What's new

'Within the Woods' pulled from Anchor Bay's Evil Dead? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
If you read further down into the referenced thread, Anchor Bay confirms they had cleared all the music recently and that music is not what is holding it up. It almost has to be a student actor/actress.

Jeff

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
I suppose it's possible that the R2 edition will contain "Within the Woods", given that legal rights of ownership etc may be different outside the USA.

However, my expectations are lowered by the fact that any such footage would have to be cleared by the BBFC for a UK DVD release, and I cannot (yet) see it listed on the BBFC's website database.

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
By the way, if the UK retail price is indeed the £20 ($29) mentioned on the announcement, then I'm cancelling my order for the R1 edition!

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
Two things:
Post Edited by Administrator-We don't promote bootleg material on this forum!
2) It isn't that good. Aside from its historical value, you're not missing much.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if this information is correct but according to this link it looks like "Within the woods" is going to be included on the R2-version.
I bet it gets yanked from there too. The R2 guys said their Transformers: The Movie would be widescreen till at the 11th hour they figured out it can't be done, and rented the Rhino transfer.

Student actors also canned the Buffy unaired pilot from the Season 1 set (Bizarro Willow)

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
"It isn't that good. Aside from its historical value, you're not missing much."

Hmmmm.

I've never seen it, but everyone has to be prepared that it might not be that great. You can't say Anchor Bay hasn't tried. Me, I'll be enjoying the new Anchor Bay disc when it comes out.

Can't wait.

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
That really sucks. But anyways...I'm still buying it since I've held out so long without the original in my collection. Thankfully Bruce Cambell's "Fanalyisis" is still on the disc too.

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
If the UK release ist UNCUT, will it be exactly the same (besides that WOOD documentary) as the US version?
Thank you,
Sebastian. :)

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Okay, so the only real reason to buy the Book of the Dead edition is because of 2 documentaries? I dont know, I dont think thats worth an extra $20. Well have to see how much the BOTD edition is.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Is within the woods available anywhere? I really want to see this movie, can I get it anywhere in any format?

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
OK, so a new THX-approved, 16x9 transfer isn't enough for you people? What you're saying is that AB should have just released WITHIN THE WOODS and charged $50 for it? And to those bitching about the price, do you actually expect to have to pay $49.99 for it? You know you'll be able to find it discounted enough that you'll be paying about the same as what Elite charged for their version with a better transfer, better extras, superb packaging and a working photo gallery? This is some kind of a problem?

I happen to know for a fact that Anchor Bay spent a lot of time and trouble to get WITHIN THE WOODS on this disc and that they're as disappointed as everyone else is that it's not going to be on the disc. What's keeping it off, I don't know, but there was a massive effort on AB's part that few seem to know about and (seemingly) few of you even appreciate. As I was not 100% pleased with the previous edition of EVIL DEAD, I'm still looking forward to getting the new, improved version. Shouldn't you?

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
The problem is, Anchor Bay should have had their ducks in a row. They either didn't dot all the i's or got some bad information. They had Within The Woods on all their pre-release information.

Elite's version is still the one to top. 16x9 transfer might mean the stars to you but on a 16mm film, you may as well ask for a 16x9 transfer of Citizen Kane.

Elite's transfer is excellent, the 5.1 track is excellent, the commentary is the same, etc.

Isn't AB going to release a cheaper version, without the packaging? If I had to have 16x9, I would just get that version. Sadly, the premium they are asking for deluxe set just isn't worth it anymore. They should either delay the title and work out a deal or just release it with WTW and get a good lawyer.

Doug

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I understand that Anchor Bay is indeed disappointed about "Within the Woods" not being on the disc, but if that's the case, they should knock the price down $5 as a token sign of goodwill. It looks cool, sure, but as I already have the Elite disc and have seen the amusing-if-slight "Fanalysis" when they showed "The Evil Dead" at the Egyptian Theater on Halloween, this isn't an immediate purchase I need to make right now. "Within the Woods" would have pushed me over the top on this issue, I admit.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Although I'm still planning on getting the Book Of The Dead eddition (mainly because I don't already own Evil Dead, and this looks to be the best version of it), I am disapointed that Within The Woods won't be in the set. I was thinking that it'd be pretty cool of Anchor Bay to keep on trying to get the rights to distribute Within The Woods, and then send it out to people who have the Book of the Dead edition (mail in proof of purchase or somesuch).

david cro

Agent
Are you (Matthew K) on Anchor Bay's pay roll or what, it all sounds very touching. I'm not bothered how much time or trouble they spent trying to get 'Within The Woods', perhaps if they had dug as deep into their pockets as they expect us to do, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Together with that I've still got reservations on the 16x9 issue unless they window box it, and re-buying special features (commentaries) I already have. Yes I do like 'special edition' packaging, but when all said and done it comes down to what's on the disc. So 'Anchor Bay' I'll give you some advice, DELAY until you can give us 'The Ultimate Evil Dead Experience' after all you wouldn't want us to feel we have to buy another Evil Dead DVD release in the near future, or would you?????????????

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
So 'Anchor Bay' I'll give you some advice, DELAY until you can give us 'The Ultimate Evil Dead Experience' after all you wouldn't want us to feel we have to buy another Evil Dead DVD release in the near future, or would you?????????????
Anchor Bay has stated that they don't see any release of Within The Woods -- from them or any other company -- as a realistic prospect at any time, period. A delay would likely be useless.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Anchor Bay has stated that they don't see any release of Within The Woods -- from them or any other company -- as a realistic prospect at any time, period. A delay would likely be useless.
That is the same thing Elite said years ago, then Anchor Bay comes around and says they can release it.
Trust me, it will be released someday even if we have to wait until it becomes public domain ;)
I fear this is a Twin Peak's:Fire Walk With Me fiasco. That is why they are so hush hush on the reasons. It probably is going to cost them more than they think they are going to recoup.
To be really cynical (like I always am), maybe they do have the rights but have to pay some sort of royalty. They looked at the prebook/preorders and decided it wasn't worth it. They knew they were losing money so why bother?
This close to release date, something fishy is going on.
This ranks up there with the exclusion of Exhausted from Boogie Night:SE at the last minute. At least we knew why on that one.
Doug

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
This ranks up there with the exclusion of Exhausted from Boogie Night:SE at the last minute. At least we knew why on that one.
We have a vague idea of why. Patrick Reese from Darkageproductions (works with Tom Sullivan and was apparently involved with production of this disc/packaging in some capacity) posted in this thread:
http://www.deadites.net/cgi-bin/ib3/...t=ST;f=1;t=127
It's just one individual, apparently involved with Renaissance Pictures, who waited until the 11th hour to voice his concerns...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks