What's new

'Within the Woods' pulled from Anchor Bay's Evil Dead? (1 Viewer)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
A while ago, Anchor Bay posted the disc details for both editions of The Evil Dead on their website (sans cover art), which prominently featured the full-length short film 'Within the Woods' on the spec listings, but was pulled a couple of days.
For those who don't know, Within the Woods is the Super-8 short film version of The Evil Dead (starring Bruce and some other members of the cast) originally shot by the filmmakers to raise funds from potential backers, and is the Holy Grail for Dead-fans the world over, and was the greatest cause of excitement around Anchor Bay's "definitive" (umpteenth) re-release.
Now it's back up, and 'Within the Woods' is nowhere to be seen, on either version (even though it was only going to be included on the Book of the Dead edition).
Book of the Dead edition
Standard edition
Anchor Bay's website is generally totally accurate and punctually updated, so is this just an unfortune omission, or has the film been pulled due to much-discussed music rights issues?

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
isn't this part of the second disc of the set?
I hope that it is just an error on Anchor Bay's site... otherwise I will cry and not buy the Dawn of the Dead 3-Disc Limited Edition (ok... maybe I won't go that far ;) )
...even without "Within the Woods" it will still be an amazing set (but I am 95% sure it will be on there), in fact, I preordered it months ago... yeah!

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Well, the original version of the specs page didn't mention anything about two discs, but most certainly did mention 'Within the Woods', which is curiously missing.

Since Anchor Bay are so bang up-to-date with their website, it raised my alarms.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
From Anchor Bay's site: a special 24-Page "Bringing The Dead Home For Dinner" collector's booklet
that is the first I have heard of a booklet
I am assuming it is a 2-Disc set from what I have read on www.horrordvds.com ...Evil Dead is one of my favorite film series (just look at my sig) and I hope that Anchor Bay makes the best presentation ever (which I am sure they will... as they do with almost everything)

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I've got my fingers crossed 'Within The Woods' is on there! It's the only reason I'm buying the Anchor Bay version.

Richard

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
The picture of the "Book" packaging from the above link looks very nice.

I am hoping Within the Woods is indeed included, so hopefully this will be the last disc for this series I purchase for awhile.

J

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Damn. Within the Woods was the primary reason I was planning on picking up the Book of the Dead edition as I already have Elite's fine version. Hmmmm, what to do, what to do...

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
:frowning: if anybody wants me... I will be crying... but I am still looking forward to the Book of the Dead
But what I want to know is WILL WE EVER SEE THIS FILM?? EVER?! who owns the rights? I think it is a group of private investors somewhere

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I thought Raimi and the team created from "Within the Woods"? What possible legal issues could be involved??? Sheesh, this whole thing of rights issues is making me angry.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
This is too funny.

Us laserdisc veterans will no doubt remember "Within the Woods" being a last minute stumbling block since Elite's first release.

The LD was delayed over a year IIRC.

I think it was going to be included on the Elite DVD as well.

What is the big hurdle for a stupid Super8 film? Something tells me a student actor/actress must be the problem.

Anyway, thanks for the notice Anchor Bay, I'll save the $50 and keep the excellent Elite version.

Doug

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
I too believe that it is music rights issue. Since the guys never intended, to release the film, they never secured the rights to the music they used. So I hear, anyhow.

Rob_C

Stunt Coordinator
$50 is too much to spend without Within The Woods, cool case or not. The Elite version is fine.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
When I saw Bruce C. on his book tour, he said flat-out that only bits and pieces of "Woods" would be included because of "all the music we stole on the soundtrack."

I guess it's impossible at the point to go back and sub in different music, and the purists probably wouldn't want that anyway.

Ryan

Patrick_J

Agent
Maybe they can do what Cameron Crowe did with his "stairway to heaven" sequence on the Bootleg version of Almost Famous. He couldn't get the rights to actually use Zep's version of stairway so he included the scene as an extra on the disc with on-screen commands for folks at home to cue up and start the song at the right moment. It's pretty funny actually because the entire sequence is silent, but at least that way fans still get to view that part of the film.

-pjc

Magnus_M

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if this information is correct but according to this link it looks like "Within the woods" is going to be included on the R2-version.

JavierS

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't that kind of messed up?? Last I heard, they WERE going to include it. I think if they aren't 100 percent sure, they shouldn't advertise it. I think those who have preordered this title should cancel their orders and Email Anchor Bay know, I know I will :frowning:
P.S. Please don't say "It isn't Anchor Bay's fault" You know what? IT IS!! Within the Woods was a HUGE selling point for Evil Dead fans, Anchor Bay knew it, they advertised it, now the disc won't even have it.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
$50 is too much for some novelty latex and a dubious new "OAR". I'm sticking with my Elite version. Shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks