What's new

Wondering about the Disney marketing strategy for "Treasures" series. (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The four volumes in the Disney Treasures series are limited to 150,000 copies. We all know Disney (and other companies) are very fond of limiting quantities of their product to increase its collectibility and desirability.

What I'm curious about is:

What is the normal pressing size for a DVD? I realize that must vary depending on the title and/or studio. Maybe the better question is--what would sales figures be for a popular DVD? Do many DVDs sell more than 150,000 copies? Is that an especially small amount?

Are sales figures available for any DVDs? I know record companies will release sales/unit figures (gold/platinum records, etc).

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sooooooo.
Maybe 150,000 copies isn't really all that "limited"? Seems like HTFers are still finding copies at retail outlets all over North America! :rolleyes

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i got my micky mouse and silly symphonies around the time they came out at the disney store, this week when i went to best buy for the NIN dvd, i saw that they just now got the tins, after what, like 2 months now? i thought that was kinda wierd.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I heard that Best Buy doesn't always carry catalogue titles the first week that they are out... FYI.

MattHR

Screenwriter
I'd guess that the "limited" 150,000 units refers to the tin case versions. Disney will probably keep them in print after the 150,000 tins are sold out, but with the standard Alpha cases that are inside the current tins as the new packaging. Much like Artisan did with T2, TOTAL RECALL and BASIC INSTINCT. I believe it's the packaging that's "limited", and not the content.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
I just came in from my local Sam's Club and quite by accident found the display cartons for this series. PLENTY of Davy Crockett, about 15 Disneyland, 8 Silly Symphony's and ONLY ONE Mickey Mouse in Living Color.
...welllllllllll, they now have NO Mickey Mouse In Living Color!:D :D ;) :D
Yesssssssssss :laugh:

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I don't think Disney said the tins were limited

edtions, but the DVDs themselves.

Keep in mind that many titles, Snow White amongst them,

record about a million units sold the first day of

release. So 150,000 units per title seems low.

I suspect that the actual pressing of the tins

and unexspected demand made it the "second wave"

of availability seem like a fresh batch were out,

when it probably just took Disney a while to get the

tins individually numbered.

I still se no indication that

there are more than 150,000

units total of any title,

and I don't think Disney anticipated these

selling that well, as reported, when they released

earlier black and white Mickey Mouse shorts in a

collection on laser disc, they sold very poorly.

Mark

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that many titles, Snow White amongst them, record about a million units sold the first day of release. So 150,000 units per title seems low.
That's exactly what I was wondering about. Do you really suppose one million people walk into retail stores or order on-line a single particular title (like Phanton Menace, for example) on the first day of its release? I've seen a number of posters here ask if bulk sales to rental outlets like Hollywood Video and Blockbuster get included in that figure. Or, do they count the sales to places like Wal-Mart, CostCo, etc--who then, in turn, re-sell it to the individual consumer?

Either way, if DVDs like Snow White or Phanton Menace sell anywhere near 1 million copies, it seems like 150,000 is truly limited.

Then, I guess I am amazed that it is still possible to find copies of Disney treasures on store shelves (and on-line) more than a month after its release. Seems like individuals (like myself), collectors, and eBay re-sellers would have snatched up each and every last one by now.

MikeAW

Second Unit
I only picked up the "Disneyland" and "Davey Crockett" releases and am very happy with them...especially the "Davey Crockett" DVD set !

Lots of memories there ! Hope Disney goes into the "Spin and Marty", "Mickey Mouse Club" and "Wonderful World of Disney" vaults !

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
I suspect that the Mickey Mouse DVDs will become a hot item in the future, with the Silly Symphonies coming in close behind it. The only Mickey Mouse collection I remember seeing in the ol' LaserDisc days was a collection of black and white cartoons for around $125 list. This is an awesome deal at around $25.

I think people are still finding them at retail because Disney hasn't been pushing them, as far as I can tell. I haven't seen any advertising for them, other than the back of the Snow White booklet (and how many consumers pore over those?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xcvbszdfzsfsa
Recent bookmarks