor Best Buy's advertised price.
Regards,

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
I went to pick it up today, and the clerk at Best Buy said it was pushed back a week. I guess they needed to add a little more drama to this album's release story
Funny. I was able to pick mine up at my local record store. I think Best Buy screwed up on this one. It's out.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
According to the full page ad in this month's ICE, the release date for the Queen DVD-A is April 30.
And my Best Buy had Wilco out front in the new release shelf for $11.99. Picked up that, the new Elvis Costello, and the Last Waltz box. I have a lot of listening to do. :)
Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks