'Within the Woods' pulled from Anchor Bay's Evil Dead?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Robertson, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

A while ago, Anchor Bay posted the disc details for both editions of The Evil Dead on their website (sans cover art), which prominently featured the full-length short film 'Within the Woods' on the spec listings, but was pulled a couple of days.
    For those who don't know, Within the Woods is the Super-8 short film version of The Evil Dead (starring Bruce and some other members of the cast) originally shot by the filmmakers to raise funds from potential backers, and is the Holy Grail for Dead-fans the world over, and was the greatest cause of excitement around Anchor Bay's "definitive" (umpteenth) re-release.
    Now it's back up, and 'Within the Woods' is nowhere to be seen, on either version (even though it was only going to be included on the Book of the Dead edition).
    Book of the Dead edition
    Standard edition
    Anchor Bay's website is generally totally accurate and punctually updated, so is this just an unfortune omission, or has the film been pulled due to much-discussed music rights issues?

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

isn't this part of the second disc of the set?
    I hope that it is just an error on Anchor Bay's site... otherwise I will cry and not buy the Dawn of the Dead 3-Disc Limited Edition (ok... maybe I won't go that far [​IMG] )
    ...even without "Within the Woods" it will still be an amazing set (but I am 95% sure it will be on there), in fact, I preordered it months ago... yeah!

3. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Well, the original version of the specs page didn't mention anything about two discs, but most certainly did mention 'Within the Woods', which is curiously missing.

Since Anchor Bay are so bang up-to-date with their website, it raised my alarms.

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

5. Richard Smith

Richard Smith Stunt Coordinator

I've got my fingers crossed 'Within The Woods' is on there! It's the only reason I'm buying the Anchor Bay version.

Richard

6. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

The picture of the "Book" packaging from the above link looks very nice.

I am hoping Within the Woods is indeed included, so hopefully this will be the last disc for this series I purchase for awhile.

J

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Probably some legal hassle that must be ironed out

8. AndrewR

AndrewR Stunt Coordinator

9. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Damn. Within the Woods was the primary reason I was planning on picking up the Book of the Dead edition as I already have Elite's fine version. Hmmmm, what to do, what to do...

10. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

[​IMG] if anybody wants me... I will be crying... but I am still looking forward to the Book of the Dead
    But what I want to know is WILL WE EVER SEE THIS FILM?? EVER?! who owns the rights? I think it is a group of private investors somewhere

11. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I thought Raimi and the team created from "Within the Woods"? What possible legal issues could be involved??? Sheesh, this whole thing of rights issues is making me angry.

12. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I for one am sick of all this legal crap! Anchor Bay should indefinitely delay this title until they can actually secure the rights. If they release as scheduled, I'll buy it....but I won't buy any more re-releases for the sake of 'Within The Woods'. This purchase is already number 2 for me as I already got the Elite version.[​IMG]

13. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

This is too funny.

Us laserdisc veterans will no doubt remember "Within the Woods" being a last minute stumbling block since Elite's first release.

The LD was delayed over a year IIRC.

I think it was going to be included on the Elite DVD as well.

What is the big hurdle for a stupid Super8 film? Something tells me a student actor/actress must be the problem.

Anyway, thanks for the notice Anchor Bay, I'll save the $50 and keep the excellent Elite version.

Doug

14. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

There was a song heard in the film that rights can't be cleared for, I think it is.

15. Scott Dill

Scott Dill Stunt Coordinator

I too believe that it is music rights issue. Since the guys never intended, to release the film, they never secured the rights to the music they used. So I hear, anyhow.

16. Rob_C

Rob_C Stunt Coordinator

$50 is too much to spend without Within The Woods, cool case or not. The Elite version is fine.

17. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

When I saw Bruce C. on his book tour, he said flat-out that only bits and pieces of "Woods" would be included because of "all the music we stole on the soundtrack."

I guess it's impossible at the point to go back and sub in different music, and the purists probably wouldn't want that anyway.

Ryan

18. Patrick_J

Patrick_J Agent

Maybe they can do what Cameron Crowe did with his "stairway to heaven" sequence on the Bootleg version of Almost Famous. He couldn't get the rights to actually use Zep's version of stairway so he included the scene as an extra on the disc with on-screen commands for folks at home to cue up and start the song at the right moment. It's pretty funny actually because the entire sequence is silent, but at least that way fans still get to view that part of the film.

-pjc

19. Magnus_M

Magnus_M Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if this information is correct but according to this link it looks like "Within the woods" is going to be included on the R2-version.

20. JavierS

JavierS Stunt Coordinator

Isn't that kind of messed up?? Last I heard, they WERE going to include it. I think if they aren't 100 percent sure, they shouldn't advertise it. I think those who have preordered this title should cancel their orders and Email Anchor Bay know, I know I will [​IMG]
    P.S. Please don't say "It isn't Anchor Bay's fault" You know what? IT IS!! Within the Woods was a HUGE selling point for Evil Dead fans, Anchor Bay knew it, they advertised it, now the disc won't even have it.